Break away cable melted?

Kblock108

I installed a new coiled break away cable. I noticed the old one was stuck and hard to pull out. Finally got it out and noticed the center had a little burn mark on it. Threw in the new one, 5 seconds later smoke and half of it falls out...anyone know what's up with this? For what it's worth, trailer is on a 50 and the batteries are off
e9e3yneb.jpg

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
The Brakes are wired in before the Battery Shut off so you will always have power to your brakes even if the Battery switch is Off. Also If I recall correctly that is a 20 or 30 Amp auto reset breaker that is attached to that line so there is quite a bit of current on that line. I would suggest that while you are parked that you disconnect the neg side of the battery to prevent the brakes from being on "hard" if there is power on then due to the switch failure.

And of course do not tow the trailer until this is corrected. or with the battery disconnected since you will not have brakes on the trailer without a connected battery.

Kevin

Kblock108

I am hoping the switch is the answer, went ahead and bought two. Hoping its not anything else...I have my batteries shut off and the 50 amp plugged in. Thanks guys for the insight, gonna wire it up tonight. The one I have on the trailer now has color coded wires, the new one has all black. Does it matter which wires goes to what? Forgive the dumb question, I can do a lot...electrical is not one!

nilsonjw

When that happen did you lose battery power? Our safety cable broke locked wheel and now no battery power??

jimtoo

If your break away cable pulled the pin and locked your brakes then it will discharge the battery. You need to put the pin back in to turn off the power to the brakes then recharge the battery.

priorguy

I have one exactly like that after my toddler pulled the pin last weekend. But not too worried as the trailer is currently parked but I need to fix it before I pull it again. I'd like one that isn't plastic next time as the unit heats up really fast with all the current flowing through it. It seems to be a throw away part now. The one on my last tent trailer at least had a metal plug so you could insert it to stop the current flow and shut off the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: