Bighorn - Blackwater tank issues

kowAlski631

I know a lot of folks will say they use regular TP with no problems . . .

But one thing to remember . . . it isn't our own septic tanks we are dumping in.

We make sure we use lots of water and thoroughly clean the black tank. You cannot use copious amounts, though. No problems so far on our boats or BH.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We make sure we use lots of water and thoroughly clean the black tank. You cannot use copious amounts, though. No problems so far on our boats or BH.

My point was not about the black tank in our RV's . . .

But most of the campgrounds that are not in the city have their own septic tanks.

We need to keep that in mind when we are dumping our tanks.

Regular household TP does not break down like the RV TP does.

It just sits there for months . . .

We used to live on a lake with no sewer systems . . .

I know what a backed up septic tank can do . . . and it ain't pretty!

danemayer

One test you can do on TP is to put a square into a glass of water and agitate for 30 seconds to see how easily it breaks up. If it doesn't disintegrate quickly, use something else.

Philp55

Just got a bottle of Tank Twch DRX for plugged black tanks. We put 6oz into the lack tank. Going to let it sit for about a week and then see what happens.
Has anyone else tried this product?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
No, but some products should not be left in the tanks that long. Read the label and see if they recommend that long of soak. The product we use says " add to tank with 5 gallons of HOT water and drive to the CG and dump. Boy does it work to get rid of the "poop pyramid". Having CRS and cant remember the name of it.

Philp55

From what I have read, Tank Tech Rex is a pro biotic micro organism that survives on solids and waste in your black tank. The longer it sits the more the organism replicates and the more solid are broken down. We will see when I return.

Philp55

Tank Tech Rx Report
I returned home today. Tank Tech RX for plugged tanks was added about 5 days ago. This morning i topped up the black water tank until it was completely full and then went on about my day. Once all or most of my being gone for three weeks chores Or most of them where complete, i moved the RV to our dump station and prepared to be disappointed.
When i pulled the dump handle i was not disappointed at all. A big gush of Black water signaled my plugged tank was cleared. I let the tank drain until it was completely empty, closed the valve attached the garden hose to the built in tank cleaner. I let this run until the tank was once again completely full. And then drained again, the water draining much cleaner. Then a third rinse and a dump that was pretty much clear.
Does Tank Tech work? As far as i am concerned it did in this case.
The other part of the Tank Tech spiel is that it makes the smell go away. Once again it did as advertised, not a chemically scented smell, just no stink. I think i will continue to us Tank Tech until i can find a better product.