Bike rack at front

Geoman

Just curious if anybody has tried to mount a bike rack/holder on the front area of a north trail. I have a long wheel base recumbent and don't really want to hang it off the back of the trailer wheel it could get banged up or potentially block the tail lights.
"New FX21 owner"

jimtoo

Hi Geoman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I am sure you will get some answers from out other members soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

davebennington

Geoman,

I have tried the front mount on our fifth wheel and found that when traveling down the road at 55 to 60 MPH it effected the smooth ride with the wind buffeting the bike in addition I like to have a cover on our bikes and the wind shreaded the cover in a few short months. I now carry the bikes on the rear and the cover lasts years. You may find it different on your rig.

dave

mbopp

Welcome.

I believe Swagman(?) used to make a bike rack that fit on the front frame over the propane tanks. And I also recall they were expensive.
Can you mount a roof rack on your tow vehicle? Yakima and Thule are well respected brands but there are knock-offs available.
I found a rack for my F150 on Craigslist.

Gizzy

I installed a front receiver on the truck and we carry a recumbent trike on a rack. Works for us.

evolvingpowercat

I have a Edge M21 and have thought many times about putting a bike holder above the propane tanks but tow with a SUV and have had concerns regarding clearance of the bike on tight turns that have held me back from doing it.

noobee

I have used a rack that attaches to the pin box. It is a Top Pop or Pop Top. Used it for many years without any problems.
BTW: it is for sale as I no longer am traveling with the 5er.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I was thinking about a bike mount above the propane tanks, Does anyone have pictures of their NT with a setup like this?

Geoman

I saw the Arvika and also the 1up USA roof rack tray. The arvika seems to mount high over the propane tanks where the 1up USA may be able to be mounted lower if you have enough room.

CeeCee

Mike & Joanna,

I also have a 2012 Ford F250 & am looking into the Bodiak hitch for the front of our truck. I have a Thuele 3 Bike Rack. I was wondering do the bikes obstruct your vision ?? Thanks, Cyndi

mlburst1

Mike & Joanna,

I also have a 2012 Ford F250 & am looking into the Bodiak hitch for the front of our truck. I have a Thuele 3 Bike Rack. I was wondering do the bikes obstruct your vision ?? Thanks, Cyndi

Hi Cyndi,

The receiver is at the same level as the tow hooks so the bike handle bars are just about level with the front edge of the hood - no obstruction.

Mike

caissiel

Installed a front receiver for a bike rack when towing my car behind the trailer.
Went 50 miles and never placed the bikes there again.
On the 98 GM 4 x 4 it caused all kinds of turbulence and the steering was affected, and to tiring for me.
Installed the rack behind the truck and removed the seats and handlebars for 4 years when towing the car. Can't do that with the BC cause the space is not there between the BC and the truck.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

CeeCee

Laurent - Did you have your bikes covered & that is why you had so much wind problem?? I haven't heard anyone having that problem with them in the front. So wondering if that is an issue even if you don't have a cover on the bikes? Thanks, Cyndi

caissiel

No it was the shaking back and fort. I would correct right and the bikes would go left and so on and I felt it on the steering wheel. The tube to receiver could not be tight enough and the bikes make lousy wind deflectors and vibrated.
I carry a 16 tandum kayak hitched to the front and rear of cab and it never moves and I never feel its there. It floats in the wind.
But I build a 2 point receiver at the bumper area and a single pole rack to reach above the cab to support the kayak front.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk