Big Step - Ordered the truck.

Bohemian

The Aisin transmission with the 3.42 diff has the same 1st gear drive ratio that one would have if they had the 68RFE transmission with a "3.93" diff. In other words, with the Aisin transmission and the 3.42 diff you still get great low gear pulling power. Then you get a better high gear drive ratio for highway fuel economy. The Aisin has a much greater range of gears low to high. Then the Aisin has a much higher power capacity and towing capability than the 68RFE. The Aisin is a little heavier so you lose an insignificant amount of payload.

DRW payload for this truck is about 5,600 lbs. About 4,200 for the SRW equivalent.

Max towing is about 20,500 lbs. for this DRW truck with Aisin. About 16,500 lbs. with the 68RFE transmission.

ncrzrbk

Yes I agree. I like the truck you ordered and I think you will love it. I drive mine a lot as a daily driver therefore I felt the Aisin was overkill for me. We only tow on weekends and vacations so I felt the 68RFE was good for us. If I was towing all of the time, I would have done just what you did.

Hope you get in sooner than the 8 weeks. By the way, the 3.42's work just fine around the mountains of NC. No complaints and this is my 2nd Ram.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ncrzrbk

I stand corrected. I was looking at the 68RFE not the Aisin. I didn't realize there was that much difference between the two Transmissions. Glad you pointed that out.

Bohemian

Well, the plan is to fulltime. Thus, this will be the frequently used tow machine pulling a 15,500 lb. GVWR 5th and the daily family truckster.

ncrzrbk

Now you have my curiosity up and maybe you can help answer this. Why would the Aisin in SRW have almost 4000lb less towing capacity than the DRW?

I am looking at this from the same perspective of the difference between the SRW and DRW with 3.42's towing capacity being almost the same. I understand the payload difference.

Bohemian

Now you have my curiosity up and maybe you can help answer this. Why would the Aisin in SRW have almost 4000lb less towing capacity than the DRW?

I am looking at this from the same perspective of the difference between the SRW and DRW with 3.42's towing capacity being almost the same. I understand the payload difference.

My guess is that the SRW real axle/rear end/drive train can't handle the power/torque under the greater loads that the Aisin can handle, thus the Aisin adds no real towing capacity benefit in the SRW other than durability. In fact the Aisin reduces payload and max towing in the SRW models due to it's greater weight, but only a little.

The weakest link determines the specs.

Changing the diff ratio does not change the max payload, it only changes the max towing. If you are already maxed out with the 3.42 in the SRW, there is no max towing increase benefit to the larger diff ratios.

Last edited:

ncrzrbk

I did look at a 2015 3500 DRW truck this week while traveling and did notice that it had a different rear differential cover on the Aisin. I do believe the 3500 in DRW has a larger 11.8 rear vs the 11.5 in 3500 SRW. That could be where the difference.

Thanks for helping a newbie learn more about these trucks. A better informed buyer makes for making the right decision the first time.

Bohemian

I did look at a 2015 3500 DRW truck this week while traveling and did notice that it had a different rear differential cover on the Aisin. I do believe the 3500 in DRW has a larger 11.8 rear vs the 11.5 in 3500 SRW. That could be where the difference.

Thanks for helping a newbie learn more about these trucks. A better informed buyer makes for making the right decision the first time.

11.5 for the 3.42 DRW and all 68RFE.
11.8 for the larger ratio diffs with the Aisin.

According to the color glossy sales brochure.

ncrzrbk

Thanks again. Do you ever look at the cummins forums? I browse over there trying to learn as much as I can on these trucks.

jdfishing

Thanks all. I almost chose the Chevy, but, well, I didn't. I am happy with my choice, and equally important, so is the DW.

Photos will be coming, probably in the snow.
So what pushed you into the Dodge over the Chevy? I'm in the looking mode now and really torn between the two. Did the dealer give you a demo on the air suspension. I think I really like that option, but I've haven't really seen it in action. My wife has to check them out for comfort before the final decision is made. Very nice rig you have there. That's a pulling machine. Enjoy, when you get it.

ncrzrbk

Yes you have to read through the modders to find relevant information.

happykraut

Thanks again. Do you ever look at the cummins forums? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
That forum has been very very helpful to me. one of the members gives me daily updates on the status of my new truck. Another member found an auxiliary gas tank for me.

Bohemian

So what pushed you into the Dodge over the Chevy? I'm in the looking mode now and really torn between the two. Did the dealer give you a demo on the air suspension. I think I really like that option, but I've haven't really seen it in action. My wife has to check them out for comfort before the final decision is made. Very nice rig you have there. That's a pulling machine. Enjoy, when you get it.

Wow, that's in fact tough. It was a close call and I went back and forth several times.

When it comes to exterior style, I don't care. Maybe, slightly better forward visibility in the Ram. Both had great interiors and features, Longhorn vs High Country. I thought the Chevy was better organized, cleaner, less busy. Liked the trailer brake controller in the higher position in the Chevy, though I understand many are bothered that it's on the left.

I liked the ride much better in the Ram. It was more fun and felt more agile. Weird right? I really like the air suspension and think it will be better when empty and better when loaded. I did not get a chance to test it. I liked the Aisin with the 3.42 axle. Just a better selection of drive ratios in my opinion. I liked that Ram gave more detailed model and trim level specs (if you looked for it) making me feel that I was more likely to have fewer surprises. I liked the simplicity of the 5th wheel puck system and wiring.

There are many details to my thinking.

In the end, the Ram decision just felt better overall. To top it off, Ram came out with a national $2,500 cash back program. Chevy hasn't yet for the 2015s. Ram dealers guarantee the cash back program on the day you order or the day you pickup, whichever is better. With Chevy, only the day of delivery cash back plan is available.

I have manufactures affiliate pricing in both cases, so the deal was good.

Attachments

• 2014 Ram 3500 CC Longhorn Extract Tow Chart.xlsx
    13.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2014_RAM.3500.Towing.Specs.pdf
    107 KB · Views: 30

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulation and can't wait to see pics once she's in. We have the same package (gunmetal gray color) minus the air suspension on our 2014 Ram 3500. At first wasn't sure about the 3.42 diff. but haven't had any problems with this higher gear. You will love the Aisin transmission - just too slick moving thru the gears. And what can you say about the Cumins engine - it just loves to work.

Bohemian

That forum has been very very helpful to me. one of the members gives me daily updates on the status of my new truck. Another member found an auxiliary gas tank for me.

I have heard that my truck is ordered, but alter that nothing. No VIN/VON yet. How long was it until you got any information? What was your est delivery time from when you ordered it?

Last edited: