Can we add to the microwave outlet?

Tundra2084

Sorry if this is in the wrong area but not sure where it would go. We own a 2012 Sundance and the microwave has a dedicated outlet beside it. The outlet only has the one plug in for the microwave and we would like to make it a two if possible. We know this, as there is a breaker in the fuse box marked microwave. Question is can we add to it to make it a double outlet so we can plug a induction cook top into the same outlet? The unit we would like to use is 1300 watts and it would sit under the microwave on the stove top. This would be the best place to use the induction cooktop because of the vent and lack of space otherwise.
I thought I would ask before asking hubby to do a mod that could or shouldn't be done.
Dawn

pegmikef

It would depend on the amperage of the breaker and what else is on it. A twenty amp breaker wouldn't carrry the convection oven and the microwave (1500 watts) at the same time. Running them one at a time would be ok though.

RoadJunkie

The microwave has a dedicated circuit for a reason, it pretty much maximizes the allowable current on the circuit when it is being operated. Our home, for example, also has a dedicated circuits for heavy current loaded devices such as disposal, microwave, etc. If I were to make a modification I would probably insert a switch that would ensure only the microwave OR the inductive cook top could be operated at any given time, e.g., a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch. The hot lead power would only go to one receptacle at a time. This makes the mod a little more detailed, but safe. If you simply add another receptacle, I guarantee someone will forget and run both appliances at the same time and "trip" the breaker. At least the breaker should "trip".

Aspenwind

Happy Camper
Easiest and safest thing would probably be to just unplug the microwave to use the cooktop so only one can be in use at a time.

mbopp

I piggy-backed off the microwave outlet and added a surface mount box and outlet to the underside of the cabinet. Yeah, we realize you can't run the microwave & coffee maker at the same time but it's no big deal.

Seren

Easiest and safest thing would probably be to just unplug the microwave to use the cooktop so only one can be in use at a time.

Unplug the microwave?!? How would anyone be able to figure out what time it is? ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim.Allison

Drudge through this you will get it before the end.

You need to know all the watts of the appliances. You know the 1300 watts, but you don't know the watts of the microwave. Look in your papers for that specification or research it on the internet, most manufacturers publish the specifications on the net.

For the purposes of this reply, I will use 1500 watts for the microwave.

Volts X Amps = Watts soooo Watts / Volts = Amps, lets use your appliance 1 as 1300 watts and the appliance 2 the microwave guess at 1500 watts for a total of 2800 watts (1300 watts + 1500 watts = 2800 watts) then 2800 watts / 120volts = 23.3 amps to run both appliances.

If the breaker is not a 30 amp breaker you are out of luck in this scenario because a 20 amp breaker will not do the job. I do not recommend installing a larger breaker unless a qualified electrician does it. Because if the wire is not large enough to carry 30 amps, the wire becomes a fuse. The breaker will not trip but the wire will fry the insulation off and WILL cause a fire in your fiver.

So look at that dedicated microwave breaker to see what amperage it is, 30 amp? go for it. 20 amp? install the plug but know that if you run both appliances or it will trip the breaker. You don't have to worry about installing a switch to prevent using both at the same time, the breaker will trip if you accidently run both at the same time.

But do not install bigger breaker unless an certified electrician does it and even then I would be careful.

good luck, put hubby on the project and look over his shoulder to make sure he does it right. LOL.

BTW do the math but realize that each of those appliances vary in the number of watts they use, so you could have a 1500 watt microwave that has a startup of 1750 watts and the other appliance could have a start up of 1500 instead of 1300, if they surge at the same time you would be looking at a 3250 watts instead of 2800 watts. Im not saying this is the case, but you have to look at the max amps or watts that an appliance can draw. So look at those specifications closely.

Amps X Volts = Watts

*120v is the voltage of your system it is the constant in the formulas below

If watts are known then total watts / 120volts = Amps

If amps are known then total amps X 120volts = watts

Tell your hubby you can figure it out with Ohms Law! Ohms is not just a law it a good idea too.

Sorry if this is in the wrong area but not sure where it would go. We own a 2012 Sundance and the microwave has a dedicated outlet beside it. The outlet only has the one plug in for the microwave and we would like to make it a two if possible. We know this, as there is a breaker in the fuse box marked microwave. Question is can we add to it to make it a double outlet so we can plug a induction cook top into the same outlet? The unit we would like to use is 1300 watts and it would sit under the microwave on the stove top. This would be the best place to use the induction cooktop because of the vent and lack of space otherwise.
I thought I would ask before asking hubby to do a mod that could or shouldn't be done.
Dawn

Last edited:

Birchwood

I would investigate how difficult it would be to install a new circuit(line).I had to install one for my fireplace and was not that difficult.You have to have a free space on your fuse box even if its a 2nd A/C.

Miller0758

I would just make a mental note to use only one at a time. If, by chance, you use both simultaneously the breaker will trip and you will need to reset it. Not a big deal, that's what their function is. If you are going to require them at the same time, you'll need a dedicated circuit. So, yes, swap the outlet for a duplex and have at it.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Remember, circuit breakers are NOT designed to be constantly exercised.

Also remember that Circuit Breakers do not trip at the limit set on the breaker, they allow for some overage, for short periods of time ( 20 Amp breakers are "allowed" to go 2 minutes @ up to 27amp ) doing that over and over again will cause damage to the wiring. I will state for clarity that upper limit is the maximum allowed ( both for current and time ) by code that manufactures must adhere to, most MFG design and build breakers to a tighter standard than law allows.. but most do allow for over current situations for short periods of time...

Kevin

I don't see anywhere in the OP's post stating they wanted to run both appliances at the same time. So, yes you can change the plug to a duplex plug for ease of operation without having to unplug every time you want to use one or the other. Man, some peps make it sound like tripping a breaker is a sin, lol

caissiel

I had a 30amp setup in our previous unit and the hot water tank and microwave were on the same circuit.
A 3 way switch was used to select one at a time and worked well. It was positioned next to the microwave. The problem with this is the microwave clock is never set. But the microwave model had no clock and switch up was always the water tank off. Had to check often after meals.

Roller4tan

One of the fivers I used to have had the microwave and fireplace on the same circuit. There was a switch by the microwave that had to be used depending on what appliance you wanted. That was also a 30 amp 5th.