Axles--6000 to 7000 pounds each

jfpayne35

I have a 2010 Heartland Big Country, 36ft, (3355 model) that has two axles with a max rating of 6000 pounds each (14k max capacity for rig....of which almost 2k is on the truck bed).

Question? Has anyone ever upgraded their axles to 7000 pounds each from 6000 pounds? I've talked with Heartland folk and am in the process of talking with Lippett staff as well. Anyone who has experience with this, I'd appreciate your thoughts. :)

Thanks, John

caissiel

1. Axles have the same O.D with thicker tubes.
2. Lippert can sell the 7000 Lbs springs with 9/16" axle kit with thicker plates that keeps the spring packs better. I already bought the set to improve my own springs and the thicker plates realy performs well because the 1/2" u-bolt kit plates bend on mine and the spring pack loosened.
3. The center E-Z-Flex is heavier on the 7K but since you will never overload the existing ones you could reuse the stock ones.
4. The hubs have 8 studs and the same as 8 stud hubs on 6K
5. Brake assembly is different. but 6K will fit on the 7K tubes.
6. The brake drums are the same if 8 studs on the 6K. same part as the hubs above.

I took the info from the Standens 6K and 7K parts list that supplies the axles to Lippert. And from experience of working on my own 7K axles.
http://www.standens.com/7000axle.pdf
http://www.standens.com/6000axle.pdf

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We upgraded from 6K Lippert to 7K Dexter in September, along with heavier duty TrailAir EquaFlex and Emco springs. So far, so good, we will see how it does on a long trip in Dec.

E

jfpayne35

Thanks to both of you. Sounds like this is possible and not too difficult to do. Hopefully it won't be too costly either *S* Thanks again!

GOTTOYS

You might also want to look at the MorRyde IS suspension setup. Their smallest one has 7,000# axles. Torsion suspension set-up. Has no springs shackles or equalizers to wear out. Comes with a 5 year warranty. By the time you replace everything it probably doesn't cost much more. I plan to switch mine over in the Spring...Don

lwmcguir

The only drawback we have run into with Torsion type axles is you have to run the rig level or you really overload the rear axle. This is based on running double and triple axle stock trailers with Torsion 8K axles. The are great for long life and now maintenance other than the bearings/brakes.

I am reading your threads about Axles,weight etc, but what about the tires, I have an 09 3490BHS, and I am always checking axles, U bolts etc, but this spring I was checking the Off Shore Tires, that came with the rig, and Noticed that 2 of the 4 tires were starting to seperate on the inner side walls, I often checked the tires, but missed the inside of the tires, I replaced all 4 with new Maxxis tires, the Good Year Brand is also a very Good Tire,we get about 70 days a year travelling,

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I am reading your threads about Axles,weight etc, but what about the tires, I have an 09 3490BHS, and I am always checking axles, U bolts etc, but this spring I was checking the Off Shore Tires, that came with the rig, and Noticed that 2 of the 4 tires were starting to seperate on the inner side walls, I often checked the tires, but missed the inside of the tires, I replaced all 4 with new Maxxis tires, the Good Year Brand is also a very Good Tire,we get about 70 days a year travelling,
David, there are many many threads regarding tires. A couple years ago, Heartland was using Mission Tires. We were referring to them as China Bombs. Not quite as friendly as your "Off Shore" reference.:D I liked that. But yes, there were many issues with those and the word was out to check the tires frequently, inside and out. Air pressures were also something to be very diligent about.

Lately there haven't been near as many tire comments. There are many different brands out there and Maxxis has been one of the better brands talked about. Goodyear is preferred by most but some of the LT tires are also being used with good results. Michelin and BF Goodrich.