ATF: Cyclone - Loading ramp failure

danemayer

They confirmed when pulling off the old broken door that it had been thoroughly soaked inside - which probably was the immediate cause of the failure.

If the wood rots because of water infiltration, is there any reinforcement, change in hinge mounting, change in springs, or anything else that will keep the rotten wood from breaking under load? Reinforcements will probably be helpful, but maybe the primary corrective action should be to prevent water infiltration.

VinnyD

Well, another ramp door failure to report. I have a 2009 3210 Cyclone. The ramp door is cracking across the bottom right above the hinges. Lippert is supplying a new door but I have to pay the shipping. Ouch!
When I talking to Lippert they told me that the door I am getting is the latest and greatest and will not have the same issue. They say a complete door assembly is being sent, new hinges/springs, etc..
As usual Heartland said too bad, unit is our of warranty. Cannot help you. They didn't even offer to replace the "Cyclone" decal on the door.

1231ChaseB

Get some silicone and seal the metal framework where the metal and fiberglass meet ! Otherwise water is going to run right into the bottom of the door and rot the new wood under the fiberglass !
chaseb

TheLindsays

So after reading this thread I went out in the yard to look at the door on our 2013 Torque ... same door style... same hinges... of course our door is not as long only about 7 ft... not sure that will matter as it is a steeper incline it doesnt float above the ground when dropped it goes all the way down but will certainly be watching it and at the very least putting sealer... but it seems like it may be stress on the hinges joined on the door by being such a small plate I really like the diamond plate on the door... looks good and should your mods should add support.

porthole

Retired
So after reading this thread I went out in the yard to look at the door on our 2013 Torque ... same door style... same hinges... of course our door is not as long only about 7 ft... not sure that will matter as it is a steeper incline it doesnt float above the ground when dropped it goes all the way down but will certainly be watching it and at the very least putting sealer... but it seems like it may be stress on the hinges joined on the door by being such a small plate I really like the diamond plate on the door... looks good and should your mods should add support.

There seem to be very few issues with ramp doors from the 2010 model year forward. And most of the previous issue have been on the 3210 model.
Keeping my fingers crossed too.

dbhutchins

.... They didn't even offer to replace the "Cyclone" decal on the door.

And after being blown off by Heartland, the reason you care about the decal is?...

Personally, my new, clean white door looks a lot better to me than the hokey Cyclone decal, and I'm gonna put a boat-style name and "home-port" back there.

scottyb

And after being blown off by Heartland, the reason you care about the decal is?...

Personally, my new, clean white door looks a lot better to me than the hokey Cyclone decal, and I'm gonna put a boat-style name and "home-port" back there.

Funny, I was thinking about removing the Cyclone logo on the tailgate and having a mural made.

Back in July, while loading our Gold Wing Trike for the first time into our 11' Cyclone 3612 I figured I would line up the front wheel right down the center of the door. Well guess what? It split the door seam on the inside of the door causing the door to show the indentation of the seam not only on the inside but also on the outside of the door. I called Heartland to hear what they had to say, with it out of warr. all I could do was install 1/8" aluminum tread plate to the inside of the ramp. So I installed the tread plate on the whole ramp and ran the seam horizontal on the ramp because the wood seam from the factory ran vertical on the ramp. I sure made the ramp heavier but also stronger at the same time. Knock on wood I have'nt had the water issue with the ramp but it came with the ramp sealed already from the factory. We will see how this ramp holds up with future use, I now raise the Cyclone all the way up using the front hydraulic landing legs to decrease the stress on the ramp when unloading or loading the trike, which I think really helps too. Time will tell.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I would think the aluminum tread plate is even more slippery than the original "rubber" mat when it's wet. Will you add anything to enhance traction when it's damp or wet? That's high on my list of "need to improve" items.

srgt30

Followd suggestions of others and got a bed liner kit from the local auto shop. Works great even when wet.

Sorry, Looked some more and saw this was about failure, not gaining traction

I would think the aluminum tread plate is even more slippery than the original "rubber" mat when it's wet. Will you add anything to enhance traction when it's damp or wet? That's high on my list of "need to improve" items.

The tread plate that I got from my brother who works at Alcoa Aluminum, is a non- skid tread plate and so far it has proved itself well. It's the same plate that they use for fire trucks, on the top of the "diamond" it has a very rough texture to it to prevent anything slipping while walking or driving on it in this case. I loaded the trike on it when the tires were wet and I had no problems at all.

camper

Well - I emailed the photos to Heartland and to Lippert last week. Nothing heard yet, though it's probaby fair to give 'em a few days to ponder the issue. Photos that I sent them are attached. I'll keep this posted...Don
Mine is failing in the exact same manner! 4012 2009,

danemayer

Hi camper,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I believe the new trailers coming off the line are 2014 models, so a 2009 has been around for a while. Although you may be long out of warranty, it's possible that Lippert or Heartland might help you out. It's worth a call. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. You can get the Lippert number off the left side of the main page of the forum.

camper

I contacted both Heartland an Lippert, sent them pictures of the failure. It is a design issue. Working in the automotive engineering field it is quite obvious where the fault lays. I have contacted a friend and he suggested that I first contact the company which I have. Both refused to acknowledge their ramp issue or provide a replacement ramp. Second, contact them again, which I have to no avail.
People don't knowingly spend $50 to $60K for an inferior product.

If interested I can be contacted at jandring@ford.com

Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Well I believe that I may soon be int the club of ramp door failures. It would seem that I have water infiltration under the skin of the ramp door. I noticed while sitting at the side of the road yesterday for hours waiting for good Sam to get a tow truck to me ( totally different story ) that I have delimitation along the bottom of the ramp door. That would be send due to water and since there is also some rust on the bolts along the door side of the ramp I have to believe that this is a failure waiting to happen.

Last edited:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well I believe that I may soon be int the club of ramp door failures. It would seem that I have water infiltration under the skin if the ramp door. I noticed while sitting at the side of the road yesterday for hours waiting for good Sam to get a tow truck to me ( totally different story ) that I have delimitation along the bottom of the ramp door. That would be send due to water and since there is also some rust on the bolts along the door side of the ramp I have to believe that this is a failure waiting to happen.

Sorry to hear that Kevin. We didn't get a chance to meet last week as one of us was always busy when I saw you. What happened with the original breakdown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Sorry we did not connect, my original break down was the left side lower ball-joint that failed as I was coming to a stop at the end of a off ramp. I had the fixed and had them check the other side and had the replace the right side axle too. They said I was good to go. Yesterday in Hartford Ct the other ball-joint (the one the mech said was ok) also failed "at speed" making for a very exciting 2-3 minutes as I got the 3 wheeled truck over to the side of the highway without killing anyone or being pushed into the guardrail by my trailer... Exact same failure as the first but with slightly more collateral damage as it relates to other components and my brand new axle that was installed in PA was totaled as well.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dang hate to hear that. Glad you got it stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk