ATF: Cyclone - Motorcycle Chock Install

porthole

Retired
I slip the clutch or just slightly clutch in and out. Although, since my clutch release is hydraulic, that may make it smoother then using a cable release clutch.

TXTiger

I have always left the bike in gear so that I could throttle back up the ramp if I had a problem but the front tire would slide even while applying the front break. I will have to try this clutch method next time I unload the bike. Thanks for the tip.

porthole

Retired
Just to be clear - on the way I do it - the engine is off when I "clutch" down the ramp. Just using the rear tire and 1st gear to control my descent.
My purpose of firmly wrapping my hand around the throttle is to avoid the temptation to grab the front brake - it will do nothing but add excitement.

As long as were talking unloading.............

The ramp can get awfully steep when you first start using it, especially at the point where the back edge of the ramp is about in the middle of the bike. Your feet are about 17 feet from the ground. Well not really, but sure feels like it.

When I load the bike I make sure the bike is square to the garage, I do not want to make any steering corrections. And once I start, I pretty much commit to getting the bike in the trailer.
Stopping midway can be bad.

Wet ramp can be equally bad. I do have a winch in the front of the trailer which I would use if I had to load in the rain, rather then take a chance.

Loading and unloading I will try and use the natural terrain if possible. One example, in my driveway, If I go to the end, I have a flat load from ramp to garage. But I can't get the bike out there, once off the ramp it is all uphill.

I will occasionally raise the front of the trailer as high as possible to make the transition from ramp to garage less "dynamic"

Last edited:

remoandiris

How much free travel do you guys have in your forks? When I say "free travel", I do not mean "slop". I mean how much further can your forks compress before the triple tree bottoms out. I ratchet down the straps until the bike is upright and the straps are tight. I leave as much free travel as possible, but that isn't always a lot.

porthole

Retired
I doubt I am compressing the forks more then a 1/2"
I'm using the straps in the front to keep the bike vertical. They are about a 60 degree angle off the front

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

The one I have is similar to the Condor. The front tire on my bike is too big to use the rear "clamp". It didn't work freestanding in the garage and I didn't care to remount it in the toy hauler.
Not sure if "similar to the Condor" means it is a clone but I have the Condor and it has adjustments that allow it to fit many sizes of wheels and front fender locations. When I first started traveling with my Ultra, I only used 2 straps as shown on the Condor web site and at bike rallies. No problems, but common sense told me there was no reason not to use more straps to be very sure nothing happened to the baby.

porthole

Retired
Couldn't find pics of just using two straps on the Condor site.

Don't know that I would "trust" only two.

I use 5 most of the time. All M&R brand http://mrproducts.com/tie-downs.aspx

2 at the front angled at about 60 degrees, down and forward
2 at the saddle bag guards 90 and down
1 around the rear wheel puling straight back

Short trips I tend to skip the rear wheel strap.

I do not compress the front fork, I let the bike ride on it's suspension.

Never had an issue and want to keep it that way.

Now - if the last part would just come in I might actually be able to ride the bike this year...................

TXTiger

I too use a Condor in my Cyclone. At first I only used 2 straps but the rear of the bike bounced over against the side wall and I was unable to back out with out getting help to lift the bike up and move it away from the wall. Now I use 4 straps, 2 on the front and 2 on the back to keep the rear of the bike from bouncing.

whp4262

Anybody useing the J&S Jacks wheel chock? I have their motorcycle lift that I use on my Goldwing and I think its probably one of the best lifts on the market. The bike sits rock solid on the lift without being tied down even when moving it around.

porthole

Retired
I too use a Condor in my Cyclone. At first I only used 2 straps but the rear of the bike bounced over against the side wall and I was unable to back out with out getting help to lift the bike up and move it away from the wall. Now I use 4 straps, 2 on the front and 2 on the back to keep the rear of the bike from bouncing.

That happened to me - :rolleyes: once :rolleyes: - in my motorcycle trailer.

Used some soapy water on the floor and a ratchet strap to pull it back over