Awning arm doesn't extend

herefishy

Our awning arm sometimes "sticks" and has to be pulled away manually. I've tried waxing the edges, but am reluctant to try too hard to loosen the edges because it might pull away while traveling. The only thing I have thought to do is drill a hole in the front of the arm and knot a "pull cord" through it to make it easier to pull it out. Have any of you had this problem?

brianharrison

Have not had a problem extending my power awning.

There are two black knobs that can be used to hold the awning in a lower position - is it possible the sticky side black knob is tightened? It should be loose to allow it to slide as the power awning is extended.

Brian

brianharrison

Do you know the model #? Is it a power awning from Dometic?

Here is a picture similar to my awning - is yours similar?
9100-2.jpg

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Can you see where it is catching? It may be possible to use a large plastic tool, like a drywall spackling spreader, to push in where it is sticking and gently "bend" the awning arm frame out just a slight bit at that point.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have an electric awning, sans knobs, too. It doesn't stick when extending, but when it's retracted, the arms don't quite seat properly. So I get up on a ladder and knock them home. You may be experiencing something similar.

PeternLiane

Our awning arm sometimes "sticks" and has to be pulled away manually. I've tried waxing the edges, but am reluctant to try too hard to loosen the edges because it might pull away while traveling. The only thing I have thought to do is drill a hole in the front of the arm and knot a "pull cord" through it to make it easier to pull it out. Have any of you had this problem?

I too have had this issue. While we're extending the awning it will stick. We have to pull on the arm to get it to extend. Since it was cold outside the first time we thought that it might have been ice. But the next day it did it again. It was warm and dry out so I know it wasn't ice. We get to try it again in 7 weeks. If you get a good answer as to why the arm is sticking I'd love to know.

Willym

It happened to our electric awning, once, recently. It was not repeatable, and a visual inspection showed nothing obviously wrong. My only thought is that when the awning was retracted prior to the sticking event, it was perhaps subject to some sideways force from the South Texas wind. This may have caused a slight jamming of the arm parts when they reached the parked position. Time will tell.

herefishy

Can you see where it is catching? It may be possible to use a large plastic tool, like a drywall spackling spreader, to push in where it is sticking and gently "bend" the awning arm frame out just a slight bit at that point.
This is what I thought of, too, but I'm afraid to do anything that might affect how tightly it seats during travel.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our does the same thing on occasion. I have tried to bend it slightly to keep it from sticking to no avail. I have just learned to live with it thinking that is just 'the nature of the beast'.

herefishy

Well, I'm beginning to think that, too, but would like to drill a hole through the front arm and knot a "puller outer" in. Do you think that would be OK for the strength of the arm?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Don't see why it wouldn't work. I have also thought I would rather have it snug than loose cause I wouldn't want it to come out going down the road.

herefishy

I stopped by our dealer today and talked to the head of the service dept. about the awning arm, and he did say "we have had some issues with this". What he said kind of made sense, I think, but haven't looked at our awning to figure it out. He said that there are 4 screws at the top of the arm that are supposed to control the tension on the arm in relation to the awning tube, and that while it is simplistic to say just fiddle with them, it might be beneficial to take a look at how those screws set. This is my interpretation, and might not be what he really said, but could be that is where the problem lies.
Incidentally, isn't it great that the biggest problem we have with our trailer after the first year is the awning?

Last edited:

PeternLiane

I stopped by our dealer today and talked to the head of the service dept. about the awning arm, and he did say "we have had some issues with this". What he said kind of made sense, I think, but haven't looked at our awning to figure it out. He said that there are 4 screws at the top of the arm that are supposed to control the tension on the arm in relation to the awning tube, and that while it is simplistic to say just fiddle with them, it might be beneficial to take a look at how those screws set. This is my interpretation, and might not be what he really said, but could be that is where the problem lies.
Incidentally, isn't it great that the biggest problem we have with our trailer after the first year is the awning?

I tried the awning again this afternoon, It stuck again. I will have to look for these screws at the top of the awning.

donr827

I have an electric awning, sans knobs, too. It doesn't stick when extending, but when it's retracted, the arms don't quite seat properly. So I get up on a ladder and knock them home. You may be experiencing something similar.

When I had this problem on my previous SOB the tech said that the awning material needed to be moved slightly forward. This took care of the problem. With the material being out of alignment it caused the arms to not seat properly.
Don

herefishy

I tried something else that seems to be working - dremeled the arm right opposite the bolt that goes through the bracket. Just a little bit.