Best towing vehicle

Gulf Coast Girl,

My goal is to bring it down to Florida (I visited several great beach locations last year) and of course head out west, at some point. But just using it relatively locally would be a good start! I'm still scared to do this but feel the fear and do it anyway!! Haha. :). Good luck searching for your your new truck!

Personally I'd rather have my teeth drilled than buy anything from any of my ex's but that's just me... LOL! When you head to FL, let me know if you are planning anywhere around these parts (I'm in the panhandle on the Gulf Coast). My sister and I try to do one or two weekend trips each month.

Dreamer7

Gulf Coast Girl, that's cool! My mom has a place in Appalachicola! I was checking out St George Island and other places this year. Would love to know where you like camping down there. Yeah, I'm already not sure about his truck...lol. I want freedom not to be stuck here in Ohio, boring!! :). This is tough. I do have a fairly new Odyssey that I could probably trade for a newer truck if needed...

This forum is great! I should have joined here a long time ago. I would be leagues ahead of where I am now! But it would be great to meet up on the coast of Florida over my winter break or Spring break. Even if I don't take my camper that far, yet. I still have tents. Haha.

Gulf Coast Girl, that's cool! My mom has a place in Appalachicola! I was checking out St George Island and other places this year. Would love to know where you like camping down there. Yeah, I'm already not sure about his truck...lol. I want freedom not to be stuck here in Ohio, boring!! :). This is tough. I do have a fairly new Odyssey that I could probably trade for a newer truck if needed...

This forum is great! I should have joined here a long time ago. I would be leagues ahead of where I am now! But it would be great to meet up on the coast of Florida over my winter break or Spring break. Even if I don't take my camper that far, yet. I still have tents. Haha.

St. George island is on my list as it's about 3 hours from my house and supposedly the most friendly place for dogs on the beach (they aren't allowed on the beach up where I am). As soon as I get my new TV that is the first place I'm going to go check out and if it's as dog friendly as everyone on the internet says it is then it's going to be my go to place. Right now we are camping at Grayton Beach and St. Andrews as they are both State Parks within an hour from home.

Yes this forum is wonderful, lots of good advice. I just joined the Owner's Club and am now checking out rallies that I want to attend as soon as I get that new truck!

Dreamer7

My dogs have been on St George Island!! :). It's awesome and there's a super fun bar there where we've spent New Years Eve with live music. My mom is always bragging St George Island has the most pristine ecosystem in the US! I haven't been there during typical seasonal times, so it hasn't been the warmest but that can be nice too. I lived in Ft Myers for 5 years and don't miss that heat, but definitely miss the gorgeous skies of Florida! I even had a bear cross the road on the way to the Island. It was a smaller cub. You are lucky to live in Florida, so many choices for camping!!

Crumgater

We started out with a marginal truck... for our 5er, that was a '95 gas F250. While the truck was in the shop getting a new transmission (the trailer just finished a job that had started many miles earlier)... we rented a diesel Dodge 3500. BEAUTIFUL truck, pulled like a dream. We went shopping... ended up with an '08 diesel F350 (Dave's a Ford man, and the Dodges were harder to find and more expensive). We're very happy with the F350.

So... if you can find a truck to rent, that's a good way to test some out. We have an industrial truck rental company nearby that had a few pickups with 5th wheel hitches included. A bumper pull setup should be easier to find.

Or, the transport option would be cost effective if this is a one-time thing.

But it sounds like you might enjoy traveling, so I'd suggest you get a vehicle with extra tow-capacity, good brakes and one that you find comfortable to drive.

Dreamer7

Thanks a lot! I would love to rent a truck, so maybe I'll research that further, but I thought they mostly just rented those to businesses. I've heard great things about diesels, so many factors to consider. Meanwhile, friends are saying just park it somewhere but that is so boring! I don't want to sit and look at the same sights (unless it's an always changing sunset) night after night.

I appreciate your ideas, I have some things to sort out. Glad you found a great truck to serve your needs. :). Hello to your pooch too! :)

Happy trails,
Katy

danemayer

Hi Ohio Heartlanders. Dreamer7 and her North Trail are located in Delaware, OH.

Are there any nearby Heartlanders who might volunteer to hook her bumper pull North Trail to your truck and let her get a little towing experience? Maybe in a large parking lot and around some less traveled road in the area.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Hi Ohio Heartlanders. Dreamer7 and her North Trail are located in Delaware, OH.

Are there any nearby Heartlanders who might volunteer to hook her bumper pull North Trail to your truck and let her get a little towing experience? Maybe in a large parking lot and around some less traveled road in the area.

I've sent a PM to all of our Ohio Heartland owners to see if anyone can help Dreamer7.

Dreamer7

Thanks again. I'm going to contact some CDL schools in the area and see if I can get some lessons. Appreciate your thinking of me. Happy Trails! :)

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Hey Jim.Allison !! Hope you have better luck than us, with your new Dodge Ram .. I ordered a late year 2016 GMC 3500 Dually. Eight weeks ago today, they told me 8 weeks, now they're saying Mid-August !!!

Jim.Allison

Got a call yesterday from my RAM dealer salesman, he is very excited and said my 2017 is in. He says it is beautiful, I think he is more excited than I am. I'm going to pick it up today. Finally I have 4300 + lbs payload capacity, and towing well within the specs of the truck, finally there are no mods required to tow. I sprang for the AISIN transmission so I have the 900 ft lbs of torque and corresponding HP, and I don't have to hear from all the GM and Ford drivers about their industrial transmissions, I got it all in all in a tidy SRW package. What else do I need. BTW RAM gave me $500 bucks toward a lifetime oil change package (after I made my deal) but I told them that I do my own oil changes, so they gave the OEM hitch adaptor. Film at eleven......

Hey Jim.Allison !! Hope you have better luck than us, with your new Dodge Ram .. I ordered a late year 2016 GMC 3500 Dually. Eight weeks ago today, they told me 8 weeks, now they're saying Mid-August !!!

Bones

Got a call yesterday from my RAM dealer salesman, he is very excited and said my 2017 is in. He says it is beautiful, I think he is more excited than I am. I'm going to pick it up today. Finally I have 4300 + lbs payload capacity, and towing well within the specs of the truck, finally there are no mods required to tow. I sprang for the AISIN transmission so I have the 900 ft lbs of torque and corresponding HP, and I don't have to hear from all the GM and Ford drivers about their industrial transmissions, I got it all in all in a tidy SRW package. What else do I need. BTW RAM gave me $500 bucks toward a lifetime oil change package (after I made my deal) but I told them that I do my own oil changes, so they gave the OEM hitch adaptor. Film at eleven......

Congrats on your new truck

Carleen

Congrats! That is so exciting!

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

Jim.Allison

Ok I picked her up and she is pretty. I spent the whole afternoon closing on it, so I was too tired to take photos. But I will try to post some tomorrow, if you guys will indulge me in my presupposition that you would like to see the pics.

- - - Updated - - -

now they're saying Mid-August !!!

Just hang on, it will smell pretty when you get it, and it will shine like new money. You will forget about the delay. Get your check book out because it will be any day now. Be sure you post some pics when you get it.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
You're going to love it. What a pleasure to drive. No more worrying about weights and payloads. Quiet ride and tremendous power. Just turned 1900 miles and every single mile has been a pleasure.

Sarge

Congrats on the RAM - You'll enjoy it....

Sarge