Backup Cameras

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
majorbeas, read posts 51 & 58 above. I don't think you will get by spending $98.

Peace
Dave

airedale

the one reply that contained the SWIFT HITCH was luke warm to not bad........anyone else out there tried one....???

dprince99

I've been trying to find info. on the VOYAGER AOS56WX REAR OBSERVATION SYSTEM has anyone had or tried these.
thanks again,
Dave

CRLYHDS

This camera is wireless and I have read reports where people didn't like the wireless systems because they don't always work. You might want to check out rv.net for more opinions on cameras. My husband insisted we get a wired camera and I ordered it from rvcameras. Tim gives excellent customer support and recommended a camera and accessories.

RollingHome

I have 2 in dash Kenwood GPS units (after market) with rearview camera on both. They work flawlessly with the cameras. They both come on when I shift into reverse. I can also turn them on manually. I believe there are 2 video input RCA jacks. I could have 2 cameras if desired. However, the blue tooth feature has flaws in syncing to Verizon phones. Seems to be OK with ATT, why I don't know. Also, These GPS units have sat radio (Serious). The GPS is Garmin based so it's intuitive and you don't even need to read the manual. They have many more numerous features but it gets overwhelming unless you're a 20 year old geekster or have access to a brainiac :) The thing to remember with any brand GPS is 2 things, you want 2 DIN size and no mechanical flip up panels. Hope this diatribe helps you.

Steendahl

I'm pretty close to buying a 31qbs... and want to put Rear camera's on the back... I'm towning with an 08 Suburban that has the Nav Screen and backup camera already. I already have the "coastalEtech Lockpick" in my TV for that nav system that enables me to power 4 cameras, 1 backup, one Right turn signal activated, one Left turn Signal Activated, and one under 8mph activated. My thought was while towing to have the under 8mph be my TV's rear camera to see the hitch, and the backup and turn signals all mounted on the back center of the trailer, (each pointed in their perspective directions) maybe on the top of the bike rack post. so my question is, has anyone come across any cheap wired cameras (maybe keyhole cameras) that would do the job. http://www.amazon.com/PLCM22IR-Flus...UTF8&coliid=IIR6FSWSGB7FP&colid=2LZR8YAQ7RNVT this is the closest thing I can find and I think I could get 3 cameras and the cable I need for under 100 bucks. am I on the right track? Is there somewhere else that I can get this for cheaper?

jimtoo

Hi Steendahl,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure someone will jump in here soon and give you some information.

Meanwhile, enjoy the forum.

Jim M

RollingHome

Steendale, I believe getting the cable to the camera takes quite a bit of effort, so my suggestion would be 1). install so as to be able to change the cheap camera easily or 2). Buy a better camera. I also have found the cheaper cameras not to give good resolution in color as they age. The B&W ones have better resolution. A good source for cheap weathertight cameras is Harbor Freight Tools. Normally $ 29.00 for a B&W ($39.00 color). Most of these type cameras need a 12 VDC source to operate. Check HF on line.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
OK so I read this whole thread, AFTER we purchased the Costco license plate camera and attempted install on the ER. No go, as ya'll said, grainy pic. So we thought, could we move the transmitter closer to the TV, but still have the camera back on the trailer license plate? Anyone tried this? Or is it pointless due to the poor quality of the product? (Bought this Christmas, just now getting time to mess with it, so don't know if it can be returned.)

TT

seabee

Not a good idea----wireless back up cam------to much distance it won't pick up a signal 38 ft away,I will be looking for a wired cam, I pull my 98 jeep behind and want to know if there is anything going on with it.

pegmikef

the one reply that contained the SWIFT HITCH was luke warm to not bad........anyone else out there tried one....???
Yeah, I've got one and I like it for what I use it for. With the RV, I really only use it for hooking up to guide my hitch ball to the exact location under the tongue on my North Trail. It is wireless and uses magnetic mounts and comes with a 12v charge cord and a video cord in case you want to hook the hand-held receiver to a larger monitor. It is advertised with a 300 foot range, but realistically, I get about a max of 60 - 70 feet out of it. I've used it on the trailer bumber for some tight spaces as well. I like the portability.

porthole

Retired
I have a Swift Hitch cam.
Used to use it on the tailgate to hitch up to my motorcycle trailer.
Also still use it when backing the Cyclone up the driveway. I will put it on the ground aimed at the fence so I can see when I am getting close.

New truck has a tailgate cam

Hitching up to the 5th wheel I use a small magnet on the end of a collapsible wand. Stick in front of the hitch saddle and can easily line up the pin and saddle.