Awning support arm repair

I have a 2006 bighorn with the manual setup awning. The screws that hold the top bracket
have worked their way out of the side. They have been loose for a while and the holes are larger than the 1/4 inch bolts installed from the factory so I need to install something larger. My question is when I have pushed the screws back into the holes there is nothing there for them to really anchor into other than the laminated side of the camper. NO studs for a good anchor. Can anyone share with me a good way to fix this problem and have a good anchor?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Shallowskiff, I had the same problem with our 2007. I used large metal anchors like the one in the attached picture. I also used 2 part epoxy on the anchors to prevent them from coming out. Still holding after 4 years and lots of windy days.

Attachments

• self drilling zi&#.jpg
    self drilling zi&#.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 18

nscaler2

We had the same problem and did something similar to what Ray did. I used two part putty epoxy putty. I stuffed some if it into the holes with a small screw driver. Then coated new larger screws with the stuff. Like Ray, mine are still holding just fine. I just wonder why they put them together without anything substantial behind where they fasten these things.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My opinion is the mounting plates are very soft aluminum and they don't take much to strip out the holes where the awnings are mounted. If they were a bit thicker, it would make an amazing difference.