Big Horn questions, new purchase

Wharton

We are thinking about a new 5th wheel and really like the Heartland. We have several questions and would appreciate any comments/answers that can be provided. I have also sent the list the Heartland for their response. I am sure your answers will create more questions but this is a starting point.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sue and Tom Wharton

Heartland Questions:

We are considering a Heartland RV and have several questions at this time. I would appreciate any input that you can provide.

We generally camp Sept to Jan each year.

Questions:

We like to eat in the trailer when the weather is pleasant. For the 3670 and 3385 how is access to the table for lunch? Would we need to move the table slide out to gain access or can we squeeze in?

With the models with the TV in the rear, is this a problem with viewing? Angle from the chairs etc.

We are planning on a queen bed, is there storage under the bed? Are there night tables or shelves?

We are planning electric jacks all around. Is each one independent(a switch for each one).

Are the tank sensors on the outside of the tanks?

I heard that the bumper doesn’t hold the sewer hose, where is it kept?

Are there water cut offs for each faucet? We had a frozen faucet once and discovered we had to turn the water off to the entire trailer, very inconvenient as we were boondocking and had a 3 hour drive to get a faucet.

Is a Mor-Ryde suspension an option? I have seen one dealer that advertised Mor-Ryde with Heartland. I also thought with an “air suspension” you didn’t need axles.

Are the bearings “never-lube”?

2010augusta

Hello, I will try to answer your questions as best as I can.

We like to eat in the trailer when the weather is pleasant. For the 3670 and 3385 how is access to the table for lunch? Would we need to move the table slide out to gain access or can we squeeze in?

I can't speak for the 3385, but the 3670 the slide has to be out to access both sides of the table.

With the models with the TV in the rear, is this a problem with viewing? Angle from the chairs etc.

Don't know.

We are planning on a queen bed, is there storage under the bed? Are there night tables or shelves?

On the 3670 there is only a 2-3" deep storage, but it can be modified to create a bit more. Don't know about the tables/shelves.

We are planning electric jacks all around. Is each one independent(a switch for each one).

Jack are not independent, The rears will equalize pressure and I am not sure about the front electrics as ours are hydraulic.

The sensors are the classic style sensors that are mounted through the wall of the tank and are prone to catching junk and show the wrong readings.

There is either a storage tube mounted under the trailer near the sewer outlet, or a small storage bin near the sewer outlet.

Are there water cut offs for each faucet? We had a frozen faucet once and discovered we had to turn the water off to the entire trailer, very inconvenient as we were boondocking and had a 3 hour drive to get a faucet.

There are not individual valves, it is all or nothing.

Is a Mor-Ryde suspension an option? I have seen one dealer that advertised Mor-Ryde with Heartland. I also thought with an “air suspension” you didn’t need axles.

There are no options for suspension, but Mor-Ryde is in Elkhart, so it is easy to take the new trailer there and have them install their suspension systems.

No, they are the Ultra-lube hubs.

Hope this helps.

MD Buck

Agree with the answers given and would add these, on our 3670, the sewer hose goes in a small compartment near the outlet and we have no problems viewing the tv from the recliners in the end cap.

nemo45

We have a 3600RE with the TV in the back. Absolutely no problems watching the TV and really like having a 42" screen. We have a king-bed and there are small shelves on each side. Big enough for glasses and TV controls. I think with a queen bed they add a night stand with drawers on one side. The front jacks are not independent and there is only one switch but I put an adjustable foot on oneside to adjust for uneven terrain. There is no bumper on the 3600RE or the 3670 so the only sewer storage is the small compartment by the outlet, big enough for a 5 ft. hose and maybe a 45 deg. elbow. Since there is plenty of room in the basement, I keep a tub there for all of my sewer connections and hose and a seperate tub for fresh water connections, filter and hose to keep them seperated and uncontaminated. Heartlands have by far the biggest basement I have seen.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The rear stabilizer electric jacks come down independently. When one side touches the ground the other side starts down. Once both sides have touched the ground they both move at the same time.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You've gotten pretty much all the info on the 3670. As mentioned, there is NO access to the rear of the trailer without opening the main slide. For viewing the TV, best viewing is from the sofa, directly across from the TV. The recliner next to the sofa is not bad, but the one closest to the TV will give you a poor picture due to the side angle of the LCD. A good plasma screen would not have this problem, but LCD's do.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I will try to give you the best answers I can.....

3670, no. Dont know about the 3385, judging by the floorplan, you may be able to get to one side of the table with the slide in. That was one of our reasons for choosing the 3410RE. We wanted to be able to get to everything even with the slides in.

No, we are able to view the rear mounted tv from anywhere in the 3410 with no problem, even the rear end of the couch or the recliner closest to the rear.

There is very little storage under the beds because of the hydraulic cylinder and other working for the slide. The bed does lift up, there is room to store sheets or blankets under there. I didnt go measure but i would guess the storage is about 4 inches deep under the bed. You can search the forum and find that some members have made mods to the underbed storage to gain some room. There are small shelves on each side of the bed in ours.

Front landing gear work together, Rear jacks work together, both compensate for uneven terrain.

