Blew the turbo

Grdsman

We were heading up Wilkerson Pass in Colorado on our way to Buena Vista and blew the turbo on the truck in my sig. I was luckily able to limp it back down the hill and park the camper in Taryall so we can at least do a little camping this weekend. Got the truck towed to the dealer this morning to get worked on. I may have an extended camping trip if the truck doesn't get fixed by Monday afternoon! Luckily I'm under extended warranty....

jpdoggett

Been there and done that we where starting into the Flint Hills of Kansas and mine exploded we did go unto Kansas City at 45 mph then to the dealer he had to get the ok from ford before he could fix it

Good luck

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Sorry to hear about your turbo problem. Hope you get it repaired and back on the road again.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask a few questions about the turbo. I have a 2006 F250 Turbo Diesel. I was just wondering under what conditions you were in when the turbo blew.
Were you pulling on level ground or climbing? We are in Raton Pass NM and we had some brake problems which we were blessed in not having the brakes go while we were pulling or going down the pass. 6% grade going north is a long way to go without brakes.

BC

jpdoggett

Sorry to hear about your turbo problem. Hope you get it repaired and back on the road again.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask a few questions about the turbo. I have a 2006 F250 Turbo Diesel. I was just wondering under what conditions you were in when the turbo blew.
Were you pulling on level ground or climbing? We are in Raton Pass NM and we had some brake problems which we were blessed in not having the brakes go while we were pulling or going down the pass. 6% grade going north is a long way to go without brakes.

BC
On mine we where on our way back from Colorado and stopped in Abilen Kansas to fuel up pull out and started up into the Flint Hills maybe 6% maybe more I don't know

skyguy

Hiway 24 out of Colorado Springs is a hard and hot pull up to Wilkerson Pass. I keep a close eye on the tranny temp, and the exhaust temp (turbo), and just take it easy...
We're staying at the Valley Mobile RV park through Labor Day, but only visit on weekends, since we work in Colorado Springs.
Good luck with your truck!

Al S.

jpajax

I was told by sever mechanic's that you MUST let the turbo cool down and give it time to slow down in rpm.. Because when you turn the motor off the oil is no longer going to the barrings in the turbo which to only way it has too cool and lubricate the barrings. That is the biggest killer of the turbo is running it under a hard pull at low motor rpm that creates heat build up and turning off the motor to soon.. One of the most important gauges on a diesel with a turbo is a egt gauge not hard to install if your truck doesn't have one. This part rotates several several rpm up too 24,000 and runs at between 1250* to 1500* normal temp. the cooler the better. So stay cool and give it time to reset and slow down for a longer turbo and your own life.

beardedone

Beardedone
Jim is very correct and it applies to any truck brand. Idle for at least 3 minutes and more if your truck had been working hard before stopping. I usually idle mine for 5 minutes just to be sure.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have never been able to get a good answer on this. What is the max EGT for a 5.9 24v Cummins turbo without doing damage? I have an EGT gauge and try to keep it under about 1200 at all times.
My last Ford said 1350 was the majic number.

PUG

Pug
Always idle the engine after a hard pull and get temp of turbo down to arond 450 degrees. Same thing starting out let things warm up slowly. 1250 degrees is safe with your horse. Brief periods over that are ok but not prolonged use.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have never been able to get a good answer on this. What is the max EGT for a 5.9 24v Cummins turbo without doing damage? I have an EGT gauge and try to keep it under about 1200 at all times.
My last Ford said 1350 was the majic number.

Thats a pretty standard number for all EGT anything over that and you'll start melting stuff. I run a DURAMAX but when I installed my edge performance system it had a set of generic instructions that were not vehicle specific and 1350 was what they warn against. I have an alarm that I set to go off at 1220 degrees and have never had a problem. I pull tractors and backhoe often and set the alarm off pretty regular in the hills. I chose 1220 because that is the melting point of pure aluminum. JMHO.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I flew commercial aircraft (jet) for years and the temp thing is VERY important. In the aviation world it is called "peak soak temperature" and all jet engines run 2 minutes at idle to cool the internal parts before fuel is cut off. Temperature moves inwards and heats bearings and internal parts and if shut down before it is cooled causes caking of bearings and moving parts. Cool down is VERY important. My take on egt is 1200+ is pushing it but 1400 for a few seconds or so won't kill it. I went up a 8% grade near the Oregon coast and it lasted about 3 miles and I started from a dead stop. My egt went to about 1400 and my trans temp hit about 210......wow was I worried!!!!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Hasty! I am retired military also. I was in the 1st Aviation Brigade in I Corps Vietnam (282nd alleycats and then the 48th jokers). I spent about 2 1/2 years in Vietnam and 26 years in the military. I retired a CW4P but decided to turn down CW5 and get on with life.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Hasty! I am retired military also. I was in the 1st Aviation Brigade in I Corps Vietnam (282nd alleycats and then the 48th jokers). I spent about 2 1/2 years in Vietnam and 26 years in the military. I retired a CW4P but decided to turn down CW5 and get on with life.

23 years myself, had to have some spine surgery after last tour in Iraq. After that there was a combination of fighting the med review board, new cmdr and cheif, overturn of the don't ask/don't tell and CSM and myself didn't see eye to eye. It was time for me to retire and as you say Chief get on with my life. :)

Delaine and Lindy

Sorry about you Trubo prolems, we will be going to Buena Vista on 22 Aug for a week. I believe the Turbo problem is 1. running to hot of egr numbers 2. not letting the Power plant run after pulling. I always let my Duramax run depending on how hard the pull was, normally 3 to 5 minutes.. Seems to be a lot of Retired Vietnam Vets pulling RV's, Thank you Vietnam vets for your service to our Country... Freedom is not Free, if you don't believe that walk thru Arlington Cementary. RIP Warrior Brothers...

jpajax

Would like to know were the post I made between post #9 and #10 went; not that it will have anything to do with the outcome of the thread. But it seems that if you take the time to reply, the viewers should have the right to dismiss it or not. The post showed up on my past record of posts but not on the forum.

jimtoo

Would like to know were the post I made between post #9 and #10 went; not that it will have anything to do with the outcome of the thread. But it seems that if you take the time to reply, the viewers should have the right to dismiss it or not. The post showed up on my past record of posts but not on the forum.

I just checked back,, you made a post at #7 this thread,,, then later you made 2 post to this thread. Nothing has been erased or deleted from this thread.

Jim M

jpajax

OOPS got all wound up in turbos got dizzy. Was in post called max egt for 24 value. Just another senior moment, that seems to be happening more and more here lately. Thanks Jimtoo from Jimthree or is it four.

jimtoo

OOPS got all wound up in turbos got dizzy. Was in post called max egt for 24 value. Just another senior moment, that seems to be happening more and more here lately. Thanks Jimtoo from Jimthree or is it four.

You should never admit to a senior moment,,, your wife (girlfriend) might be reading also... Could get real expensive...new coats.. new car.. new carpets...stuff you forgot you promised her...!!!! She says!!

:)

mountain1

Just had to have my fuel pump replaced with 36 miles remaining on my Ford warranty. Reading this about turbos realy means I need to find an extended warranty. Any thoughts on good ones and price/ Maybe just through Ford?
Did buy one of those thermometers to check tire heat. My truck and trailer tires were 20 degrees hotter than the outside temps. after pulling three hours at 62 miles per hour.