Bypass Phoenix?

RobP

We are in Benson Arizona off I-10 headed for Southern California. My question is, has anyone taken the bypass around Phoenix. According to my map it looks like you take I-8 to 85. Just curious about the road conditions. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mrsfish

A bunch of us did this by pass at our last rally ( 3 weeks ago). Absolutely a great bypass. Road was great and traffic was at a minimum. Safe travels

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Remember to follow the signs when you get off I 8,,,,and head to 85, my garmin wanted me to turn left at the intersection, but the sign show RIGHT...Take the RIGHT..Very easy bi pass and will take a lot of time and traffic off your drive...Safe Travels.

RobP

Thank you very much! I fell better now about taking the bypass. I DID NOT want to go through Phoenix!! :p
Appreciate the info everybody! I will make sure to watch for that right turn Doublegranch!

Mrsfish

Thank you very much! I fell better now about taking the bypass. I DID NOT want to go through Phoenix!! :p
Appreciate the info everybody! I will make sure to watch for that right turn Doublegranch!
L
You're welcome. Nobody wants to drive through Phoenix! Sorry my valley friends but you know it's true😊

scottyb

Hey Rob, where are you staying in Benson? I agree. The bypass is great. We will be using it again on the way to Parker, AZ in Apr. Too bad we can't use it coming back from Moab on the way to Chandler, two weeks later.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I DID NOT want to go through Phoenix!! :p

We came from the north on our way to the rally in Quartzsite and thought about taking the bypass (a different one) around Phoenix . . .

But are we ever glad we didn't as we had a mechanical failure on our trailer while passing through Phoenix!

I hate to think what the outcome would have been had we not have been in the big city when this happened . . .

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are in Benson Arizona off I-10 headed for Southern California. My question is, has anyone taken the bypass around Phoenix. According to my map it looks like you take I-8 to 85. Just curious about the road conditions. Any help would be much appreciated.

Just curious where you are going in Southern California?

From Benson, you can stay on I-8 west and go north on 86 in El Centro to I-10 west in Indio. Then continue west on I-10 to Inland Empire, OC, or LA.

Or stay on I-8 west all the way to San Diego, then take I-5 to points north. Trace

Lynn1130

Just stay alert on 85. Much of it is 2 lane and trucks also use the "by pass" route which then causes fools to make dangerous passes around them. Keep your eyes open. I used to travel that route often to Rocky Point and to Ajo when my mother lived there. Just keep your eyes open. It is a lot less nerve racking than I-10 anytime.

You don't say where is SoCal you are going but I-8 goes there too. Depending upon where you want to end up.

RobP

Hey everybody! We arrived safely yesterday in Apple Valley! The bypass worked great!! Thank you all for the info!
Doublegranch you were right GPS wanted a left turn but I made the right turn! Thanks for the heads up!

scottyb we stayed at Cochise Rv Resort that sits up on top of the hill. Very nice place!