ATF: Sundance - recall

fireplug1

how can I find out if my heartland sundance travel trailer is part of the 99-01-12 axle mount recall. I have had sway problems since we bought the trailer. I have towed landscape trailers for about 20 years and just assumed that since an rv is taller and has a higher center of gravity it was normal. Our family camps fairly light we do not have the camper jam packed and we travel with our tanks empty. I have a 2013 310bhck and we purchased it at the Hershey rv show in oct 2012. I read that it only effected the 322res but if the only difference is a foot wouldn't they use the same frame and axle placement? I know the 322res has a different floor plan. I am concerned because my rv was supposedly 1 of the first 5 made. Is there any measurements from center of axle to rear of frame or where the axle placement is supposed to be so I can take measurements. Any information would be greatly appreciated

jimtoo

Hi fireplug1,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. If you bought the unit new and did not receive a notice, it is probably not involved in the recall. But if you want you can call Heartland Customer Service, 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030, Have your VIN when you call to check.

Jim M

fireplug1

I have called and talked to several people at heartland and have been getting the same answer "your model was not part of the recall." When we purchased our RV at the Hershey RV show the 322res wasn't even an option at the time we were told it would be out in a couple of months. When I look at the production dates that effect the 322res they coincided with our production date. When looking at the specs there is an inch difference in length, placement of the slides and ofcourse the floor plan. My question to heartland was do they use the same frame? I can't see a manufacturer using a different frame for every floor plan. I inquired about measurements on where the axle placement was for the recall and what the measurements are for my model so I can compare. Heartland was going to direct the question to there legal department. What can I do know.

danemayer

Hi fireplug1,

Recalls are coordinated with the federal government (NHTSA) and it seems unlikely that your model would have been left out if it actually had the problem.

I'm not an expert on sway problems, but from reading on the forum, I've seen where they're common and are often corrected with anti-sway hitches that are properly adjusted.

There are a lot of experienced owners on the forum. If you can provide specifics about your hitch, and maybe some photos, you might get some advice on how to correct the problem.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As big as that trailer is and heavy, you definitely need a good weight distributing hitch with anti-sway fittings. Without it, it's the tail wagging the dog.

fireplug1

As big as that trailer is and heavy, you definitely need a good weight distributing hitch with anti-sway fittings. Without it, it's the tail wagging the dog.

I am using a 12000 equalizer setup that was put on at the dealer when we picked the RV. This isn't the typical tail wagging the dog this is an abrupt sway of the RV into the other lane at 50-55 mph on a straight away. My tow vehicle is a 2000 Ford excursion 7.3 that I set up for towing. Mods are add aleafs, bilstein shocks, Helwig sway bar, dp tuner, 6.0 trans cooler, John woods valve body, air lift air bags, magtech rear diff cover, 305/70r/15 Goodyear duratrac tires, and a couple others that I can't remember at this point. My RV is not overloaded we camp pretty lite. I've been beating my head against the wall and can't figure a reason why the RV did this. Everyone I have talked to said it shouldn't happen with the set up that I have.the only thing I can think of is something with the RV.

caissiel

I bet that your TV tires are to blame. I would not tow anything with those balloons.
Stability starts with the tires on the TV.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

fireplug1

Tires on my tow rig would cause the tires on the RV to sway into the other lane? I haven't had issues with any other trailer I have towed. I went with the 305/70r/16 because they handled the camper better than the 285/75r/16 that are on my 250sd. The problem is not with the tow vehicle handling it is with the trailer. A heavy haul 80000lb tow truck had a hard time keeping it on the road at 50 mph.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Two options: 1) Stay on HL's butt until you get an answer from "legal.", or 2) Take your trailer to a trailer shop (not necessarily an RV dealer) and have them check the alignment/mounting of the axles. If your trailer was doing this since you got it, you should have started rattling HL's chains long before October, 2013, when the warranty ran out. The trailer should not be selecting it's own lane.

priorguy

Also, just because the dealer setup the equalizer hitch doesn't mean it's done properly. The manual can be found online I'm sure and should provide step by step instructions. I have a different setup but even a bit of an angle or different loading of the trailer throws it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk