Bathroom Sink Leak

We have a persistent leak under the bathroom sink in our 2010 3410RE and have been told we have to wait for warranty service until we get someplace where we are going to sit for a month, as it will take that long for diagnosis, the claim to be processed, and parts to arrive and eventually be replaced. The leak comes from the connection at the bottom of the porcelain sink. We have tried snugging it up and it leaks worse. Any suggestions?

wdk450

Sink fix

I had a similar problem with my kitchen sink drain (most everybody seems to), probably due to the rigid piping and the shaking of the trailer on the road.
I solved my problem by unscrewing the drain flange, sealing it to the sink with elastometric adhesive (i.e. RVers Goop), and re-assembling it.

SmokeyBare

Take it apart.... apply plumbers putty... check for any cracks in the hole of the sink before installing once again... this time with plumbers putty under the rim of the sink drain...

jimtoo

Hi Bighorn Traveler 1,

First, welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with all kinds of good information.

Seems a little strange that it would take that long to diagnose the problem and repair it. You say it is coming from bottom of sink, do you mean the drain? If so, it is a very easy job to take the drain out of sink. There have been times when the rubber or fiber gasket has been placed in the upper part of the sink, right under drain that you see from above. If this is the case it is wrong, you need a little plumbers putty around the sink drain, drop it through the sink and put gasket under the sink, between nut and sink. It does not need to be 24" pipe wrench tight, just good and snug. Then rehook to the "P" trap. Make sure the nuts on the drain have the beveled gasket or seal with each of the nuts also. Hope this helps. :)

It's not really hard unless your like a very close friend of mine who we don't even allow to have masking tape or screwdriver.:D

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Take a look at the rubber gasket under the drain flange INSIDE the sink. Mine was installed so cockeyed that only about half of it was actually sealed, the other half open to the world and it dripped down the pipe onto the cabinet shelf. Loosen the nut under the sink, reseat the gasket under the flange, and retighten.

C

Carolinthomas

Hello guys!

My husband installed a new drain for our bathroom sink. The part where the drain connects to the p-trap has a leak. It didn't leak until the drain was replaced. My husband fixed it with caulk, but I am not sure if this is more of a temporary solution or not. I am worried about sewer gas and water damage.Can any one give me a suggestion..

SmokeyBare

Hmmmm what to do about a Husband that breaks the plumbing... Not sure I qualify to help with that... :D

On the other problem... these are simple pieces & parts. If it's part of the P-Trap which is where the leak is... head to Home Depot or Lowe's or your favorite Hardware store and purchase a new P-Trap. in fact there is a slight chance that he has simply cross threaded the part together... maybe disassemble it and try attaching it once again... see what happens. If that didn't help...

If its a Glued on piece of the plumbing... your going to need to decide if you can live with it or get it replaced. Living with it could be as simple as using " Rescue Tape" which is often sold at RV shows. Ken & Kathy ( forum name "KaKampers" ) are vendors for this very good product. Follow the instructions for the product and problem solved. Perhaps your DH solution will do fine... but then your here questioning his repair....

If you want the leaking pipe fitting replaced...look to see if there is enough pipe behind the pipe fitting that is leaking... that size of pipe needs 3/4 inch of pipe to slip inside the Hub part of the new fitting. Cut the old fitting off with a saw will do if there is only a short length of pipe left to work with... otherwise you might use a plastic pipe cutter. Make sure the cut is pretty square... clean the pipe before using "ABS" glue applied to both the cut pipe and the bell of the new fitting. REMEMBER when you put the new fitting in place it must be at the correct angle... the correct level, meaning plumb to the P-trap fitting that it must Mate too... if it's off by very much your going to have difficulty connecting the two thread parts together.

It's not as difficult as it sounds... just takes a little patience to get the job done.

Good Luck...

2010augusta

Our bath room sink leaks if it is overfilled, because the rubber gasket is overtightened and cracked. it has about a 1/2" gap in it now. no leak unless water goes in to the overfill hole. it will be an easy fix.