Bighorn 3270rs Questions

george637

We are considering buying a 2016 Bighorn 3270rs. We are looking at it online right now and our dealer is bringing it up for us to take a look at. We're putting together a list of questions and could use your help with these:
1) What is a welcome home light?
2) There is a something on the wall by the dining table with flowers on it. Is that a light?
3) It looks like a few of the shade valances have an oblong plate on them. Does anyone know what those would be for?

Thanks for your help!

danemayer

The welcome home light is a feature that controls the interior aisle light over the entry door. There should be a switch for that light in the control panel. If you leave the light switch OFF, when you return to the coach after dark, as the entry door is opened, it signals an electronic module to turn the aisle light on, welcoming you home. The light typically stays on for about 30 seconds so you can get to the control panel and turn on other lights.

Don't know about the other 2 items.

You didn't mention when this is a new trailer, or a resale. If new, it's probably been on the dealer lot for quite a while as 2018 models have been on the market since this past spring. You'll want to carefully check the caulking on the roof, around windows, lights, vents, etc. as caulking needs to be maintained frequently. Dealers rarely maintain trailers that sit on their lots.

Also, Heartland has been shipping Bighorns with Sailun S637 tires for a couple of years. Check to make sure that's what this trailer has. If it has Towmax or Towmaster, you should insist on new Sailun S637 tires.

And if this is a resale from a dealer, the same things hold true since you can't be sure what the previous owner has done.

Nuclearcowboy

We had a 3270RS for about a year before upgrading to our present unit. We absolutely loved it, just needed something bigger after being in it a year. Dan has given some great advice (by the way, our unit did come with the Sailun tires Dan mentions). If the unit checks out in the recommended areas, you will love it.

george637

This is a used unit. Thanks for the details about the welcome home light, the "heads-up" about the tires and the positive feedback. The unit should be delivered to our dealer in a few days. Can't wait to see it in person. The info you provide will definitely help us look over the rig. I can already tell that this owner forum will be a great place to get info from those who personally know Heartland products.

george637

Wall Flower.jpg
Is the nature piece on the wall (above the chair on the right) just for decoration or does it serve some practical purpose?

Ldo

This is a used unit. Thanks for the details about the welcome home light, the "heads-up" about the tires and the positive feedback. The unit should be delivered to our dealer in a few days. Can't wait to see it in person. The info you provide will definitely help us look over the rig. I can already tell that this owner forum will be a great place to get info from those who personally know Heartland products.
We have this rig and it has been really good for us. We did a couple of upgrades that we have been thankful for; put an additional Fantistic Fan in the bathroom and Rydemor Hitch on the front. Also queen size bed is much easier to deal with than the King.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mr.D

I thought the same thing, but as I searched the internet, I found the same piece on several 3270rl rigs.
We have the same "Decor" It would like really pretty with a light behind it.........working on that

- - - Updated - - -

The welcome home light is a feature that controls the interior aisle light over the entry door. There should be a switch for that light in the control panel. If you leave the light switch OFF, when you return to the coach after dark, as the entry door is opened, it signals an electronic module to turn the aisle light on, welcoming you home. The light typically stays on for about 30 seconds so you can get to the control panel and turn on other lights.

You didn't mention when this is a new trailer, or a resale. If new, it's probably been on the dealer lot for quite a while as 2018 models have been on the market since this past spring. You'll want to carefully check the caulking on the roof, around windows, lights, vents, etc. as caulking needs to be maintained frequently. Dealers rarely maintain trailers that sit on their lots.

Also, Heartland has been shipping Bighorns with Sailun S637 tires for a couple of years. Check to make sure that's what this trailer has. If it has Towmax or Towmaster, you should insist on new Sailun S637 tires.

And if this is a resale from a dealer, the same things hold true since you can't be sure what the previous owner has done.

You mentioned "maintenance" on caulking........how do you do that??

george637

We have the same "Decor" It would like really pretty with a light behind it.........working on that

- - - Updated - - -

You mentioned "maintenance" on caulking........how do you do that??

How do you plan on putting in lights behind it? That is something I'm interesting in doing as well. Thanks.

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
Well hey you've got all kinds of help and info here, so I just want to say Congratulations and Happy camping!!!!:cool:

Terri

Mr.D

How do you plan on putting in lights behind it? That is something I'm interesting in doing as well. Thanks.
Still working on that. Can bring juice down from cabinet but I don't want to see anything.....maybe a wireless light??

Ldo

Hello danemayer,
I have a 3270 and neither light in front storage lights , they have been working but stopped. All other lights of similar type operate properly throughout the coach. Checked all breakers, fuses, inline fuses, and some taped connections. Any ideas? I'm out and usually I pretty good with this kind of stuff. Thanks in advance either way. Ldo

danemayer

If you're talking about the lights in the pass thru basement storage, there's a switch on each light and a master switch next to the level up control panel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

Just to add my $.02 worth, in case I missed it. There is also a light in the generator / battery compartment. It has a switch located on the light. On our 3270 there is also a master switch located on the left hand side by the door edge near the valves hydraulic .

Ldo

If you're talking about the lights in the pass thru basement storage, there's a switch on each light and a master switch next to the level up control panel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I found it after a call to Heartland. Why would they put a unlabeled light switch on the computer control panel and actually the master switch is on wrong side of basement access? Beats me but I did learn a great deal about the electrical system. Never the less, thank you for the help. Ldo