Backup Cameras

davebennington

FATHERHEART3,

As Sundance_kid has said they are not that hard to install I installed one on our unit, That said would I do it myself again NO way I would pay someone to do it. I think the hardest part was trying to get past the hitch mount and finally to the hitch it self so you can plug in to th tv.

Dave

sharmulst

We use the Swift Hitch wireless camera. We monitor a single rail motorcycle trailer that we pull behind the 5th wheel. It has a magnetic base so can be mounted either temporarily or permanently. DH wired it so that it is powered by 5er exterior lights. It does have an integral battery that will last for 4 hours. We have it mounted on the license plate bracket. For back up camera, IMHO, it would be ideal. In our case of cruising at highway speeds the picture sometimes fades in and out but we can always tell that the mc is still there.

RonnieD

Wireless

Has anyone had any luck with a wireless backup camera. I just installed one behind a 31 ft 5th wheel but can't seem to get a strong enough signal to the monitor....any suggestions?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Has anyone had any luck with a wireless backup camera. I just installed one behind a 31 ft 5th wheel but can't seem to get a strong enough signal to the monitor....any suggestions?

If you look around you can find external/longer antennas for the receiver that may fit your bill.

I'm looking for a multi-camera set up so that I can monitor all 4 sides of my RV from the inside.

That way, if someone is messing around, I can put one of the pitbulls on it.

If it's Smokey, JohnMorgan, or TXBobCat...I'll put both pitbulls on 'em.:D

Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.:eek:

SmokeyBare

Not going to be a Problem Lefty... Those Texas Size Steak Bones I toss those "Luv-Puppies" will keep them plenty busy...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Dennis Z, I purchased min from Interceptic on Ebay and was a great guy. I had a problem with my monitor out of warranty and when I returned it he sent a new one. No charge. No charge for shipping either. I would recomend Interceptic on Ebay. I like my back up cam a lot.
Peace
Dave

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Ok guys,
so which one is the best camera and monitor and serves us best and u recommend?
I feel wierd that I can't see behind me, when I am driving. Would feel much safer with a rear camera. I am ready to buy. Maybe I can get Bob or Dennis to mount it for me at the socal rally. These guys are fast and get it right the first time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Larry, I don't know which is the best camera and monitor but I am happy with THIS ONE. I installed the camera one afternoon and the monitor the next afternoon. I just used a wire to snake from light hole to light hole. Then ran the wire under the coach after I droped one side of the belly plastic. I took my time. And you are right about feeling weird about not seeing behind you. Wait till you have one and then turn it off. Here are some pics of my install.
Peace
Dave

Attachments

• DSC03302.JPG
    DSC03302.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC03303.JPG
    DSC03303.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC03307.JPG
    DSC03307.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC03317.JPG
    DSC03317.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC03331.JPG
    DSC03331.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC03333.JPG
    DSC03333.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC04237.JPG
    DSC04237.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 261

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Larry, I don't know which is the best camera and monitor but I am happy with THIS ONE. I installed the camera one afternoon and the monitor the next afternoon. I just used a wire to snake from light hole to light hole. Then ran the wire under the coach after I droped one side of the belly plastic. I took my time. And you are right about feeling weird about not seeing behind you. Wait till you have one and then turn it off. Here are some pics of my install.
Peace
Dave

WOW! Audio too?

Now, you can hear the guy cuss you out while flipping you off!!;)

I gotta get one...right after I get that 40mm chain gun and control helmet!:eek:

caissiel

I have installed 2 cams, one on the back off the truck low enough that I can see the trailer 4 tires, and one by the rear park light on the street side so I can see the whole highway behind me. I ran Coax tv antenna cables from the Multi purpose Radio to a switch that I can control the cam I want to observe, The wife mostly checks the tires on demand and I can flip to see the traffic as my rear mirror The cam has to be set to see the mirror view so the traffic looks the same as in your mirrors. I tried to backup with it, its only good to check the obstacle though its a night cam and is much useful in the dark. I have a wireless license cam its in a box somewhere. I don't work. My cam switch is a toggle switch that I select when I want a cam to show on my LCD TV screen, The radio operates with the cam on so it can be one as a mirror.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Is anyone using a GPS unit as the monitor for a backup camera? I would like to do this so I can put the GPS unit to better use and save some space in the truck. Some units have video-in capability but I have not selected one yet. Any recommendations?