Bighorn - Portable Generator Hookup

RichPal

I own a 2009 BH 3055RL. I want to hook a portable generator form my p/u to the trailer. Is my unit pre wired for a connection and if so how would I run the connection from the trailer to the generator in my p/u? Reason being it's HOT in Texas

LBR

I own a 2009 BH 3055RL. I want to hook a portable generator form my p/u to the trailer. Is my unit pre wired for a connection and if so how would I run the connection from the trailer to the generator in my p/u? Reason being it's HOT in Texas
It works good for me to start my auxiliary 2K Yamaha up and plug the trailer's cord into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piperflyer

Just plug your RV Power Cord into the generator for power. You might need an adapter...

Last edited by a moderator:

RichPal

My trailer is 50 amp. Power cord is in the rear of the trailer. I want to hook the trailer to the generator which is in the bed of the truck so that I can run the A/C while towing. The A/C will run on 30 AMP. I need to know if the trailer is "generator prepped" and where is the wire in the forward compartment. Do I just add a 30 amp wire extension from the trailer to the pickup bed. I see it done all the time but I just haven't asked how it is done. Temp in south Texas averages 85 deg and towing 250 miles trailer gets very hat inside

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
My trailer is 50 amp. Power cord is in the rear of the trailer. I want to hook the trailer to the generator which is in the bed of the truck so that I can run the A/C while towing. The A/C will run on 30 AMP. I need to know if the trailer is "generator prepped" and where is the wire in the forward compartment. Do I just add a 30 amp wire extension from the trailer to the pickup bed. I see it done all the time but I just haven't asked how it is done. Temp in south Texas averages 85 deg and towing 250 miles trailer gets very hat inside

If your rig is prepped for a generator it's not for the portable type you want to use.

danemayer

Is there an unused metal junction box in the front compartment? That's where an on-board generator would connect, if you have generator prep. If there is a box, and there are three #6 wires and a heavy ground wire terminating in the box, you would need to add a receptacle there and build a custom cable that runs from that receptacle to your generator's 30 amp 120V receptacle. At the junction box, you need to use the L1 wire or the transfer switch won't transfer. To tell L1 from L2, you may have to take down the rear wall of the basement storage, open the transfer switch, and confirm which wire is connected to the L1 terminal of the transfer switch. Of course you'd want to have power disconnected before opening the transfer switch.

If you're not sure what's what with electrical receptacle and custom cords, you might want to get help from a licensed electrician. Some generators supply 120V/30amps, others 240V/30amps. You can't afford to get it wrong.

Make sure you have slack in the cabling to allow for turns, and figure out how to manage the cable so it doesn't get hung up on anything.

DougS

Doug S
RichPal, I installed a 30 amp shore line at my King Pin which supplies power to the RV through a 50 amp transfer switch. I use two Honda 2000's mounded by the trucks tail gate. I have now used this setup on two rigs, and it works for us. I am able to drive down the road with the generators running.
It is tricky getting the wire from the King Pin to the front storage area but it can be done. I have the wire lying across the fiberglass. My 2011 LM was ordered with generator prep installed, my 2016 Bighorn was ordered without generator prep.
I like the Honda's because they are not to tall for my PaceEdwards cover and they start in one or two pulls.

RichPal

DougS, I'm waiting for the factory to tell me by vin if the trailer was 'gen prepped'. I don't see a junction bow but I do see three #6 gauge wires capped off just waiting to be connected to something. You wouldn't happen to be able to send a picture or your hook up?

RichPal

jimtoo

I suggest you call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN when you call. They should be able to tell you while on the phone.

Jim M

DougS

Doug S
RichPal, my 2011 LM had an hour clock by the inside switches, if you have an hour clock and switch, that would indicate gen prep. I am not sure what the factory did for your year.

Oregon_Camper

DougS, I'm waiting for the factory to tell me by vin if the trailer was 'gen prepped'. I don't see a junction bow but I do see three #6 gauge wires capped off just waiting to be connected to something. You wouldn't happen to be able to send a picture or your hook up?

RichPal

Can you attached a picture of the wires?

wehavefun

I ran wiring from hitch also, I first ran an old piece of garden hose then slid the wiring inside of that for protection. I don't have gen prep, used a 50 amp automatic transfer switch.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
I ran wiring from hitch also, I first ran an old piece of garden hose then slid the wiring inside of that for protection. I don't have gen prep, used a 50 amp automatic transfer switch.

How did you secure the hose to the trailer?

wehavefun

I mounted my outside receptacle to the hitch, ran the hose and wiring thru the hitch then between the frame and 'skin' to the front compartment, from there I ran the hose and wire to the right side propane compartment then into the basement, along the top channel.