ATF: Cyclone - Damaged Goods

CabinetmakerII

After waiting what seemed like an eternity (13 weeks), the Cyclone 3800 we custom ordered from the factory finally arrived at the dealership. We were just leaving home (with our trade-in in tow) for our journey to pick up our new toyhauller. Just as we were pulling onto the highway, the dealership called asking if we were on the road. That question was met with a resounding yes! The salesman said to pull over, we needed to talk. We found a safe place to pull off the road and return his call. Expecting the worst, that is what we got.

The coach we had custom ordered had arrived mostly correct. However, the factory awning that was NOT to be installed, was. Then to top that off, while in transit our coach was supposedly "backed into" which crunched the right rear corner. Superficial damage but damage none the less. Something told us we should not accept this coach because of these issues and we should just ask the dealership to bring in another 3800 that would meet our specifications. We didn't do that. Against our better judgment we opted to continue with the acceptance of this coach. We completed the paperwork and the PDI. Took the coach 20 miles down the road to "shake it down". We returned to the dealership on Monday and went over the items we found that needed attention with the service department as well as the awnings (remove the factory and install aftermarket front and rear of the slide on the curb side and repair the shipping damage corner). We were informed the dealership would bring our coach to us they hoped that Friday. With hope in our hearts, we headed home without our new coach and with out our trade-in.

The dealership said they ordered the sheet metal panel from the factory the moment it arrived at their location (Friday, April 29th). It is now 18 days later. I have asked the dealership for an update and an ETA as to when we can expect our coach. All I get is "The Factory said the part was on a truck" I asked the dealership to tell me which carrier the factory had shipped it with and to provide the "Pro" number. They have not been able to do that. That in itself tells me the part has NOT been shipped. SO who is blowing smoke? The factory of the dealership? I cannot believe it would take that long to get a part out of the factory and shipped to a customer. Factory... I provided my VIN and my phone number. I'll be waiting for an answer.

rebootsemi

Is it to late to tell the dealer that since they like the trailer so much they can just keep it and that you would need to have a brand new one delivered when they get around to it. I can not see any way you should accept that trailer, just give it back.

hoefler

Call Heartland customer service directly. Personally, I would have never accepted the unit with out substantial compensation.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Alan, I guess I'm a little confused. You had started a thread a couple weeks ago titled "What the Chuck" and said you took delivery and were on a shakedown cruise but at the time of that post there was no mention of the mishap with the awning or the crash. Is this a different situation?

I'm really wondering about the dealers part in this deal with the awning. I wonder if the dealer didn't order the awning delete in the first place. There are backer plates built into the walls during the wall lamination process. These are specifically for awning attachment brackets. How would Heartland know where to put the backer plates so that the dealer could install an awning in a different location? I also wonder if the damage to the coach may have occurred at the dealer...
Since you've already accepted the delivery of the coach, I guess you're at the mercy of the dealer at this point. I'm confident things will work out in the end but it's too bad you have to be inconvenienced in the first place.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sorry to hear about your issues with you coach. When ours was new we had a blowout causing damage to the "J" wrap sheetmetal. It too 4 weeks to get it in and we were in Elkhart at the time. Our second blowout it too 3 weeks for the J wrap to get it. For some reason J wrap is slow to get in. Keep in mind you can get the J wrap from aftermaket vendors also. As far as if the dealer ordered the parts you can call Heartland parts to verify if was ordered. Have your vin handy. Good luck with your repairs.

tcbrady

First, I want to apologize for your inconvenience! Heartland will work quickly to resolve any issues with your unit. See below for an update from the Heartland Part Manager:

They have two parts orders in the system, the first order was placed to us on the 13th which was a Friday, we put it in the system on Monday. The metal on the order is a non stock part for us we put it on transfer from the plant, it will ship today. Yesterday the dealership ordered a fender skirt they forgot on the original order, it shipped yesterday.

I will contact the dealer this morning to give them the opportunity to contact the retail with the correct information. I will follow up with the retail customer after the dealership does.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Now that is service! A reply from the VP. Not many companies have that kind of customer service. Way to go Heartland.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sorry to hear about your issues with you coach. When ours was new we had a blowout causing damage to the "J" wrap sheetmetal. It too 4 weeks to get it in and we were in Elkhart at the time. Our second blowout it too 3 weeks for the J wrap to get it. For some reason J wrap is slow to get in. Keep in mind you can get the J wrap from aftermaket vendors also. As far as if the dealer ordered the parts you can call Heartland parts to verify if was ordered. Have your vin handy. Good luck with your repairs.

We've seen delays like this as well for parts 'from the factory' (including j-wrap) for repair work. In both cases, I suspected the dealer was slow to act rather than the factory, but I did not inquire with the factory. Gritted my teeth and waited. The dealers I have dealt with have a policy: "We'll get started when we have ALL the parts."