BH 3685RL Owners tire question

gslabbert5119

This question is for BH 3685RL owners (or anyone that knows the specific answer to this question.

I intend to fit Sailun 235/85/16 LT tires on my 5er, which currently has blowmax 235/80/16 tires on it.

The Sailuns are a 85% profile and there is some question whether there will be clearance issue.

I have called Heartland and they gave me the form answer of talk to Tredit, and I will do that, however 1st hand experience is best, so if you know someone with the model that can relay the info to me I would surely appreciate it.

Many Thanks

danemayer

Search the internet for "Specs Sailun S637" and "Specs Towmax 235/85R16" and look for OD (outer diameter). I think you'll find they're about the same.

gslabbert5119

Bob, they did not tell me that, and they also did not tell me if they had to made any minor alterations to clearances to accomodate the new tires. Now my guess is that these tires will slot right in, but I would really prefer to be 100% sure prior to buying the tires.

Thanks again for all of your support :)

gslabbert5119

Ok, a call to Tredit Tire answered the question. They did a tire size comparison and the Sailun 235/85/16 is less than 1/4" smaller than the Towmax 235/80/16. Additionally the Sailun tire is the tire that Tredit recommend for my vehicle as long as my rims have 3750 stamped on the inside.

ericjaime

I recently put Sailun S637's on my 2011 Bighorn and they fit fine. They are bigger and you will lose about an inch between the tires. I replaced the 235/80/16 Blowmax with the 235/85/16 Sailuns. I don't know where Tredit Tire got their info as you state the Sailuns are 1/4" smaller. They are definitely bigger as my distance between the tires decreased, but the tire shop that installed my tires said I still had plenty of room. You should be fine with the Sailuns on your 2013.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bones, I said on Big Horns....not Gateways. As far as I know...Landmarks come with GY G614's, Big Horns and Big Country's come standard with Sailun's.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
No problem my friend. I hope that soon HL will put Sailun's on all their heavy 5ers.

BTW, when you moved the brake wiring to the outside of the axles, did you put any split tube on the wires? If not, you should, because the wires can chaff on the axles going down the road.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our new 2015 Heartland Prowler (which we picked up two weeks ago today) had BlowMax tires on it from the factory.

Two weeks prior to this, I had put 5 brand new tires and wheels (went to a larger size tire and wheel) on our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner, so I had the dealership swap the tires before we picked up the new trailer.

Also had them balanced as well.

Bones

No problem my friend. I hope that soon HL will put Sailun's on all their heavy 5ers.

BTW, when you moved the brake wiring to the outside of the axles, did you put any split tube on the wires? If not, you should, because the wires can chaff on the axles going down the road.

Yes I have the wires hidden in split tube and they are ziptied as well as taped to the axle to prevent them from moving. I also ran the line behind the axle from line of travel to help prevent damage. I just took a trip with about 22 hours of driving and had no issues with chiming or braking. Finally a trip without brake issues. Woo Hoo. Knock on wood... :cool: