Awning bar pulled away from camper

neffers

Our 2009 Big Country awning arm was not right when we got our camper - looked like it was pulling away. Dealer 'supposedly' fixed it.... Well, it just pulled out and it looks like the screws are rusty, must have been getting wet and after husband inspected it as much as he could, there wasn't anything behind the wall for the screws to hook in to. All dealership did was use plastic things screws went into.... Any suggestions on how to fix this....quickly!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I believe I read on a post a long time back..... that is the way they are mounted, but should also have a bead of adhesive sealant behind the rail that is screwed to the side of the coach. This keeps moisture out and provides a second tool of attachment ( the first being the screws) Hope this helps.

eddylives

On my old trailer the top awning mount pulled out of the side of the trailer.
There was not enough left for even a 3/8" lag bolt to grab and after a little thought I used a couple of "butterfly bolts" to re secure the awning.
It worked out quite well and have had no trouble since.
You would just have to make sure there is enough depth to get it installed as they are very long.
I don't have a picture of one but imagine a long bolt with a threaded nut like centre that has two spring loaded wings that fold down to allow them through the hole and then they pop open once pushed through. then you tighten it up and the wings jam into the interior securing it in place.
They are pretty common in all hardware stores.
I must note that I had to cut the wings a little shorter to fit my application or I would have had to get longer bolts to get the wings far enough in to allow them to open up.
I hope you can make sence of this lol....sounds confusing when I re-read it lmao.

PeternLiane

On my old trailer the top awning mount pulled out of the side of the trailer.
There was not enough left for even a 3/8" lag bolt to grab and after a little thought I used a couple of "butterfly bolts" to re secure the awning.
It worked out quite well and have had no trouble since.
You would just have to make sure there is enough depth to get it installed as they are very long.
I don't have a picture of one but imagine a long bolt with a threaded nut like centre that has two spring loaded wings that fold down to allow them through the hole and then they pop open once pushed through. then you tighten it up and the wings jam into the interior securing it in place.
They are pretty common in all hardware stores.
I must note that I had to cut the wings a little shorter to fit my application or I would have had to get longer bolts to get the wings far enough in to allow them to open up.
I hope you can make sence of this lol....sounds confusing when I re-read it lmao.

It does make sense to me. I was thinking about the same thing. They might be able to use one of the fly wing bolts too. But might is the key word because we can't see it. I hope that they can so they'll be all fixed up.

eddylives

Here is a picture of what I used
And yes they are refered to as toggle bolts lol.
I had to cut the toggles shorter,about half, to be able to install them through the wood frame after drilling the hole large enough to fit the size , or you can get longer bolts to allow enough length for the toggles to open properly

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't think a toggle bolt will work. Our walls are laminated with styrofoam between the inner and outer wall so the "wings" on the toggle body may not open inside the wall. I've done the same damage to my awning bracket and used a metal screw in anchor and set it with 2 part epoxy and it has held up very well. Picture of anchor attached.

Attachments

• self drilling zi&#.jpg
    self drilling zi&#.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 28

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I think that Ray's idea will work the best. You would have to drill a large hole to use the toggle bolts. I did notice on our Horn, that there is only one bolt on the top brackets. Not a good idea.