Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
pyqy2uty.jpg

So this is Bad right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Your's Kevin?

Duane,

I'm afraid so. Just over a week ago I noticed the bubble and when I pulled into the Cape Ann campground on Friday to set up I notices the tear. I'll need to contact Heartland and Lippert tomorrow to see if either will do anything. In looking close at the situation there appears to be now way for water or escape after it goes between the door and the aluminum frame and it appears the there was never any kind of calking applied to the joint. Leading one to believe that a water seal was internal or not required. Obviously this sealing is required or a change of design is required, possibly some way to allow water to escape from the lower channel so the interior wood structure is not sitting in a pool of water.

oscar

Obviously this sealing is required or a change of design is required, possibly some way to allow water to escape from the lower channel so the interior wood structure is not sitting in a pool of water.

I will take a hard look at this next time I'm in the camper. May have to do something as simple as drill a few holes....

recumbent615

Duane,

I'm afraid so. Just over a week ago I noticed the bubble and when I pulled into the Cape Ann campground on Friday to set up I notices the tear. I'll need to contact Heartland and Lippert tomorrow to see if either will do anything. In looking close at the situation there appears to be now way for water or escape after it goes between the door and the aluminum frame and it appears the there was never any kind of calking applied to the joint. Leading one to believe that a water seal was internal or not required. Obviously this sealing is required or a change of design is required, possibly some way to allow water to escape from the lower channel so the interior wood structure is not sitting in a pool of water.

I am happy to report that Lippert has come through for me in this case with a new door, it should be built in the next 10 days and shipped to me, I will need to do the install or have it done, but it is good to know that they recognize that his is not how the product should perform. I will install the new door this fall... post details on what was found in the process.

recumbent615

I do not believe that there will be any heartland decals applied since this is coming from Lippert directly... I was thinking along the same lines as you ... but $$$ may limit what I can do ...

Kevin

recumbent615

so as I sit here waiting for my new door to arrive, I will express what was told to me by Lippert. From what they could tell, my door had suffered some kind of water infiltration causing the door to delaminate. With the new design that was put in place in 2010 this was not a concern for "door failure" but a cosmetic issue. I have to assume that what was meant by that statement was that the overall strength of the door was no adversely affected by the lamination separation nor was the lamination considered structural. From my earlier discussions and review of the construction cross section diagrams, it would appear that the door no longer contains wood as the pre-2010 doors did.

I will document the installation in the Cyclone forum, in a new thread.

Kevin

jpws

here is your ramp door failure!!!! not happt to say the least...loading up the Toyhauler headed to Camp Boom Diggity...and bammmmm it hit the ground. any suggestions for asap replacement would be appreciated. it is an 09 Keystone Fuzion - it's been "swelling" for 2 years or so....and very very little use. rolled a Ranger up on it...and the rear wheels fell right through it.

danemayer

Hi jpws,

I believe the doors are made by Lippert, so you'll probably want to call them directly about a replacement. Or call Keystone and see if they can help you.

jimtoo

Hi jpws,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm not sure why your posting your problems here as Keystone Fuzion is not a Heartland product, unless you just want to let everyone see the problems your having. But if you have seen swelling and knew something was wrong,, why didn't you fix it or get it repaired?

Duplicate posting is not allowed on the forum.

Jim M

recumbent615

Note that door is of similar design to the Lippert doors that were installed in the Cyclone pre 2010. Wooden frame wood, structure, and rigid foam with plywood on either side.

ray587

my 2012 roadwarrior was delaminating. Lippert sent me a new door in 2014. they are still made the same way. wood core and all.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Not sure what brand of ramp door Fuzion uses but Lippert and Challanger are the only two suppliers for ramp doors that I am aware of.

thanks,
AJ

porthole

Retired
Well - I guess I have bragged about the Cyclone giving us so few concerns over the years one too m any times that I finally jinxed myself.

When we got home from Mifflinberg several weeks ago I noticed a slight crack on the ramp by a hinge. I sealed the crack with tape to keep any water out and figured I would look to see what was up soon.
Didn't notice anything while at Luray when unloading, but after loading I noticed that the ramp felt spongy. Not wanting to take a chance I left the bike in the garage for Cherry Hill. This is what it looked like during and after taking the bike out last night when we got home.

The video is taking with the camera laying on the ground looking up, so you are seeing the bike roll out, rear wheel then front wheel.

Attachments

• Cyclone_ramp_1.jpg
    Cyclone_ramp_1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Cyclone_ramp_2.jpg
    Cyclone_ramp_2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 54

IronJ

so as I sit here waiting for my new door to arrive, I will express what was told to me by Lippert. From what they could tell, my door had suffered some kind of water infiltration causing the door to delaminate. With the new design that was put in place in 2010 this was not a concern for "door failure" but a cosmetic issue. I have to assume that what was meant by that statement was that the overall strength of the door was no adversely affected by the lamination separation nor was the lamination considered structural. From my earlier discussions and review of the construction cross section diagrams, it would appear that the door no longer contains wood as the pre-2010 doors did.

I will document the installation in the Cyclone forum, in a new thread.

Kevin
Mine is a 15 door went south in first 3 months of ownership...

Just dropped it off to have new door put on. I asked the tech to see what failed on old door to cause soft spots ...and weather it was cosmetic or structure ...

Tho I can't see a bow and severely spongy spot not compromising structure???...

Well see!!!...the door was still in the shipping crate from lippert, so I have no idea if it's the same or not
...I assume so

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish