Brakes

Hercules

I was having difficulties with my unit breaking. My dealership found that the bearings were over packed at the Dexter factory and grease was all over the brake pads. Dexter authorized replacement/repairs. After some driving around town the trailer is breaking better but still below par. I plan to take a short trip here soon (flat terrain) and see if they improve.

Mouse

Last year when we bought, the brakes were an issue. The install of the 7 pin connector in the bed is anything but elegant = splice the lines with crimped connectors. Definitely not a varsity job, You'd think there would be a wiring harness adaptor. Well, one of the box type fuses in the truck blew resulting in zero voltage to the brakes. No indication of the fault on the IBC. With the new fuse, braking improved, but was definitely not great.

I took my Sundance to the dealer today for a couple of punch list items prior to the end of the 1 yr bumper to bumper and to address my concerns about the brakes. The tech first addressed my TV - a 2005 F250 with tow command IBC. He hooked a device to each of the 7 pin connectors to test the voltage. With the vehicle in park, he activated the brakes with both the brake pedal the the manual level on the brake controller. In both cases the device indicated only 3 VDC! No indication of this fault on the IBC! His conclusion is that something was wrong with the truck.

The truck's at the ford dealer now for troubleshooting. 5 yrs with the TT and no problems. One year with the 5er and only problems.

Comments and observation appreciated.

lwmcguir

I was reading the Hensley information I found and one change noted to improve their system was upsize the feed wire to the brakes to #10 wire to reduce voltage loss and increase current to the individual magnet wires. That's a thought.

This makes sense and we have always done so on our installs. Now I am curious to see what size wire our latest F350 has as the brakes have to be set higher than on the F550 to get the same stopping effect. (and to slide the brakes on the gravel road which is our age old brake test for all the trailers)

Willym

Last year when we bought, the brakes were an issue. The install of the 7 pin connector in the bed is anything but elegant = splice the lines with crimped connectors. Definitely not a varsity job, You'd think there would be a wiring harness adaptor. Well, one of the box type fuses in the truck blew resulting in zero voltage to the brakes. No indication of the fault on the IBC. With the new fuse, braking improved, but was definitely not great.

I took my Sundance to the dealer today for a couple of punch list items prior to the end of the 1 yr bumper to bumper and to address my concerns about the brakes. The tech first addressed my TV - a 2005 F250 with tow command IBC. He hooked a device to each of the 7 pin connectors to test the voltage. With the vehicle in park, he activated the brakes with both the brake pedal the the manual level on the brake controller. In both cases the device indicated only 3 VDC! No indication of this fault on the IBC! His conclusion is that something was wrong with the truck.

The truck's at the ford dealer now for troubleshooting. 5 yrs with the TT and no problems. One year with the 5er and only problems.

I know that the Ford IBC output is reduced at lower speeds for earlier models - less than 15mph IIRC. Pressing the brake pedal with the vehicle at rest will result in a low output and may also apply to manual activation. I'm not sure if Ford has changed this for later models.

A voltmeter on the braking circuit of my 2011 Ford Super Duty shows 12 volts standing still with manual application of the integral brake controller. Applying the truck brakes with the trailer connected at 20 mph also shows 12 volts delivered to the trailer braking circuit.

Mouse

Well, the truck operates as designed. If your build date is prior to Mar 2005, 3 vdc with the vehicle at rest is normal. The IBC will not provide 12 vdc until the vehicle is in motion (1-2 mph).

I asked whether the brakes should lock up. The tepid answer was yes, in most cases at slow speed with a full 12vdc going to the trailer, the brakes should lock up.

What do you wanna bet that the dealership tells be the trailer brakes are just fine? If that's the case than the brakes on my trailer are inadequate.

Mouse

lwmcguir

A voltmeter on the braking circuit of my 2011 Ford Super Duty shows 12 volts standing still with manual application of the integral brake controller. Applying the truck brakes with the trailer connected at 20 mph also shows 12 volts delivered to the trailer braking circuit.

