Big Horn 3670 Rear springs falling apart

This is the 3rd time in 5yrs that our leaf springs fell apart and caused the Ubolts to come off. It is very hard to get someone out on the PA tpk to fix it. Good Sam could only recommend someone. Everyone tells us this should not be happening. Has anyone else had this problem. It has ruined 2 of our tires over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTPockets

I've not heard of this before, but do know that I check my U-bolt nut torque a few times per year. When new, all nuts were well under torque spec. After that, I always found from 2 - 5 nuts under torque. It was almost 3 yrs of this periodic checking that they now are all within spec. Can't say if that is your issue, but keeping those u-bolts properly torque'd is important. I had similar torque results with my MorRyde pin box nuts... I still check these and my wheels regularly.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone is correct, that should not be happening.
Are you sure that the springs are breaking and causing the U-bolts to come off or are the U-bolts coming off and causing the springs to break?
If the U-bolts have never been re-torqued then that is a possibility.
The next time you replace springs, go up one weight rating. If you have 7k springs go to an 8k.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Look into MorRyde independent suspension. No springs, shackles, equalizers.

In the 7 years I have been participating in this forum, I can't remember a post on someone's MorRyde IS failing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I keep the U-bolt nuts at 65 ft-lbs. on my 3670. A while back, I did notice one set of springs was a little misaligned and the clip loose, so I jacked that tire up and loosened the U-bolt nuts just enough to tap the leafs back in line, reposition the clip and tighten it. No problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have thought about using a removable liquid thread lock like Loctite on the suspension bolts. Does anyone see any problem with this? Trace

Last edited:

MTPockets

I have thought about using a removable liquid thread lock like Loctite on the suspension bolts. Does anyone see any problem with this? Trace
That's not a good idea Trace. U-bolts will stretch until they reach a limit based on keeping proper torque. If Loctite is used, the stretching may still occur and Loctite will distort your torque reading later. Also, if U-bolts are removed for any reason, always get new u-bolts, then re-torque occasionally until they settle. Mine took almost 3 years to get there.

- - - Updated - - -

1/2 inch Bolts: 45 ft/lbs - 70 ft/lbs
9/16 inch Bolts: 65 ft/lbs - 95 ft/lbs
5/8 inch Bolts: 100 ft/lbs - 120 ft/lbs

Peace
Dave
. I always use the upper limit.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks Terry. I'm going on 5 years, guess I should inspect mine. Trace

PoppaJR

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum so here goes. It's repulsive to me that this is even an issue. I have a 36' Bighorn and have full timed in a fixed location for 5 1/2 years so the sagging spring syndrome hadn't been apparent. Now it has. We finally have been able to use the Bighorn for it's intended purpose, traveling and vacation. I had wondered why it was leaning to one side and while replacing a leaking hydraulic line (another story for another day) I saw the bent spring as it goes into the eye, grrrrrr.... This just shouldn't be, for the amount you spend on these homes on wheels, what should be one of the most reliable components...ain't. I've decided to change all the springs and upgrade to ones with heavier ratings and American made.
I'd appreciate any input or comment y'all are willing to share.

danemayer

Hi PoppaJR,

Bent at the eye sounds unusual. Can you post a picture on a photo site and link to it (you can't post pictures here for a few more posts).

PoppaJR

Hey danemayer, I'll do my best to post a pic and I'll let you know the location or if you want to pm me I can reply with a pic of said spring.