bighorn slideout shear pin

herefishy

Hope someone can keep me from having to stay on hold with Lippert 15 min then get cut off - frustrating experience.
We sheared the shear pin on the square rod that connects the two tracks that push the slide room in and out. Found the pin and put it back long enough to move the room, but was going to pound it out and replace it with a screw - easy fix, right? Problem is when the room is in the in position everything is fine, but when I looked at it in the out position, the hydraulic tube is so close to the square rod where I want to put the screw in that I am afraid the screw will bump it and cut into it. Does anybody have any insight on this? Like maybe the minute the tube starts working, it pulls away from the square rod? The slide is a "flat floor" type that drops down at the end, so maybe this is why the tube is so close?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Re: bighorn slideout shear pinu

Why did it shear?
If it's truly a "shear pin" which is made from soft metal designed to shear in case the mechanism binds replace it with another shear pin.
If you would insert a standard or harder bolt and the slide offers resistance the results may be unsatisfactory.
Like Dan says a hardware store or farm store like Tractor Supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: bighorn slideout shear pinu

Any hardware store should have them. Take the old one with you. Lyle has a good point..did it shear off or just fall out. Even a GOOD auto parts store might have one.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Quit raining here in Myrtle Beach so when I was out and about I crawled underneath and snapped this photo...
ed9a75450777955f425b9c08679b790a.jpg

It's not a roll pin but a short machine bolt. This one has a hex head (DS) but the ODS has a pan head bolt . Anyway did the OP just lose the nut or was it sheared??
Definitely needs to be fastened as mine is a round shaft inserted into a square tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

How about using a rollpin with a band of self-adhesive silicone "Emergency Tape" around the shaft retaining the rollpin?