As does mine.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Getting anyone to sign that I am afraid is going to be like pulling teeth out of chickens.

TedS

That waiver doesn't mean anything, IMO. It agrees that all suppliers and vendors have performed to standards and the owner, who has accepted the product, denies any resposibility for subsequent injury. Nobody has responsibility. It may be a feel good document but I don't think it will fly in the event of injury. Two choices: accept the product or refuse the product.

I had an interesting conversation with a guy at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) named George Soodoo. He provided me with some valuable information, including verification that there is no federal standard for trailer braking systems unless they are air brakes.

George did indicate that the NHTSA has recently met with the National Association of Trailer Manufacturers, and they did discuss braking systems, but he provided little addional information, and little hope that a federal standard will be established for electric or hydraulic (surge) brakes on trailers. He did say that if I had information that would be helpful to the NHTSA in establishing the need for a standard that I could forward that information to him at the following address:

george.soodoo@dot.gov

I plan to forward him a link to this thread, but if any of you have first-hand experience where inadequate trailer braking has resulted in either an accident or a close call, please submit an account of the incident to George.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have had a couple instances where my trailer brakes felt less than adequate. If increasing the gain on my Prodigy didn't help, I would then adjust the brakes. Right off hand, I don't remember where my controllers setting is at right now but my trailer brakes work just fine. I might add, they are bone stock 2" X 12" shoe brakes.
I also drive like I'm pulling 15,000 pounds down the road. I drive using as much caution as I can and read the road and traffic conditions accordingly.
I don't and never will rely on any government regulation to protect me or my family.

jimtoo

If any legal advice is given or ask for, or legal action advised,,, this thread will be deleted. I think it has already gone over the line.

Jim M

Hercules

I hope this thread does not go away because there are some some good posts on potential remedies here. I do not think you should panic when some of the discussion goes towards safety discussions. I assume this forum is for people to use in helping each other and also an avenue for Heartland to assist in some situations. If you are concerned with the waiver situation, I believe the suggestion was given as a minor form of sarcasm. I am confident that Heartland is a reputable company and builds their units to comply with all laws and regulations. I am not aware of anyone wanting to file suit and do not know of any attorney that would give free advice on a public forum such as this other than to suggest getting an attorney.

porthole

Retired
The install of the 7 pin connector in the bed is anything but elegant = splice the lines with crimped connectors. Definitely not a varsity job, You'd think there would be a wiring harness adaptor.

The typical way to install the 7 pin connector is with a jumper harness.
There is no reason to cut/crimp existing wires in a modern vehicle. Jumper harnesses are made for just about every vehicle and definitely for all 3 of the big 3 pickups.

If any legal advice is given or ask for, or legal action advised,,, this thread will be deleted. I think it has already gone over the line.

Here we go again, lets not get too heavy handed.

Jim M
I agree. The last thing we want on this forum is for someone to express an objective negative opinion!

The dealer turned me over to Lippert, and they suggested that I take the trailer back to the dealer for brake work! I said that it had been at the dealer for 34 days and that the dealer had done all they could. Lippert took some information and I have not heard from them for over a month. Sounds like I am on my own.

Lippert assigned a claim number for my issue on 5/7/2011. It is now 9/1/2011, and I have not heard from them. Apparently they too recognize the futility of making thier brakes function effectively.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lippert assigned a claim number for my issue on 5/7/2011. It is now 9/1/2011, and I have not heard from them. Apparently they too recognize the futility of making thier brakes function effectively.
I would call Lippert with your claim number in hand. Ask about the status of the claim. I'm guessing if they gave you a claim number, it was their intent to do something.

wdk450

Gang:
It seems to me that I saw some postings on the Forum here with names of service supervisors to call at Lippert when you have unresolved problems. Try doing a search on the subject, or maybe somebody will jump in with this info.