Best route from Durango to Colorado Springs

Georgia_Biker

In June after riding the train etc. we will be heading up to Colorado Springs from Durango. MapQuest and some others show two different routes - one takes Hwy 160 over the mountains to Alpine to Alamosa and over to I-25. The other route takes Hwy 285 on a southerly direction to Alamosa and then to I-25.

My question which is the easiest route? I am pulling a 41' Big Horn with a Dodge Dually but, I need to get to Colorado Springs quickly.

Has anyone ever been these routes?

Thanks for any help.

SNOKING

If you do not mind Wolf Creek Pass 160 that is the quickest. You get a t-shirt and hat for taking that route! Almost 11,000'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Creek_Pass

The climb going Eastbound is steep and more windy than going down the other side. 6.8 % on both sides. If you have a new RAM with an exhaust brake, it should not be an issue. Many have manually select 3rd gear going down. 314 miles city center to city center. Chris

SNOKING

The 160 to 84 to 64 (takes you up to 10,500') to 285 to 160 to 25 is 394 miles.

We pulled off the road in 2007 near the top of 64. Started up the hill again and could not get the turbo to spool up on old 2001.5 RAM. So we blacken out to top of the mountain for a 100 yards. Came around the last bend at the top to a sign that said 10,500'!!!

Just go for the t-shirt and hat Wolf Creek route. Then post a trip report. I rattled down it going Westbound in 2007 on a Bank exhaust brake on our 2001.5 RAM at 20,500 combined weight. I would take that route with our current setup at 24,500 without worrying about. DW gets all tense on mountain sides. Chris

danemayer

Larry,

We live in Pagosa Springs and have been over Wolf Creek Pass quite a few times. Having a good exhaust brake is very helpful. Maintaining low speed is very important when descending. The eastbound trip is easier than the westbound.

As for route choices, from Durango, it's a straight shot east on 160 to I-25 and then north to Colorado Springs.

The alternate is east on 160 to 112 in Del Norte just before getting to Alamosa, then north on 285, and then east on 50 to Colorado Springs.

I don't know what you meant by southerly route on 285 to Alamosa.

Anyway, I've towed our 39' Rushmore both routes and I'd suggest taking 160 all the way to I-25. Route 50 has a section of narrow, twisty turns that you won't enjoy.

On edit: There's construction on 160 east of Pagosa Springs: expect some delays.

Lou_and_Bette

If you do not mind Wolf Creek Pass 160 that is the quickest. You get a t-shirt and hat for taking that route! Almost 11,000'.

Did the reverse of the OP’s trip in 2016 going from West Pueblo to Cortez. How do I get the hat and T-shirt?

Georgia_Biker

The 160 to 84 to 64 (takes you up to 10,500') to 285 to 160 to 25 is 394 miles.

We pulled off the road in 2007 near the top of 64. Started up the hill again and could not get the turbo to spool up on old 2001.5 RAM. So we blacken out to top of the mountain for a 100 yards. Came around the last bend at the top to a sign that said 10,500'!!!

Just go for the t-shirt and hat Wolf Creek route. Then post a trip report. I rattled down it going Westbound in 2007 on a Bank exhaust brake on our 2001.5 RAM at 20,500 combined weight. I would take that route with our current setup at 24,500 without worrying about. DW gets all tense on mountain sides. Chris

Dan - after reading you and Snoking's comments I guess I'll give the pass a try! We are camping in Riverside RV at Bayfield and it's turn north out of the campground right on 160.

We have to be in Grand Rapids, SD in 3 days to meet my grandson that just graduated from High School so I am bringing him out to spend a week with us.

We are currently in Las Cruces (La Hacienda RV) - 101 degrees today! Our route to Durango is Tombstone - Flagstaff - Monument Valley - Moab and Durango.

As always thanks for the comments-

NHCelt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Creek_Pass

The climb going Eastbound is steep and more windy than going down the other side. 6.8 % on both sides. If you have a new RAM with an exhaust brake, it should not be an issue. Many have manually select 3rd gear going down. 314 miles city center to city center. Chris

Second this suggestion. We towed Wolf Creek Pass with our Bighorn and Ford 6.7 diesel. Frankly, it was a bit anticlimactic after all of the stories, which I suspect come from the days before engine brakes. I wouldn't even think twice about it. Now if you wanted to tow over the million dollar highway...thats a whole nother story!

