ATF: Bighorn - Whisper Quiet ducting design issue

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Ernie,

Heartland Engineers and outside firms related to the design of the duct system do not get on this forum. Please don't expect to hear from them here.

I have passed this thread along to upper management at Heartland so they are aware that some retail customers are unhappy with the performance of this system.

Jim,
Is there any response from Heartland on this matter? Do we know whether or not there is a seal between the ceiling panel and three sided duct in the foam?

mikeandconnie

I went to Lazy Days RV yesterday and went through many new RVs all of them used the adjustable type here https://www.rvsupplyparts.com/catal...adjustable-ceiling-vent-acg25dpw-a-10498.html and was blowing well. I purchased one to try out and installed it in my bathroom. It was a tad smaller but will fit if your carful where you place the screw. I like being able to adjust my vents and the louvers are larger so I plan to change all mine.

Last edited:

danemayer

I'm not sure the airflow situation is new to Whisper Quiet. The old TimK Tent mod on earlier designs essentially redirected airflow to get more air pressure into the ducts. I did that mod and also installed adjustable vents in the bedroom, bath and kitchen to get more airflow in the living room.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm not sure the airflow situation is new to Whisper Quiet. The old TimK Tent mod on earlier designs essentially redirected airflow to get more air pressure into the ducts. I did that mod and also installed adjustable vents in the bedroom, bath and kitchen to get more airflow in the living room.

The problem with Whisper-Quiet is there is no access to add anything like a tent. And most people cannot reach into the 2.5" tall duct (through a vent) further than mid-forearm. Your palm has to be basically open, a hand holding something likely won't fit, either.

Maybe HL needs to consider adding an access panel in the ceiling directly below the ACs for "maintenance". It could just be a square section of ceiling board over an opening. Maybe not quite as asthetically pleasing, but it would make it easier to check for problems.

sjandbj

Dan,
After all these changes did you see a big improvement? I got my rig just before the Whisper Quiet units came out so I could do the mods listed above.

Steve

danemayer

Dan,
After all these changes did you see a big improvement? I got my rig just before the Whisper Quiet units came out so I could do the mods listed above.

Steve
Big improvement? No. Worthwhile improvement though. When it's 100 degrees outside and the sun's hitting your doorside windows, everything gets important.

Apart from the mods, the most significant thing for me is to keep the temperature low in the morning before it starts getting hot. Once the A/C falls behind, it doesn't catch up until late in the evening. I also run the ceiling fan on low speed to circulate the air.

It also helps to move to Colorado. :rolleyes:

TravelTiger

Today it's 82 outside, 76 inside. Think we made an improvement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

I have all the new vents installed now. Today it's 87, 58% humidity, and it's 75 inside! Definite improvement.

e5e69f7319200e74f29fc4acd5bf056d.jpg

TravelTiger

I will add one more note about our solution. We have some Vonrado medium sized fans, which circulate the air very well. I decided to try a different Vornado, in hopes of circulating the air even better. I went with a Vornado 184 Whole Room Tower, 41" tall. This thing ROCKS! With the thermostat at 79, the Vornado helps circulate the air in the living room (and some in the kitchen) so that it feels cooler and the thermometer reads 77. If we put the thermostat at 77, we get 75 in the living room, and I get goosebumps! BTW, just like HL's it is not whisper-quiet on high. ;)

jbeletti

so I am still waiting to hear the reply on the engineering on this system, any one els?

Engineering will not be responding on this thread. Engineers to not engage online. I reported this discussion to Engineering and while I trust they will take this into consideration, I do not expect that I will hear back from them.

pday1213

Erika,
On the website description it has: Available in white with four molded in collar extensions; 1/4", 1", 1 1/4", and 2". Could I ask which collar extension you used? Also you said that you replaced both the in and out air vents. Which ones did you order for the intake side that has a filter so that they all match. Thanks
The first pic is the original vents that came in our 2016.

The new vent is:

http://www.dwincorp.com/products.php?product_id=11

At first I only bought for the outflow, but realized they are different color than the original. So we'll need to buy additional vents/filters for the inflow side... Or live with them being different. I am considering painting them to match.

TravelTiger

Erika,
On the website description it has: Available in white with four molded in collar extensions; 1/4", 1", 1 1/4", and 2". Could I ask which collar extension you used? Also you said that you replaced both the in and out air vents. Which ones did you order for the intake side that has a filter so that they all match. Thanks

I used the 1/4" collar. They really don't stick up into the vent hardly at all. And the same vent can be used for the intake side with a filter. You can buy filters that fit their vent, but I found that our existing filters with a hole in the middle work just fine. I bought 10 of theirs and kept 2 of my existing, so I have two sets of filters. I can put the second set in when they need cleaning very quickly, then wash and air dry the first set.

The only drawback to these vents is that they don't fit the existing holes, and need 4 screws instead of 3 (not included). So positioning the new vent cover over the hole (which is a smidge big for this cover) and cover the old screw holes, was a bit of a challenge.

Here's the screws I bought to install:
205d88fc89d8f3c2aa3b4d11ccde8c54.jpg

Size 8x3/4" metal flathead

JLDCFO

Hi y'all, jumping in here as a newbie with a 2016 3270RS with abysmal A/C. I've read through the entire thread and glad to know that many others are having the same problems we are with the A/C units. We have dual 15,000cf A/C's and the biggest problem we have is that while there mostly seems to be enough air moving through the duct work, it just isn't coming down through the vents. If we are able to run both units, it helps, but there are times when we are only hooked up to 30amp (like at home since we started this RV adventure with a 30amp travel trailer). We can't test any of these theories at home so must wait until 50 amp available. However, we are watching this thread closely to see if any resolution is forthcoming from Heartland. We WERE able to visualize the duct work with a flashlight and cell phone (ingenious combination :) ) and there were a few blocks of Styrofoam on the wrong ends of the vents at the ends of the runs, does anyone actually QC these things?

NHCelt

QC...I don't think so.

Once you get the foam end of run blocks in the right spot, I would recommend sealing them with silver foil tape. I used insulated just because I had lined the bases of my ductwork with insulated foam to help with bath and kitchen condensation. Even with the blocks in the correct places, there was enough leakage on the front ac to cause freezeups. Once sealed, the situation was resolved.

You should be feeling good suction on the intakes and strong cold flow from the exhaust side. Amazing difference in mine once they were sealed.

Now if I can get my slides to stop coming out in transit......

Celt

Ldo

Hi y'all, jumping in here as a newbie with a 2016 3270RS with abysmal A/C. I've read through the entire thread and glad to know that many others are having the same problems we are with the A/C units. We have dual 15,000cf A/C's and the biggest problem we have is that while there mostly seems to be enough air moving through the duct work, it just isn't coming down through the vents. If we are able to run both units, it helps, but there are times when we are only hooked up to 30amp (like at home since we started this RV adventure with a 30amp travel trailer). We can't test any of these theories at home so must wait until 50 amp available. However, we are watching this thread closely to see if any resolution is forthcoming from Heartland. We WERE able to visualize the duct work with a flashlight and cell phone (ingenious combination :) ) and there were a few blocks of Styrofoam on the wrong ends of the vents at the ends of the runs, does anyone actually QC these things?
Hello. Just took deliver of a 3270rs. AC is anemic. Have you made yours better? Let me know what you did. Also, how do you turn off the outside speakers? Thanks in advance, ldo

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk