Broken leaf spring hanger 2015 Cycclone 4200

Abest

I have a 2015 cyclone 4200 Tri-axle that has a broken rear leaf spring hanger on the right rear. It has broken completely off the frame. I am trying to find out if this is a common occurrence.

Attachments

• Spring hanger.JPG
    Spring hanger.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 162
  • spring hanger 2.JPG
    spring hanger 2.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 156

richheck

Seasoned Member
Is not that uncommon of an occurrence, have been told it can be caused by backing up over curbs or other obstacles while traveling too fast. The springs and shackles are designed to give in forward motion only being the shackle allows for the necessary movement for the springs to flex. When going in reverse, this feature is nullified being the shackle is not following the spring but leading.

Usually ends up with broken springs but I have heard of hangers bending etc.

Last edited:

danemayer

Hangars breaking off the frame? Working from memory, over the past 6 years I think I could count on one hand the number of posts, and maybe not use all my fingers.

OEFVET

I have not experienced your problem and I too have a 2015 4200 Cyclone. IMHO it is a poorly welded bracket. Especially after viewing your photos.

Abest

I have not experienced your problem and I too have a 2015 4200 Cyclone. IMHO it is a poorly welded bracket. Especially after viewing your photos.

Its still welded to the frame. It is a 3 sided bracket and both sides snapped off at the 90 degree bends

OEFVET

Yes but if welded properly the bracket would not have broken off so clean. The clean break makes me believe the bracket wasn't fabricated and welded correctly. Possibly prior to welding to chassis. Still MHO

HornedToad

I have a 2015 cyclone 4200 Tri-axle that has a broken rear leaf spring hanger on the right rear. It has broken completely off the frame. I am trying to find out if this is a common occurrence.

Probably more common if you're pulling a 20,000 lb GVW triple axle toyhauler.

29dff24e366ec41cbe1a3be3de4d5a63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OEFVET

I've got 18,000 miles on my 2015 4200 Cyclone. So far no issues in regards to springs or chassis. As Dan stated earlier, it's not a common occurrence. I suspect either a defective weld or significant impact such as the high curb backwards as stated by richheck. I will admit I try to avoid curbs and sharp turns.

ram_1955

Is not that uncommon of an occurrence, have been told it can be caused by backing up over curbs or other obstacles while traveling too fast. The springs and shackles are designed to give in forward motion only being the shackle allows for the necessary movement for the springs to flex. When going in reverse, this feature is nullified being the shackle is not following the spring but leading.

Usually ends up with broken springs but I have heard of hangers bending etc.

If it is due to backing why wouldn't the front hanger break as it is solid and leading the spring?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My .02 cents
I think its from a combination of poor design and lots of u-turns and twisting side to side on windy roads. I had the same thing happen on my 2 axle toy-hauler after traveling up Hwy 1 on the Ca coast.
Clean it up, make a new hanger, weld it on and beef up the rest of them while you at it. weld in a cross support inside each one of them. Then you won't have to worry about them anymore.

richheck

Seasoned Member
If it is due to backing why wouldn't the front hanger break as it is solid and leading the spring?

Weakest link will usually break first, OP just wanted to know if problem was common.

As Jerrod suggests, weld it up and re support as suggested - could have been just a bad weld but it needs to addressed.

Abest

Thanks for all the insight. I'm just a little baffled because I have had the trailer for 2 1/2 years and 15-20K miles. I put Carlisle tires on it the week I bought it. the tires still have about 50% of their tread with no sidewall or wheel damage evident. Luckily I backed the trailer in the shop where I keep it with plans to check the brakes. When we jacked it up we discovered the issue. It appears due to rust that one side of the bracket was cracked for awhile and the other side is clean. The plan is to re weld and reinforce the bracket. I was just trying to find out if this was a freak occurrence so I knew whether to go to the expense of reinforcing the balance of the brackets.

danemayer

I'd have all the hangars closely inspected. If there was a materials defect, or a bad weld, it could affect more than one hangar.

HornedToad

Yes it was the right rear hanger. And yes I noticed it after I had slowly back over a driveway apron, like maybe 3 inches, not a full curb. And if you look at the rust, it was probably already cracked and the backing bump finished it off.

My plans for the off season are to get it back to the frame shop that fixed the hanger and have them install a heavy duty shackle kit with wet bolts and weld square tubing in the hangers.

Good luck with your repairs and safe travels!!!

c4393396087b50438ea092e61dad1716.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abest

Thank you for sharing. My welder last night boxed the open sides of the bracket. He comment that he felt they were excessively long especially for how they were made.

Attachments

• Spring 2.jpg
    Spring 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 58