ATF: Bighorn - Whisper Quiet ducting design issue

Ldo

Heartland installed acs two ways. Initially we were told we had zones 1 & 2. Turns out that we have two acs and both are zone 1's. If you try to change either to zone 2 you will get an E 1 error code. Turn them off and start over. What is a plentium? 3270rs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ldo

Thanks Chris. I will check that out day after tomorrow. I'll let you know. AC is somewhat weak. AZ 3270rs

SNOKING

Thanks Chris. I will check that out day after tomorrow. I'll let you know. AC is somewhat weak. AZ 3270rs

I cut off a length of a thinner pool noodle the wide of the duct and put it up thru the bathroom vent to prevent the BR AC from sending air to the living area supply vents, separating it into two separate systems. I have not had hot weather to test it, but the bedroom was getting a lot of cold air.

Chris

Ldo

Our bedroom is in good shape ac wise. It's the living area that is a little flaky.

We could use a little bedroom air down there. I think heartland already separated the two. Feel this way as in Phoenix while packing and on 30 amps we closed off the bedroom and it had no cold air there.

Last edited by a moderator:

aRAYwego

bebaeaf63eb19cee17c4b6e753fcd433.jpg
I took this pic through the vent closest to my LR a/c. I think this explains the discoloration in my ceiling from a few months ago. Now to figure out what to do about it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ldo

What the heck are those people at Heartland thinking and doing? Where is the quality control? For the life of the coach you should never have had to look there!! Sorry

NHCelt

This is front to back from the bathroom cold air vent of our 2016 Heartland. Surprisingly, I don't think it is an issue, but it is an intrusion into the ductwork and we shouldn't have to deal with that.

You are seeing the bathroom vent frame on the left and the skylight on the right. Sloppy work...but it was the end of run blocks and failure to properly install the ac units to the roof that caused our problems.

Heartland has an issue here...and the fix may be worse than the problem in some cases.

I agree. We should never have to be trying to fix our ductwork.

Attachments

• IMG_20160330_170309176.jpg
    IMG_20160330_170309176.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 133

BusManRG

Love these forums and the tremendous volume of info available. And love the Ask the Factory forum. I can imagine as Mr. Beletti stated that it is difficult for them to address each post. That being said, there are over 160 posts here. Is there any sign that the factory is listening? We've just ordered a new Big Horn and it's a bit worrisome. Hopefully they will address all of these A/C issues ASAP.

danemayer

Is there any sign that the factory is listening? We've just ordered a new Big Horn and it's a bit worrisome. Hopefully they will address all of these A/C issues ASAP.

As some who have called Heartland have already pointed out, the factory has received the feedback and is working on it. But if you're waiting for an engineer to post something here, that's not likely to happen.

BusManRG

As some who have called Heartland have already pointed out, the factory has received the feedback and is working on it. But if you're waiting for an engineer to post something here, that's not likely to happen.

No, not directly, just a simple acknowledgement that they are aware and looking into it. Similar to what you just posted.

I talked with Jim Fenner again today(I'm sure he wishes I would just wait for him to call me, but he isn't living in a home that approaches 90F on hot days with occasional showers in the bedroom) and he said they ran through several fixes and tests on their test unit and have come away with not enough drainage when A/C unit shuts down--overwhelms existing holes and flows back into coach. The fix is drilling more holes in the A/C base plate so it can handle the volume of water. He said they should have written instructions out tomorrow and will have a mobile tech fix it--so no trip to Indiana. I'm happy (if this really is the fix) and a little disappointed because I have a long laundry list of other problems that need to be fixed under warranty--most that should never have occurred with good QC. Never again a Heartland product.

SNOKING

Anything said about the air flow issues?

The whole issue of missing duct end blocks, intrusions into the ducting of skylight installations, and gaps in the plenum ducting below that actual unit need to be address for recent build like mine.

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

I talked with Jim Fenner again today(I'm sure he wishes I would just wait for him to call me, but he isn't living in a home that approaches 90F on hot days with occasional showers in the bedroom) and he said they ran through several fixes and tests on their test unit and have come away with not enough drainage when A/C unit shuts down--overwhelms existing holes and flows back into coach. The fix is drilling more holes in the A/C base plate so it can handle the volume of water. He said they should have written instructions out tomorrow and will have a mobile tech fix it--so no trip to Indiana. I'm happy (if this really is the fix) and a little disappointed because I have a long laundry list of other problems that need to be fixed under warranty--most that should never have occurred with good QC. Never again a Heartland product.

What about the rest of us????

With a 2011 unit do you have the Brisk Air unit that our 2016-2017 have installed?

Chris

My problem hasn't focused on airflow but on water coming back on shutdown. He didn't comment on airflow.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi billvenohr,

I'm guessing if you're under warranty you might need to update your forum profile where it says your current rig is a 2011 Bighorn.
Sorry--my first post gave my background that we just purchased a 2017. Need to update my profile.

SNOKING

I am afraid we will have to live with it, their may be some improvement going forward

I disagree, I just purchased a NEW 2017 3575el that has TWO 15,000 BTW air conditioners, that should be able to cool a 400+ sq ft trailer. It is my feeling that Heartland/Dometic needs to figure this out on existing units they have sold. Chris

danemayer

I disagree, I just purchased a NEW 2017 3575el that has TWO 15,000 BTW air conditioners, that should be able to cool a 400+ sq ft trailer.

Keep in mind that similarly sized Landmark 365 models can be equipped with 3 air conditioners. Obviously Heartland and many owners believe that in some climates, 3 units may be necessary. Landmark 365 has a Power Control System that manages overall power usage so that all 3 A/C units can be used.

SNOKING

Keep in mind that similarly sized Landmark 365 models can be equipped with 3 air conditioners. Obviously Heartland and many owners believe that in some climates, 3 units may be necessary. Landmark 365 has a Power Control System that manages overall power usage so that all 3 A/C units can be used.

I have a friend in Palm Springs right now in 120 degree days. He has three units on his MS. I have no plans to be down South in that kind of heat. Winter months in Arizona on each end reach the low 90's front time to time, do you think that two units will keep us happy? We were going to head South in early Oct. Chris