Bighorn - Surge protector

teasac69

I suddenly started having some chatter in my progressive when I plug it in to my storage barn which has 30 amp service. I pulled my rig home to live in it in my driveway while doing some remodeling to the house and got same chatter. Talked to progressive customer service and we have an appointment to talk to the tech on the phone tomorrow with my multi-meter and do some troubleshooting and determine where the problem is and then they will replace. I like the "let's find the problem" versus just send me a new one, what if it is something other than the unit? so far I like what they are doing to help me.

I do prefer the portable unit and I too have devised a cable lock system to protect it on the pedestal and keep it around. Have seen other units out there but seems to me the Progressive is the most seen on my travels.

Happy Trailering
I suddenly started having a "chattering" in my Pro

UPDATE ON MY SITUATION !!!!!!

Well, suffered my first disappointment with Progressive. My EMS-50 started to chatter and must be repaired. I spoke to the service man this morning and they require a copy of my original sales receipt or the repair will be $139.00 WHY???? what difference does it make if it has a lifetime warranty? I keep receipts very well so I'll find it once we move back into the house but for now all my gear is packed up since we had to move out for all this remodeling. No sensitivity to my situation, their unit failed and yet the proof is a burden on me with a lifetime warranty situation??? don't get it. I am disappointed with their willingness to find an excuse to not meet my needs versus meeting my needs first and finding a solution. i.e. fix it and get me back in business and let me send them the receipt when I find it in 30-45 days once we move back in. But the point is, seldom any more do you find a company willing to really show they care about the paying customer. I had to leave DIRECTV for a similar reason. They wanted to charge me a "relocation fee" to move the cable from the eave of my house to the driveway where I'm parked, less than 25 feet and then another relocation fee to move back into the house.

Yes, I know the common denominator in these two matters is ME but I'm not hyper sensitive to this stuff or demanding beyond reasonable but just don't get it when a company basically says we don't care about you or your business. The DIRECTV thing I get, they are too big for their britches. Progressive Industries thing I really don't get, they aren't that big and need happy campers on the highway. Much easier for them to fix and stand behind their product that failed than to escape their responsibility by hiding behind some lame excuse for a receipt on a LIFETIME warrantied item. I could see it if it was only under warranty for 1 year or 6 months but it's lifetime people. what difference does it make WHEN I bought it.

ok I feel better now, got my rant off my chest.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It is probably only a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser . . . which is why they want to see the receipt.

avvidclif

Now you know why they require a receipt. While you have it in hand register it also.

Copied from PI's warranty statement;

This is a non-transferrable Lifetime Warranty and is exclusive to the original owner and covers those products purchased from an authorized dealer, retailer or seller.

teasac69

Now you know why they require a receipt. While you have it in hand register it also.

Copied from PI's warranty statement;

This is a non-transferrable Lifetime Warranty and is exclusive to the original owner and covers those products purchased from an authorized dealer, retailer or seller.

It was registered, that is my disappointment. They have my registration and know I'm the original owner. I'll get over it, just an inconvenience. What bugs me about these type situations is how loudly they brag about their products and then how quickly they disappear when they fail. they should be going out of their way to quickly get me protected again and stand behind their failed unit, versus making me wait and be exposed while it is not attached. No different than any other politicians promises

avvidclif

It was registered, that is my disappointment. They have my registration and know I'm the original owner. I'll get over it, just an inconvenience. What bugs me about these type situations is how loudly they brag about their products and then how quickly they disappear when they fail. they should be going out of their way to quickly get me protected again and stand behind their failed unit, versus making me wait and be exposed while it is not attached. No different than any other politicians promises

Funny, I've never seen them brag about their service except on their website. BUT I sure have seen a lot of other people brag about their customer service. Call some of the other mfgs at 8PM on Sat nite and see what kind of support you get. I've never experienced it but have seen several reports about it.

My 2 cents. I've never had a problem with mine, over 3 years old.

I hope no one ever has the problem I have had with an EMS. Could be a hazard to your life. Thank someone if yours keeps working as it should.

danemayer

I hope no one ever has the problem I have had with an EMS. Could be a hazard to your life. Thank someone if yours keeps working as it should.

Based on your earlier post, your EMS didn't have a problem. But because the failure happened after the EMS, there was no way for it to help you. Your experience makes a good argument for having an inline EMS installed just before the circuit breaker panel so as to catch a more comprehensive set of failure scenarios, including the one you had.

donr827

Go with the progressive industries one. Either HW or plug in. I personally use the plug in one. I have not had any issues with it trying to walk away but I have since bought a chain and lock it best I can to the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same for me. I have taken mine from current trailer to a new trailer.
Don

Your right about the EMS. I have had so many things fail that it is hard to keep documentation straight. Very disappointed with quality on this Bighorn. Some things were covered but the most serious ones were not covered. The power issue was just one of 13 breakdowns. Where ever the EMS is placed there can still be power issues in the unprotected area before it or even after it depends on the situation.
Based on your earlier post, your EMS didn't have a problem. But because the failure happened after the EMS, there was no way for it to help you. Your experience makes a good argument for having an inline EMS installed just before the circuit breaker panel so as to catch a more comprehensive set of failure scenarios, including the one you had.