Be careful out there!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I delivered trailers about 15 years ago, and since then a few things have changed. I used a 3/4 ton GMC truck with the 7.4L gas motor. Not my choice any more, but it was what I had at the time... I found that there was little money to be made and I still believe that. Let's do the math with some arbitrary numbers:

With whatever truck you have and making $1.00 per mile and fuel costs $4.00 per gallon
1000 mile trip= $1,000
2 days drive-500 miles per day
10 mpg towing=100 gallons=$400
15 mpg deadhead=66.6 gallons=266.66
net gross earnings=$333.34

food @ 10.00 per meal (3 meals per day, 4 day total trip)=$120.00
1 night stay in motel @ $50.00
You slept in your truck the other nights
Keep in mind that you are a commercial truck driver and must keep logs, make the required number of rest stops etc.

Net income for 4 day trip=$163.34
You must pay income tax-you are a private contractor (20% income tax)=$200.00
Net income after taxes=$36.66

Working as a Wal Mart greeter (40 hours @ $8.00 per hour)=$320.00
No overtime pay for either job, if overtime is added=$352.00

Not taken into consideration-insurance on your truck
Wear and tear on your truck
You must service your truck on average once a month
Tires
Remember, this is you alone. If you take your husband or wife, meals and lodging costs rise
I know that there are many other incidental expenses, but you get the point.

In respect to the accident pictured, we were instructed to call in if involved in any accident. Police would have been called to investigate and make an accident report if anything else was damaged. The transport company insured the trailer with a $1000 deductible. They deducted 10% of driver's gross pay for deductible insurance which was refunded upon termination. The receiving dealer ALWAYS made a detailed inspection for damage including road hazard damage. We were required to wash the trailer before delivery and given a stipend of $10.00 for cleanup. A few dealers would allow us to wash the coach in their wash bay. More money for me!!! I only lost $26.66 on this trip!

I only lasted about 3 months delivering RV's and never worked in freezing weather. I did spend some miserable nights in 30-40 degree temps in my sleeping bag in the back seat.

Sorry for the long post.

Westwind

Guess that's the reason they have had trouble recruiting drivers the past 12 months, a while ago I saw numerous articles talking about the shortage and delay of transporting towables from the factories.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had a fellow eyeballing my truck at a Home Depot and he suggested I should get into hauling (not sure what). Nope, don't need the money or the hassle.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jay,
At one time I thought transporting RV's would be a cool job.
I remember you telling me about your experiences doing the job some years back and I immediately dismissed any notion of ever doing it right then and there.

BTW, here in California, if someone is "eyeballing your truck" in a Home Depot parking lot, it's probably right before they try to drive it out of the parking lot. Trace

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Possibly that's an explanation for some other peoples experiences and issues with HL. Once it's out the factory bay door they gave no control over what happens to it, and probably no report either.

I know this is an old thread, but it brought back a memory. A transporter burned out the brakes on my factory ordered Bighorn.

When I attempted to drive off the dealer lot.....................hello, no brakes whatsoever!
Some brake pads worn completely through, bearing grease all over the drums, the whole enchilada. Dexter tech was on the scene shortly after a call from HL and replaced most everything in one shot.

I wonder if the transporter ever even heard about it? Trace

jayc

Actually I liked the job. No hassles, no deadlines. You pick the rig you want to deliver and the destination. On your way back, you're on your own, so if you want to sight-see along the way, have at it. If I could figure out a way to make some money at it, could be a good deal.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Jay,
At one time I thought transporting RV's would be a cool job.
I remember you telling me about your experiences doing the job some years back and I immediately dismissed any notion of ever doing it right then and there.

BTW, here in California, if someone is "eyeballing your truck" in a Home Depot parking lot, it's probably right before they try to drive it out of the parking lot. Trace

His hand never would have made it to the door handle.

Birchwood

Wonder if commercial RV transporters have to weigh in at scales.I think this is just around the corner for all rVers
as its to often you see undersized trucks hauling huge trailers.Today in our park an older 2500 Dodge truck arrived hauling a
tri axle Torry Pine fifth wheel that is in the 40 ft range.

jayc

We were told to be prepared to stop at any weigh station since we were a commercial vehicle. I was waved through a couple of station, apparently mistaken for a regular RV'er and never did actually have to be weighed. I doubt that we, as private RV'ers, will have to stop any time soon. The weigh stations are full of commercial trucks and to further clog up the lanes with us would cause a huge overload.

In 34 years of law enforcement I never saw an accident where the weight of a vehicle was a contributing factor. I investigated everything from parking lot "fender benders" to 18 wheeler fatalities and even a few RV accidents.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
In my previous life (or should I say younger days?) I was a newspaper photographer.

Here is a good one I took back in 1979:

DriveSafely.jpg

The driver died in this crash (still in the car when this shot was taken).