BC3500RL Versus BH3600RL

Hunter11

Okay guys I have a couple of more questions on our search for a new trailer. The two trailers in the title are the two floor plans we have narrowed down that we really like from Heartland. I have priced both units on RV Capital Wholesalers and with the same options the BH is right at $3100 more. After researching the Heartland web site I am not really seeing any difference as far as how they are built (frame, axles, insulation, etc.) so what is the difference that makes the BH $3100 more? We have no issue paying that much more for the BH if there are things that make it that much better.

We will be buying a new trailer to pretty much full time in. We are looking to retire in about 2 years but we may go ahead and sell our home and live in the RV until we do retire. We do currently own a mid level 5th wheel but it lacks the dual pane windows and a few other things we want for a full time unit. Thanks for any information.

jbeletti

Both awesome choices.

A couple of quick differences:
1. Hydraulic front landing gear
2. Beauflor lino
3. Recessed halogen lighting
4. Rubber diamond plate and tied downs in storage floor
5. Hydraulic slide selector valves
6. Molded rear cap standard
7. Aluminum slam latch baggage doors with gas struts

Again - both good choices - neither one a bad unit. Just some differences that may or may not matter you.

My advice - buy Heartland! If the BC fits your needs perfectly - it's the one. If you want a bit more stuff, consider BH.

You may want to call Heartland to speak to the brand managers directly. Speak to Bryan Walczak for BC and Kevin Finn for BH.

Best of luck choosing :)

Jim

Hunter11

We were able to go today and look at the BC 3450TS, BC 3500RL and the BH 3600RL all at the same dealer. After a lot of in and out of trailers we pretty much both agreed that the BC 3450TS would be our floor plan of choice between the three. I have ask the dealer to find out the information below and get back to me so we can make a decision about getting our trailer up for sale.

1) Cost to installing a AC/Heat Pump unit in the living area
2) Cost to delete the two rocker recliners
3) Ask if we can add two extra 110 plugs (one living room one bedroom)
4) Make sure we can get the slam baggage doors (3 out of the 8 units they had on the lot had them the others were regular doors)
5) See if we can delete the curtains in the unit

Hunter11

caissiel, I see you have a queen bed in your unit, is that something you did or the factory? We would prefer a queen bed to give the bedroom a bit more space and that is what we have had for years in our house. The only thing we were kind of disappointed in was no under bed storage.

caissiel

That was one of the first thing we did, after 7 days sleeping in the trailer I got a sore back that I could hardly walk. We needed a bed so we purchased an individual coil queen like we had in the previous trailer and home.
The queen is 60" and 12" narrower but same length. I took one night and trimmed the bed by 12". I was able to also change the storage frame to allow more storage by dropping the frames on both side of the cylinder. I also lifted the front of the bed to help with my hiatus hernia problem.
The queen option is now available in the 2011 models.

Hunter11

Thanks for the info. The ones we looked at today had no storage under the beds which is disappointing since we would be full timing in it someday and we would like all the storage we can get. The unit we have now has a queen bed and storage under the bed.

caissiel

We had 2" under the bed, I Changed the framing that was under the sheet of merante, and dropped new frame members on both sides of the cylinder. I was going to build a box around the cylinder but I just stopped short of that. Might do that in the future. Now we have all our bedding, work clothes, sets of towels and face clothes, and more. I understand that there is lots we can do to our units to make it our own. I the last few months I found that HL has been watching because they have made the 2011 much more attractable then my 2009. The Hydraulic valves, the swing of the W/D closet door, and the optional 60" bed.

caissiel

Storage is an other subject that we do like about these HL trailers. We are able to have our Kayaking equipment, biking equipment, work clothes and tools for Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. Last summer I had all my carpentry tools in the front storage, that was including a table saw, 2 off 10" miter saws, a 12" planner, belt sander and other portable tools. Had 2 step ladders under the trailer and an 8' sit on kayak.
And everything we had stored in the inside of the other trailer is in the storage area in Rubbermaid buckets. We bought buckets like the brochure and they fit just right in the storage, we have a large one on the bottom, and 2 more 1/2 size on top, they fit like it was made for it, and slides so easily on the carpets. we even had our granddaughter wheel chair standing up in it.
Now we had to start new with the inside our cabinets are mostly empty.

Hunter11

I also noticed yesterday that the tires on the units we looked at (all on 7k axles) appeared to be some off brand G rated tire. I want to say the brand started with an O but just can't remember. This would be another concern for me as the trailer we have now came with Mission E rated tires and they did not last 5k miles before two started to seperate. So we had a new trailer that we had to have $800 worth of new tires put on it. Anyone know what brand tires the Big Country with 7k axles comes with? I know it was not Goodyear.

caissiel

Mine are FREESTARS. My Tires have over 5000 miles on them and look like new no wear at all. They are also regroovable. it makes me think they are solid. Previous years had bad Chinese tires all over. My friend has a 2007 and so far no problem with with his class E's. I checked the prices and they are not that much more. The cast dimples are still showing on the outside ribs, and thats after hitting the pavement for all this time. I keep 110Lbs in these and nothing moves in the unit. We only anchor the TV, Leave the table unscrewed and stuff on the cupboard and desk including a large printer.

2010augusta

4) Make sure we can get the slam baggage doors (3 out of the 8 units they had on the lot had them the others were regular doors)

I do not believe that the slam doors are even a option on the Big Countrys. They are standard on the LM/BH, so the 3 that had them were probably all Big Horns and the 5 that did not were the Big Countrys.

Hunter11

No they were Big Country models. The salesman called me this morning and he said the factory rep said the 2011 Big Country (built after 1/1/2010} models will have the slam baggage doors. Now I am only going on what I was told.

SilverRhino

Love our BC

We are extremely happy with our BC.

In Jim B.'s list of differences there are however two things that I do wish we had.

1) Hydraulic front jacks

2) Slide isolator

I think both of these are great options....but they are options, not, necessities that we can't live happily without.

Just my observations.

Good Luck on your purchase!

Hunter11

I am glad you brought up the slide isolators for each slide. That was one of the things I wanted to see if they could add if we order the unit and what the cost would be from the factory.

caissiel

I forgot the slide isolators that are standard on the 2011.
I solved that by installing isolators on my unit, and use it a lot .
They have listened and put them back again on the BC.

Hunter11

I guess I will have to ask about them. I did not see isolators on the BC models we looked at yesterday and they were all 2011 models. I also did not see where it was an option but maybe I missed it.

caissiel

it never was an option on the 2009, in fact there is 2 hoses missing to install them. I used 4 valves and one 20ft and one 24ft 3500psi hoses. It cost me $283.00, and about 3 hrs of my time to install. I was told that it would void my warranty, but at the time they were more important to me

My Valve Post

bill40

Hunter, We have the Freestars on ours, have over 12000 miles on them. We just finished a cross country trip when the temps in some on the states was up in the 120's. Check your psi and keep it at 110 and try not to overload too much.
We are happy with our 3500rl and have had it in some pretty cold and hot spots and we were confortable at all times. Good Luck

Hunter11

Thanks guys. We are going to go back Saturday and do some measuring for a stacked W/D (we can get a very lightly used one from my wifes mother) so while we are there I will check and see what tires are on the new BC. I am pretty sure they were not Freestars but I have been wrong before.