Buying new tow vehicle, question is which rear end to get.

EPaulikonis

You really need to look at Ford's Towing Tables if you want to know that 3.73 get in all the different configurations. The 2016 RV & trailer towing guide for Super Duty, F-350 4X2 SRW Regular Chassis Cab config shows a GCWR of 23,500 with a max trailer wt of 16,200 on 3.73 gears. Only way to get into the 20K range is to go DRW.

beck-mark

well ordered the F350 with the high capacity towing package. I know the 4.30 gears are overkill for anything ill ever own but the wide track front end sold it for me. From talking with several folks that have them the fuel mileage wont be much different if any than my old 2001 with the 3.73 gears. It will be a few weeks but when it comes in and I get a few miles on it ill repost and let yall know.

beck-mark

Well as promised I would report back how it went. New truck finally arrived about 2 weeks ago and spent first week getting the break in miles on it even though I really don't believe its needed before towing. did a short camping trip this past week to try out new truck and to get a warranty issue on Elkridge taken care of. I am very pleased with decision to go with the High capacity towing package. I was a bit leery of the 4.30 rear end but so far fuel mileage done with pencil and paper and not computer is comparable to my 2001 F250 so those worries were irrelevant. The wide track front end, all I can say is WOW, I can actually do a U-turn without backing up in this truck that is 2 feet longer than my old truck and hated having to turn around with because it always meant backing up. I can maneuver around in much tighter areas with camper with ease. My wife even commented how well it maneuvered compared to the past. If anyone is on the fence like I was on this decision do not let the fuel mileage doomsday folks talk you out of it. you will love it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well as promised I would report back how it went. New truck finally arrived about 2 weeks ago and spent first week getting the break in miles on it even though I really don't believe its needed before towing. did a short camping trip this past week to try out new truck and to get a warranty issue on Elkridge taken care of. I am very pleased with decision to go with the High capacity towing package. I was a bit leery of the 4.30 rear end but so far fuel mileage done with pencil and paper and not computer is comparable to my 2001 F250 so those worries were irrelevant. The wide track front end, all I can say is WOW, I can actually do a U-turn without backing up in this truck that is 2 feet longer than my old truck and hated having to turn around with because it always meant backing up. I can maneuver around in much tighter areas with camper with ease. My wife even commented how well it maneuvered compared to the past. If anyone is on the fence like I was on this decision do not let the fuel mileage doomsday folks talk you out of it. you will love it.

Pictures or it didn't happen! :cool:

beck-mark

So far I cant figure this dang picture thing out. As far as fuel mileage Bones, im only on my 3rd tank of fuel now and part of the 2nd included some towing and part of the one im on now some towing. The first tank that was filled at dealership I got 13.7 on the second that I filled I got 15.9. the computer has shown everything from 11 to 17 lol, I only trust the pencil and paper method.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope this works, this is pic when I picked up at dealer.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 71

Bones

So far I cant figure this dang picture thing out. As far as fuel mileage Bones, im only on my 3rd tank of fuel now and part of the 2nd included some towing and part of the one im on now some towing. The first tank that was filled at dealership I got 13.7 on the second that I filled I got 15.9. the computer has shown everything from 11 to 17 lol, I only trust the pencil and paper method.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good. I average 13.9 around here and 9-11 towing. Those are pencil and paper mileage calculations

mcolson84

That thing looks nice!! I am sure you will like it. I loved mine! Mine was a one ton single wheel. It averaged 19 mpg on one trip to Carlsbad one time, the rest of the time it was about 17 ( also pencil and paper). I averaged about 7-9 towing through the mountains around here. The 6.7 does pull good! Enjoy!

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

- - - Updated - - -

Yup!

Love the color!

Looks pretty sweet . . .

I have the 4.10 rear end in my 2015 Chevy . . . it is a trailer hauling beast!

ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg