Battery Disconnect and Reconnect

EurekaJ

I am a newbie and just want to make sure of something. I am hooked to the camp ground power and I am closing down for the winter. I need to disconnect my battery to take it with me. I don't want to cause any damages. Do I disconnect the shore line then remove the battery? Just want to make sure I am doing it right. Also for reconnecting any procedure I need to follow?

Andy

dougw

Disconnect the shore line, turn off the main battery switch then remove the battery(s). You defiantly want to make sure that the main battery switch is off before you remove the battery(s). If not and you have the shore line still plugged in, then there will be 12v-14v from battery charger trying to charge the removed battery(s) and if the (+) side accidentally touches ground it won't be good.

Do you plan on leaving the trailer plugged in and running on A/C all winter?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Disconnect the shore power, then the battery. With shore power still applied to the rig, the converter will still be supplying 12V to it as well as trying to charge the battery.

marvmarcy

You can just unplug the converter from the 120VAC in your trailer, then remove the battery. In the spring just reverse the procedure - install battery then plug in converter. Of course you won't have 12VDC power in the trailer with the converter unplugged and the battery removed, so anything requiring 12VDC (frig, furnace, lights, etc) won't work.

priorguy

In the alarm industry we've always disconnected the battery first. Fire, security, emergency lighting, etc. Ensure all the connections are protected until the shore power is removed. This prevents a possible arc when the battery is removed while loaded. The electronic equipment can be damaged, and larger batteries can cause a decent arc at the terminal if loaded.

GOTTOYS

The convertor is similar to a battery charger. Unplug the shore power first to shut off the convertor then remove the battery. In the Spring connect the battery first then plug in the convertor...Don

danemayer

Rather than unplugging the power converter, you could turn off the circuit breaker while disconnecting the battery.

If you're leaving the trailer plugged into shore power, I assume it's to keep things powered. You'll want the power converter running to supply power to lights, refrigerator, furnace, etc.

EurekaJ

Thanks for the help. To be on the safe side I will shut off the breakers, disconnect the shore line then disconnect the battery. I am leaving the shore line disconnected for the winter. I will reverse in the spring. Going to be sad day Monday when shutting down, 24 weekends this year went too fast. Hope to be back in in early April!!!

Andy