Bighorn vs Big Country

Brireey1600

What are the differences between Bighorn and Big Country in terms of quality and craftsmanship.
also I am trying to compare the Bighorn 3160 elite and the Bighorn 3270 for full timing. Would appreciate opinions.
Thank you

jimtoo

Re: Bighorn vs BigCountry

Hi Brireey1600,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some opinions from our other members soon. But both the Big Horn and Big Country are built in the same plant, same employees. Both built with the same materials, just different floor plans and options available.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you in a Heartland unit.

Jim M

KrazyKampers

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-Retired

What are the differences between Bighorn and Big Country in terms of quality and craftsmanship.
also I am trying to compare the Bighorn 3160 elite and the Bighorn 3270 for full timing. Would appreciate opinions.
Thank you

Hi. We just purchased a Bighorn 3160 EL last fall. We looked at the 3270. The only real difference is the floor plan. The W/D hookups are in the bedroom closet in the 3270. The bathroom has a corner tub and the toilet is positioned differently with two entry doors. The 3160 has the W/D in the large pantry closet in the kitchen and you give up some counter space. It's really a matter of personal preference. If I remember correctly they are almost the same length too.

MCTalley

Quality and craftsmanship are essentially the same. They're both made on the same assembly line with, generally, the same components. Bighorns have more standard equipment than the Big Country.

RVFun4Us

Don't think you could go wrong with either one. We too looked at both of these units and decided on the 3270. Washer/Dryer prep area is much different. We like the large windows in the 3160 (one of the reasons it is called an Elite model). Comes down to personal preference.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Recently at the NTX rally we got to compare a new Bighorn 3970RD and our new Big Country 4010RD. Both have a similar floorplan, but subtle and not so subtle differences.

Here are some we noticed:

BH has larger windows than BC.
BH has more ornate cabinetry than BC.
BH has day/night MCD shades, vs night shades only in BC
BH has light countertops, BC has dark countertops.
BH has darker wood color.
BH has slam baggage door handles on propane doors, BC does not.
BH has struts to support baggage doors, BC has magnets
BH has fiberglass rear cap, BC does not.
BH has brushed nickel hardware, BC has oil-rubbed bronze.
Leather furniture color seems to be the same in both, but features of recliners/loveseats may be different.
BH has bead board look ceiling texture, BC ceiling looks the same as the wall texture.
BH and BC have decorative beam ceiling treatment options, but they are different.

Those were just a few "visual" differences we noticed. You can compare the units spec-wise on Heartland's website, and you'll see a few more. Like some have said, some of the "options" on BC are "standard" on BH.

Quality-wise, they are made the same way with the same assemblers. Visually, the BH appears more highly appointed.

I think you can't go wrong with either one. Having looked at them with a buying eye, I think Heartland has made many improvements in the past few years.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I say look at both brands and pick out the one (complete RV) that you like best.

It probably doesn't matter whether it is a BH or BC.

Next time we upgrade it will probably be one or the other.

Brireey1600

Thank you everyone for your replies. We purchased the Bighorn 3160 Elite. The quality seems good. It's just when you get to the little odds and ends that you pick apart on the floor plans 3160 vs 3270. All in all the Bighorn attracted us and seems to be well built and we are happy with our decision on the Bighorn

jbeletti

Congrats on your Bighorn purchase. Did you pick it up already? Reason I ask is that we have a rally going on in Navarre, FL this weekend. Time to go meet a bunch of other Heartland owners :)

Brireey1600

Yes we did pick it up but we are in Arizona and will be heading to the Grand Canyon in a week. Possibly a future rally would be in our plans.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Welcome to the Heartland family!

We spent two nights at the south rim of the Grand Canyon last year on our way to an Arizona HOC Rally!

Please consider joining the HOC . . . and go to as many rallies as you can!

They are a blast!

By the by . . . where did you pick up your new trailer?

Mrsfish

Yes we did pick it up but we are in Arizona and will be heading to the Grand Canyon in a week. Possibly a future rally would be in our plans.

there are a couple of rallys in the area during the next 6 weeks if your plans are flexible. 1 outside of Albuequerque, NM and 1 in Buena Vista, CO. Know a lot of people going to these rallies and it's a good group. wish we were going, but life gets in the way.