Backup Cameras

Sundance_kid

I tried the wireless from Wally world and it couldn't transmit the distance to the monitor. Went on Ebay an purchased a B/W camera and 5.5" monitor for under a $130. Came with a 60' cord. Started from the monitor in the truck placed in the kick pannel to the bed then up thru the corner stake pocket. Cut the cable so I could place it from the pin box into the front storage bin then down and to the back of the trailer. Mounted the camera on the back bumper as the Sundance doesn't have a rear cap. Some splicing, solder and heat shrink and works great. About 3 hours start to finish. Went with the B/W cause it had infered for night vision.

jimbb732

B&W Camera

What model camera did you get? Is it designed for outdoor use?

Does anybody make a wireless model that would work 60'??

jbeletti

Jim,

To my knowledge, no one yet makes a 12 volt wireless backup camera system that is viable at a price that is reasonable. There are high-end wireless transmission systems that could be adapted but are cost prohibitive.

That said, it's probably only a matter of time before a viable RV solution hits the market.

Jim

BluegrassMan

I saw a unit at Best buy that was built in the liscense tag trim frame, they also had units that has separate cameras w/ mounting brackets. Now if I can figure a way to hook up one of them inside a flow through tailgate, I can plug it in to my 450 camera wire that's already there. Maybe I should just unplug the one that's there and extend on back to the trailer liscense tag.

jbeletti

Poking around on some sites I frequent, here's a site that has a few wireless transmitter/receiver options (add your own camera).

The VTRM-1021 looks to be a viable option. It is $139 and requires a 9 volt DC input for powering. You can easily build or buy a 12 to 9 volt adapter to power each unit (transmitter and receiver).

This is not an RV solution per se, only componentry for one to make their own full solution.

Careful when buying wireless transmitters as part of your own solution, that the receiver is crystal controlled so that it will lock onto the transmitter frequency. Many of the less expensive systems will have a receiver with an adjustable frequency control on it and it may require constant adjustment.

Jim

jbeletti

Denny,

I've read here (Forest perhaps) and elsewhere that those license plate cams are not too suitable for the back of the 5th wheel. Just not enough power to transmit a steady/clear image when you are at speed. Perhaps they'll make an improved version one day.

Maybe you can order a second camera through Ford parts to put on the back of your 5er, then build an A/B switch for the video to switch from trailer to truck cameras.

Jim

Jimmyt5

I purchased a Unit at COSTCO for 79.00. The camera hooks on your plate. The monitor that comes with has an great picture on it.
I hooked it up to my running light so I could monitor behind me, this was great for about two days and the camera quit working,took it back and got an other one that worked good for two days. I called the factory and they said that the camera was not tough enough to stay on for long periods, said they would send me a new one put hook it up to back up light only.
Hope this saves you all some grief.

BluegrassMan

JIm:
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't see any mention of it being a wireless. I just assumed that it was hard wired in. I'm not going to jump in and do this for a while, I'll read all the posts etc. on this.

jbeletti

Hey Denny,

I assumed it was wireless based on posts I've read in the past on the license plate mounted cams and from the ones I've seen at Costco.

Jim

Jimmyt5

It is a wireless camera, but running from rear of truck it had a great picture.
I used a X10 camera wireless in my last RV, had it looking out the rear window getting power from an inside light, the RV was 30 ft and it worked alright except when some guy with a bad alternator came alongside. It only cost about $50.

Jim

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
After mosing down the road on my first trips, I felt like I really need some sort of camera setup to see behind the rig. I have a 2009 BH 3400RE. Would love it if it was wireless. Any ideas? I have a suspicion that the distance is too great?

Corin1110

We just bought a back-up camera from Camping World and will have our Bighorn dealer install it this weekend. The directions show the power wiring spliced into the brake light wires for power to the camera mounted on the LP frame. The comm between the camera and monitor is wireless, power to the monitor is through the AC outlet.

DennisZ

3rpete
Several of us including me have tried that camera without any luck, all you get is a very snowy picture, the distance is to far for that unit.

Dennis

Jimmyt5

If you leave the COSTCO on to long it will burn out. The factory told me the camera will not take that,it is not heavy duty. I have replaced two of them....

BluegrassMan

After using the Ford factory back up camera, I found it very useful. Here's my delima, I bought a Husky Liner dropped tailgate, when I take the stock gate off, I'll lose my camera. I checked locally, not compatable with ford's. So I just ordered a replacement camera that is Ford. Now when I hook it up, I think I'll make it sort of portable. In the gate for position one, up in the bed near the hitch for position two. You get better prices at: www.directfordparts.com List price is $318 I got it for $225.