Bighorn Bedroom slide problem

Fonz46

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3570RS that uses a Norco cable operated slide system which has problems. The slide will still go in and out but makes a grinding noise when retracting and seems to be in a bind. I had a local RV Tech look at the system who said the gearbox is bad and needs to be replaced. I told him to go ahead and replace the gearbox but never heard back from him. He indicated it would be a difficult repair as the motor/gearbox is on the bottom instead of on top, as most Norco systems are. There is an access hole in the panel under the bed, but it's pretty tight. He seemed to be concerned about having access to the adjustment points for the cables. I assume he didn't want to tackle the job because of the issues.

Have any of you guys replaced the gearbox on your bedroom slide and if so, how bad was it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but want to be as informed as possible before jumping in. I've watched some youtube videos on replacing the gearbox, but they were all with the system on top of the slide. I've found several sources for the R25076 gear box, but there seem to be 2 different versions with different shaft sizes.

Any suggestions, ideas, etc would be welcome.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You don't have this access but I wanted to give you a veiw of it..
If you can pull off the entire inner panel off under the bed to make it easier.

Not sure if this will help you at all but I thought I'd toss it out there.

Jerrod
a48e60f44ba277e374fcb688d3d319db.jpg
95f985bd0f04346255c5222b73ac9e3c.jpg
0ec8d5afaefa08041be7893b03626cf6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sengli

I havent changed the gearbox, but I have adjusted the cables before. I took the mattress off the bed, and removed under lying plywood to gain access. The motor and gearbox is right where the pictures in the above post, show it. I think the hardest part might be re-stringing the cables and that drive chain.

TajMyhaul

Jerrod those photos are impressive especially the multiple extensions on the drill.
My 2013 Landmark has same set up but access door is much narrower. To adjust the cable yoke system on far side I have to take bed storage box floor out to access.
What an engineering marvel this Norco System is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the disaster waiting to happen Heartland throws into their so called "top of the line trailer"?? Glad my slides are hydraulic without all that crap to go wrong, good luck with the repair OP.

mlpeloquin

Gear box was replaced on mine. This had a problem since new and I never had a trailer with a slide out prior. I was told that the "thump, thump, thump" when the slide went in or out was "normal". I should have known better. Just after the warranty was out, the gear box failed coming back from a trip. I had to push it as I used the remote to try and get it back in. I am glad to have the remote. It stayed in on the way home. I know better now. My cables have now been adjusted to the maximum limit, so a new set is in order in the future. Not bad for five years and a lot of traveling.