Standard thru tank sensore just like every other manufacturer

Bighorns all have a small storage compartment above the outlet, holds a short hose you can use at dump stations, not much more. Storge tube mounted along or under the frame is the best way to store all the stuff you need for sewer hookups.

No, you will have to turn the water off to the entire trailer.

No Heartland does not offer Mor-Ryde as a factory option. There are reasons they dont. I wont go into them here, but will be glad to give you an email address for someone at Heartland that will give you that information. Along with information on why they dont recomend disc brakes on a fifth wheel or travel trailer. If you want it just send me a PM.

Most "air ride" suspensions do have axles. The Mor-Ryde IS suspension does not have full length axles

Ultra lube

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Wharton,
With regards to the dinette. We have had a Bighorn and we currently own a Landmark with the dinette. I personaly do not care for the dinette now as it is too cumbersome to move the chairs and contort our bodies to get in and out of the chairs all the while trying to keep from bumping our legs into the underside of the table, and that's on a good day with just two of us. We do have our two kids with us normally and we rarely sit at the table together because it is a bit crowded. This past rally in Goshen i had a chance to check out John Bird's Bighorn 3400RL. He had a booth dinette installed in his. It looks great and does not take away from the decor. I was quite pleased when I tried it out so much so that I am going to have a booth dineete installed in my Landmark this November whe I visit the factory. BTW, I am finding that the chairs we currently have aren't all that comfortable after sitting in them fo a while. I am pretty excited t get the booth and also having a little bit of extra storage. I will post picture of the before and after when it is all said and done.

Good luck,
Mark

larneal

Bh 3385rl

We have had our new 3385RL for about 4 months and we really like it. You can get into the front chairs at the dinette with the slide in. The TV can be positioned so that it can be seen from any position in the RL. Under the bed has abundant storage and there is a night stand on the left side which we really like. The BH has no bumper but bike rakes can be mounted. Hope this helps.

Larry & Gail Neal
2009 BH 3385RL

skyguy

Here's some more info based on our 2010 3670RL....

TV - the bracket it is mounted on allows for tilt and swivel so that it may be seen from the recliner closest to the TV, all the way around to the kitchen. The cabinet that sits on the counter between the kitchen and the TV will block just the right edge of the TV if you are trying to watch the footbal game while preparing lunch / dinner.

Many folks (Including us) will swap the sofa and the recliners if you are parked anywhere for more than a few days. There are moving pads available at Wallyworld, etc that make moving the sofa and chairs pretty easy.

We not not see any limitation on viewing imposed by the LCD screen - very wide angle.

We have a 20 foot heavy duty sewer hose, complete with clear attachment on one end, and the right angle sewer attachment on the other end - this fits comfortably in the 2010 storage compartment just above the dump valve on the exterior.

Hope this helps!

Wharton

Thanks for all the input, of course this has prompted more questions.

1) I understand there are now 2 batteries, when we looked at a BH a year ago the 2nd battery was kind of tossed into the front compartment. In the 2010 are they both located in the same compartment and are they 6 volt golf cart batteries?

2) Is there a separate switch for each room? This way we could slide out the big slide to access the table for lunch.

3) We are thinking about getting the Honda EU2000 generator, can that be stored in the generator compartment? What is the size of the compartment?

Thanks

rick_debbie_gallant

Thanks for all the input, of course this has prompted more questions.

1) I understand there are now 2 batteries, when we looked at a BH a year ago the 2nd battery was kind of tossed into the front compartment. In the 2010 are they both located in the same compartment and are they 6 volt golf cart batteries? My 3670 came with just one 12 volt battery. It did have another battery box mounted and vented in the front compartment. the first thing I did was to buy two new larger battery's and put the one that came with the 5er in my boat. I have a disconnect switch for the additional battery.

2) Is there a separate switch for each room? This way we could slide out the big slide to access the table for lunch. I assume you mean a hydro control valve. At least on the 3670 there is a separate valve for each room which allows you control of each room. each valve is marked.

3) We are thinking about getting the Honda EU2000 generator, can that be stored in the generator compartment? What is the size of the compartment? compartment is very large, huge. If you are talking about the front baggage compartment that is. That is where I would put one if I got one.

Thanks

Your welcome!

see a BigHorn?

Sue and Tom Wharton,
We have a 2007 3400RL at the Anvil CG in Williamsburg through the end of Oct. Do you want to stop by to inspect a BigHorn to see if one would work for you? The newer ones are a bit different, but this would give you a good idea. Call me at 757-660-2422. Jay

Wharton

Thanks Jay for the offer. We are currently out west but I see you have a 757 number. Do you have a stick house in the area?

Internet connections have been dicey so it may be a while before I c an answer.

Sue

We used to but not anymore. We retired from Langley AFB last year and now live in Wisconsin. Just down visiting our kids who stayed in the area. Jay

nemo45

I store my Yamaha 2800EI, which is bigger than a Honda EU2000, in the front storage compartment along with my dish and tripod, high pressure washer, a luggage set, two chairs, a folding table and many more things in my 3600RE. So, yes, there is plenty of room for your Honda generator and many other things.