Campground Power Testing

jimtoo

OK!!!! ENOUGH!!!! :D You have convinced me!!!! I am buying a Surge Protector now. Let's see,,,, another 5 lbs added to trailer...:( got to discard something..:(. NO WAY am I leaving my Margarita blender out.:D. I know... I will throw out some of the DW's clothes.:eek: or shoes :rolleyes:.

Yea...Right... open billfold... get out credit card... make phone call,,, order surge protector...tell DW that You Love HerNone and that you were not really going to do that...and pray.

creeper

Hi Crepper,
Do you check the power before hooking up or feel with the surge guard, there's no need to..

I just use the surge guard. It does the tests and if there is low or high voltage it shuts off , until the power is correct.

My 30 also has test lights on it. One green and one red and wiring is correct. Anything else and I don't hook up the shore line.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We don't have the autoformer, but we do have the 50a SurgeGuard.
Just a little of what I have learned. This pertains only to the portable SurgeGuard.

We had a 30a SOB trailer and use a 30a SurgeGuard. This one is pretty inexpensive.

With our Bighorn I went out and purchased the 50a SurgeGuard. It is pretty expensive but I believe worth the money when you concider all the things it is protecting. The portable one does not give me a lot of information about what is happening, but it does protect your RV.

If you have to connect to a 30a power you can use the 50-30a adaptor and still use the 50a SurgeGuard.

One thing I did have to get. A 50a 18" extension to connect the SurgeGuard to the shore power. Some of the panels are not compatible with the body of the SurgeGuard. If they would make the the distance from the plug to the body about 4" longer it would work at most places.

50amp Portable
http://www.tweetys.com/portablesurgeguard120-240v50a50amp.aspx2

18" Extemder
http://store.weekendwarriorgear.com/revepogrex50.html

The built in version would be nice so someone could not lift it but I did not want to do surgery on the trailer..

ct0218

I have the slideout tray in the basement, so with it out there was easy access to the wiring. I had plenty of wire so I pulled it into the basement to do the cut and plug attachment. Took about 15 minutes total, and a surge guard or autoformer can be installed there safe from theft. If you sell the coach, just unplug the hardware and reconnect the powerline. Mine looks like it came that way from the factory.

Peteandsharon

I had the exact same experience with the 50a SurgeGuard. It's almost a given that if you buy the SurgeGuard you had better go ahead and buy the 18" extention. Otherwise you will find too many situations where the SurgeGuard does not plug in correctly due to the short pigtail at the top of the unit.

vrugt

Smart Surge

I use the Progressive Industries Smart Surge 50 Amp (S708-552757). I found it on the internet for $107.87 plus $10 S&H.

This rather inexpensive unit also checks polarity etc.
The tail is long enough for all hook-ups I have encountered.

By the way that Autoformer sounds a little like a bottle of snakeoil to me...

hillsonwheels

Sure do wish you folks would slow down and speak english to those of us who don't speak "electrical"! :eek: Had one of those autoformer things in my hand at Camping World yesterday.

Went looking because of what a fellow camper told me in Naples, FL, last week. But...$633...:eek::eek: for something that went off line when the voltage dropped below 112V didn't make sense to me. :confused:

What am I missing here? I know low voltage is an enemy but from what I quickly read in the store I didn't think it was worth the investment. So I put it back.

Can anyone 'splain why I should have one in plain english?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Low voltage will damage your electrical systems and appliances as well as too high a voltage. I lost a microwave, a converter, TV, clock radio and central vacuum due to voltage problems. The microwave/convection oven alone costs $825.00, the converter is around $300, so you do the math. Luckily insurance paid for the damage but the point is why risk it. Not only that but you can move it to your next rig if you change out RV so they last many years. The higher dollar autotransformers will protect against high voltage, low voltage, loss of ground, being out of phase, voltage spikes and pedestals that may be wired wrong. Just remember when you plug that cord in you are at the mercy of the the person who wired the pedestal. That person may or may not have known what they were doing. I have seen the 50 amp plug be wired as if they are 220volts instead of 110 volts. Plug into that without protection and you will fry you whole coach. Hope this helps.....

Last edited:

jmgratz

Incidently I use one made by Progressive Industries. They make a great product, reasonably priced, and they stand behind it. You can buy their product at RV shows or online. www. progressiveindustries.com

hillsonwheels

Jim,

Thanks for the lesson! Guess I'm heading back to Camper's World to further investigate the autoformer. :eek: I thought I understood the basics of the device but the price spooked me. Guess an RV is a hole in the air surrounded by wood, fiberglass, aluminum, etc......into which one pours money! :eek: Glad I don't own a boat too! :D

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I built one---pretty cool

Well I went ahead and built one. Hope to check it out soon. I still need to get a volt meter. Used to have one but I gave it away. Darn, now I will have to get another one. Oh well.

Attachments

• 100_0117.JPG
    100_0117.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0118.JPG
    100_0118.JPG
    445.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_0119.JPG
    100_0119.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 62

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I had a 50A surge protector installed when the BH came in and before we did the PDI. The tech installed it behind the vent in the aft of the basement so I can see it just by looking through the vent holes. It does seem to take a few seconds to do its thing and then allow the elecricity to go to the converter so the 12V lights get brighter after it is finished.
It is the Surge Guard model 34560 and works with either 30A or 50A. It was a little pricy including the cost of installation but the tech also connected our generator to it but we don't have any worries with that either.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I use a GFCI tester before plugging in. I recently bought a surgeguard protector and feel that it is enough. It doesn't take long for a voltage spike or low voltage to damage or destroy everything electrical in a trailer.

RnRCycloner

I purchased the EMS-PT50C by Progressive Industries.. I got it at Tweety's, seemed to be the best price $348.77... I still plan to test before hooking up, maybe overkill, but what ever makes you more comfortable..

lhetsler

Electrical Management System

I just bought a 50 amp EMS PT50C from Progressive Industries and used it for the first time this past 10 days as we were camping in Charleston. It was great to plug it in and it checks everything amperage, voltage, ground, polarity and frequency. It was great to plug in and know I didn't have to worry. After it reads everything it gives you the okay status and after 136 seconds connects power to the RV. It continuously monitors your hookup and rotates through the amps drawn, voltage and frequency on both lines. It protects for a surge up to 3560 joules. It brings peace of mind in todays RVs that have complex electrical systems.

talley

OK, I've read enough... I recognize good advice and have ordered the Progressive EMSHW50C. UPS delivery due tomorrow. Have plenty of time to install before trip to Goshen. Have a new set of Goodyear 614's and am tuning up the Pressure Pro system. Hopefully all the precautions will make for a great time. (crossed fingers)None

jmgratz

I have talked to one of the Progressive Industries owners at the Rally here in Albuquerque today. Told him how great their product is and how we appreciate their standing behind what they sell. They do have a new product which will plug into a 50 amp outlet and then give you two 50 amp outlets. Looks like that could be hand to have if you need an extra outlet at the house for visitors.