awning switch or motor going bad ??

Bobby A

We are on our trip to Fl. and the last couple stops when I extend or retract the awning I have to rock the switch back and forth a couple time and then the awning starts to move. Has anyone experienced this problem and what was the fix ?? Is it the switch going bad or the motor ?? If it is the switch and I get caught with the awning extended can I remove the switch and connect the two wires together to retract it ?? kinda like a regular switch ?? Not sure what to do, need advise please. Thank you, Bobby A

Lou_and_Bette

I would check the wire connections at both the switch and motor before doing anything else...maybe just a loose connection

brianharrison

You can bypass the switch, here is a schematic of what my awning switch looks like. The voltage to the motor is simply reversed from one feed wire to the other - one way is roll awning open, and the other way is roll the awning closed.

If you rock the switch and it works intermittently, then I would suspect the switch is going bad.

Brian

Attachments

• DPDT Switch.gif
    DPDT Switch.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 65

porthole

Retired
Some awnings may have a slightly different switch. With some brands the switch is wired to provide an electric brake to keep the awning in.

Last edited:

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
If it is the motor I believe that there is a post about using a car window motor that is a replacement and about $50. sorry but do not remember the thread

RAHanock

Also make sure you have fully charged batteries. The awning motor will appear to be troublesome if you have low 12 Volts from the batteries.

Bobby A

O.k. all you electrical guys, I need your help. I received the new awning switch from Heartland today and its not the same one. First on my old switch the "EXTEND" is on top of the switch and on the new switch it says "OUT" which I would assume means EXTEND and its at the bottom of the new switch.

2nd,
The old switch has 2 terminal connections side by side at the top of the switch and 2 terminal connections side by side at the bottom of the switch. The new switch has 3 terminal connections on one side and 1 terminal connection on the other side.

3rd,
The new switch instructions states 2 red wires and 2 black wires, the wires that are attached to my old switch has 2 white wires and 2 white and green wires.

I'm sooooo confused, can someone simplify for me on how to install this new switch. I thought it would be so simple just take one wire off the old one and install it in the same spot on the new one. NOT SO MUCH!! Nothing is ease for me. Need help please.
Thanks,
Bobby

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
O.k. all you electrical guys, I need your help. I received the new awning switch from Heartland today and its not the same one. First on my old switch the "EXTEND" is on top of the switch and on the new switch it says "OUT" which I would assume means EXTEND and its at the bottom of the new switch.

Find out what brand- model awning you have and verify that info with Heartland's info. The way the awning "brake" works may dictate which is the correct switch (awning brand).

And, since you have the old switch out, email HL a picture of the both sides.

Bobby A

Find out what brand- model awning you have and verify that info with Heartland's info. The way the awning "brake" works may dictate which is the correct switch (awning brand).

And, since you have the old switch out, email HL a picture of the both sides.

I did just that, the guy I talk to at Heartland told me that the white wires on my coach is Ground and the Green & white wires is positive. I will look at it more later this evening, Man, nothing is easy, why couldn't they stick with the same switch so it would be a quick R & R.

porthole

Retired
How about posting the pics of both switches here?

Some awnings "short" the two terminals together to as a brake to keep the awning retracted. It sounds like you might have the wrong switch since it is not plug and play.

Bobby A

How about posting the pics of both switches here?

Some awnings "short" the two terminals together to as a brake to keep the awning retracted. It sounds like you might have the wrong switch since it is not plug and play.

Sorry Porthole, I took a stab at it today and installed the new switch, I only blew one fuse, I had the 2 white wires crossed. I reversed them and all is good. I've had some trouble understanding the direction for the new switch because it was different than the old one. Thanks for your help.