TedS

I live in Bayfield. Take 160 to I-25. It is an easy drive. Start your downhill slow. Any other route is too round about although I take 285 instead of I-25.

dave10a

I travel 160 to visit my daughter in Durango. BTY my trusty F350 has no problem with going down and up the grades while keeping at a safe speed.

Georgia_Biker

I live in Bayfield. Take 160 to I-25. It is an easy drive. Start your downhill slow. Any other route is too round about although I take 285 instead of I-25.

Thanks to Ted and Dave for the comments.

I recently purchased a Dodge Ram 3500 Dually to pull my 41' Big Horn. I can't wait to test it over that hill. I had disc brakes and independent suspension installed at Mor Ryde during the Heartland Rally last June. The brakes were well worth the purchase but, I am still trying to figure out the advantage for the IS because it still bounces pretty good.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Larry, we just pulled over Wolf Creek Pass from Durango to Colorado Springs yesterday. We had no problems whatsoever. We didn't even have any construction delays.

Georgia_Biker

The 416 Fire killed the trip

We had to cancel our trip to Durango!

This was a Heartbreaker! I had this train ride on my bucket list all my life. You can't help what Mother Nature does - the 416 Fires wiped everything out and also my planned trip over the Wolf Creek Pass.

We are on a 4 month trip starting from near Atlanta, GA. We had to rearrange some things to by pass Colorado but, was able to do it and we are making our way to Rapid City, SD

Thanks for all the encouragement to attack the "PASS". Maybe another time-

Mrsfish

Re: The 416 Fire killed the trip

This was a Heartbreaker! I had this train ride on my bucket list all my life. You can't help what Mother Nature does - the 416 Fires wiped everything out and also my planned trip over the Wolf Creek Pass.

We are on a 4 month trip starting from near Atlanta, GA. We had to rearrange some things to by pass Colorado but, was able to do it and we are making our way to Rapid City, SD

do what we did when the 416 fire changed our plans last week. Go up the middle of Colorado and end up in Breckinridge. Only place to stay is Tiger Run and it’s not cheap but SOOOO worth it. Breck and Durango are both 2 of my favorite towns

BusManRG

Was that the Durango Silverton rail road trip you were talking about? It’s been on my bucket list too and in fact we had a trip planned for next summer. I hadn’t heard that it was completely wiped out. I had been hoping for the best. Gotta love Mother Nature!

Sandy

Mrsfish

Was that the Durango Silverton rail road trip you were talking about? It’s been on my bucket list too and in fact we had a trip planned for next summer. I hadn’t heard that it was completely wiped out. I had been hoping for the best. Gotta love Mother Nature!

Sandy

the fire was most probably caused by the train(according to eyewitness reports) so sad..service is suspended for now but when it resumes they will probably be required to use their Diesel engines instead of the coal fired ones. According to the local paper, the train starts 2-3 fires a week in the same area. It’s just that most are put out quickly by the people who live on the land next to the tracks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The fire did not wipe out the tracks. It just suspended service, and due to the dry conditions, they will not operate the train.

Another amazing train ride is the Cumbres and Toltec, between Chama NM and Antonito, CO

http://www.cumbrestoltec.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Georgia_Biker

Wild fires in Durango area Jun 2/9WOW

View attachment 58168View attachment 58169View attachment 58170Unbelievable!

- - - Updated - - -

The fire did not wipe out the tracks. It just suspended service, and due to the dry conditions, they will not operate the train.

Another amazing train ride is the Cumbres and Toltec, between Chama NM and Antonito, CO

http://www.cumbrestoltec.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank's I am aware of that one maybe on another trip.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

Georgia_Biker

do what we did when the 416 fire changed our plans last week. Go up the middle of Colorado and end up in Breckinridge. Only place to stay is Tiger Run and it’s not cheap but SOOOO worth it. Breck and Durango are both 2 of my favorite towns
The challange is to find a place to stay 4th of July. Camping has gotten so popular as you travel you better have a reserved spot on Holidays unless you are into Boondocking. Many require 2-3 day minimum. We were originally staying in Durango for the 4th and when we had to cancel it was a struggle - we will be at the Colorado City KOA for the 4th.

- - - Updated - - -

the fire was most probably caused by the train(according to eyewitness reports) so sad..service is suspended for now but when it resumes they will probably be required to use their Diesel engines instead of the coal fired ones. According to the local paper, the train starts 2-3 fires a week in the same area. It’s just that most are put out quickly by the people who live on the land next to the tracks

If they do away with Steam Power the railroad will go out of business - people travel from all over the world to see and ride those trains - we came all the way from Georgia but, was dissapointed.