Big horn travler

danemayer

Hi papacokes,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

There are a couple of possibilities. The 120V AC goes to a junction box on the front inside corner of the water heater. If the wire nuts came off, that could be a location that's shorting to ground. If your water heater is just to the rear of the pass through basement storage, you can get to it by taking down the rear wall of the basement storage.

Another possibility is a short in the heating element. This can happen if the water heater electric is turned on when there's no water in the tank, or if you have a Suburban unit with a worn out anode rod. Anode rods should be changed when they show significant wear, usually at least annually.

orion7144

I don't recall a 15A fuse inside for the hot water heater. There is a 15A 120V breaker. Is it turned on outside for the 120V? Mine was off when we bought ours.

Papacokes

Yes I don’t think that fuse is for the hot water but it blows it when it on for electric I think maybe a short ?!

danemayer

Sorry, I missed the part about 15 amp fuse earlier. The switch in the control panel is probably 12V DC that activates a relay that in turn supplies the 120V AC to the water heater. So the problem could be at the relay, which is probably behind the control panel.

Papacokes

Ok thanks I’ll look into it pain in the but

- - - Updated - - -

What’s funny is that when it blows that fuse the panel inside that runs the my rv and auto leveling quits until you put in a new fuse ?!!!!

danemayer

Ok thanks I’ll look into it pain in the but

- - - Updated - - -

What’s funny is that when it blows that fuse the panel inside that runs the my rv and auto leveling quits until you put in a new fuse ?!!!!

The auto-leveling system gets most power from the mini-circuit breakers near the battery. There can be a fuse protecting the leveling control board, but that's usually an inline fuse. And in any event, it shouldn't be sharing a 12V circuit with the water heater.

You may have to take it back to the dealer to sort through it.