Campground Power Testing

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had my dealer install the Progressive unit in mine before I took delivery. With the remote read-out, you get a continuous display of the two line voltages and the current being drawn on both. The LED read-out shows through the smoked glass of the switch center in the kitchen. Nice peace of mind.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
is 355$ a good price for a Progressive EMSHW50C? and do yall recommend it? thanks

Tweety's has it for $349.88 (plus S&H). I have one and like having the remote display where I can see it. Being hardwired into the coach, there's no worries about it growing feet.

slb714

Ok whenever you buy a 50amp protector how does that work whenever you hook up to 30 amp service?

SmokeyBare

When you use a 50 Amp Surge Protector... but are only connected to a 30 Amp Outlet on the Campground post... The Surge Protector Still checks the Circuits for any type of fault... it Still measures for Low or High Voltage... It's designed to protect the RV... no matter what your plugged into.

Main difference between 50 Amp and 30 Amp... is the "Flow" of electricity that would be available for the appliances. The 50 Amp connection and it's protecting breaker can allow more electricity to flow through the power cord because it flows the power through 2 different wires... to what ever is demanding power... up to a safe 50 Amp usage. A 30 Amp connection has one less "Hot" wire... which is why you see one less blade that plugs into the Campground Electrical post. 30 Amp flows all of it's available power through only one Hot Wire.

A 50 Amp connection flows the power through 2 Hot Wires... Inside the Breaker box of the RV... the electricity is split between 2 sides of the box (top row and bottom row of breakers) with a 50 Amp System... each leg or... each Hot Wire... feeds each side of the Breakers...

Do a Google Search and you can read more about RV electricity. There are far better explanations than I have attempted to offer.

Marv