Bedroom slide comes out on its own while stored

360gal

Each time I go to storage to pick up rv, bedroom slide is out 8-10". I've called my service dept, and they stated it could be hydraulic jack fluid. Sometimes debris and water can get in and cause this. He said for me to drain it and put in new fluid, which he said I could do, OR for 250 they could do it.

1. Could I do this (and how do I do this)
2. Should I pay the 250 and do it myself?

as a single gal, I've managed to learn and do several things on my own with my 2011 landmark Rushmore. with that said, is this too much of an undertaking for a chick?

thank you in advance for any thoughts on this

diana (360gal)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that your service guy is wrong.
I see no way that debris or water could enter a sealed system.
But this is only my opinion.
Many here on the forum leave their rigs sitting on the hydraulic jacks and I have never heard of anything moving.
It sounds to be more like a leaky hydraulic cylinder in the slide mechanism.
I have had that happen.
There is a procedure for checking the cylinder.
Attached is a PDF for that procedure.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• 0076-hydraulic-cylinder-test.pdf
    610.1 KB · Views: 45

ncc1701e

Each time I go to storage to pick up rv, bedroom slide is out 8-10". I've called my service dept, and they stated it could be hydraulic jack fluid. Sometimes debris and water can get in and cause this. He said for me to drain it and put in new fluid, which he said I could do, OR for 250 they could do it.1. Could I do this (and how do I do this)2. Should I pay the 250 and do it myself?as a single gal, I've managed to learn and do several things on my own with my 2011 landmark Rushmore. with that said, is this too much of an undertaking for a chick?thank you in advance for any thoughts on this diana (360gal)
Dave is most likely correct. It is not the fluid. I worked heavy industrial maintenance for many years and we use to see this problem fairly regular. When the internal seals on a cylinder begin to deteriorate the cylinder extends when at rest. The only real question to ask is the cost of replacement versus the worry. It will never get better and can get much worse or may never do anything except what it is now. Now with regards to the fluid, if the fluid is too low a viscosity and the cylinder is a little cheaply made you will see the same problem. Changing the fluid might buy a little time, but in the end more than likely the cylinder will have to be replaced.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you have to change out the cylinder you can get it from Lippert. Call them for the best advise. They are not hard to change but if you are not compentent in doing so then get the part and call a mobile RV Repair dude for the labor and parts replacement.