ATF: Bighorn - Weatherstripping issues

SeattleLion

We have only taken 3 trips with our 3160 EL. There have been two problems with the weatherstripping. The biggest issue is with a tubular rubber piece that runs across the top of the living room sllide. It appears to run on a track. While we were driving with the slides closed of course, it worked it's way backward till almost all of it was hanging to the rear of the slide. When I got on the ladder to check it, all that held it in place was a little dab of Dircor on the end. This had pulled off, taking part of the vinyl stripe with it. We removed the weatherstripping and plan to try to get it back in place this weekend. What can we do to hold it in place? Clearly the factory approach failed.

On the other side, the kitchen slide has vertical weatherstripping that seals the closed slide to the body. This has fallen down. On closer inspection (see picture), you can see that the screw that held it in place just caused the rubber to tear. Now, every time we open the slide, we have to work that stripping back up before we can close the slide. What does the factory suggest here?

I'm more than a little surprised at both of these issues. I would like to resolve them once and for all. I have an appointment at Fife RV, our dealer. The first one I could get was September 7. We have a bunch of trips planned before then.

Attachments

• weatherstripping on slide.jpg
    weatherstripping on slide.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 124

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I had the same problem on both my Big Horns with the seal sliding back. I solved the problem with some Gorilla glue at each end and I ran screw with a washer through the seal into the side of the coach at each end. Problem was solved.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Screws would work. If you want them to never come off again. Buy 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive.....any auto parts store will have it. Put a few dabs in the channel and put the weatherstrip back on. Only drawback is.....its takes dynamite to remove them.