Can you use the slide room when it's in?

johnpsz

We are planning a long distance trip and at least a few nights we are planning to stay at either a truck stop or Wal-Mart to just sleep. Most "courteous" thing in those situations would be to not put the slide out, but could we still for example use the dinette, for breakfast? I have read through my instructions a couple times and haven't seen where you might be told not to, but wanted to check with you guys too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

brianharrison

We have slept in our unit with all slides in, and ate at the table with the slide partially out (to gain access to table).

All slides were in a couple of times because of severe winds whipping the awning toppers, and the noise preventing us from sleeping. Partial slides out (1/4 way) is while we are on the road to make lunches and eat inside.

Hope this helps.
Brian

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We use ours a lot with the slide-out in!

The only issue is that it is a tight squeeze to get through the bathroom door.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also on long cross country trips just pull over and sleep with the slides in. It's funny in that when we got up the following morning, finding ourselves with other truckers and campers who had also pulled in during the night. Once in Kansas tho we were visited by the police who informed us that we were not welcomed and to move on. Nice guy but.....

GOTTOYS

I wouldn't use the dinette if it's inside the slide. I don't like to put any weight on my slide floors when they aren't extended. All they are resting on are some rollers which in turn are resting on the vinyl floor. Seems like a good way to put dents in the floor among other things...Don

szewczyk_john

This is one of my pet peeves about a lot of units. Some are made so that you can not make use of certain areas unless the slide outs are open. I have seen kitchens completely blocked off, access to bedrooms or bathrooms blocked, some toy haulers where you can not get into the garage from inside the unit due to the access door being blocked. Because of the way we use our unit, this was part of our decision to not even look at units at shows and was a major factor in buying the unit we have. We have access to our entire unit except for he bedroom dresser and half the entertainment center cabinets. So I can stop and make flu use of my unit without having to open slide outs. This allows us to eat, sleep, use the restroom and take care of the boxers anywhere we stop for the night or just for a break.

donr827

I was told to do not step on the edge of the slide when they are. I guess, but not sure, that the edge of the slide has no support under it when in.............Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don, to clarify, at the corner of the slide floor there are some small plates screwed to the slide floor.
These plates support the little flap of carpet.
On my last rig those little plates were aluminum. I stepped on one and broke it out of the floor.
On our current rig those plates are not solid, but are flexible.
I think out would still be a problem of stepped on.
I would recommend avoiding the corners.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I wouldn't use the dinette if it's inside the slide. I don't like to put any weight on my slide floors when they aren't extended. All they are resting on are some rollers which in turn are resting on the vinyl floor. Seems like a good way to put dents in the floor among other things...Don

I would think that there is more support under the slide-out when it is in rather than when it is out, since it is not dangling over the ground on two geared yet unsupported beams or two cables.

Crumgater

Some are made so that you can not make use of certain areas unless the slide outs are open.

This is also one of my main considerations.
We park in the street in front of the house when we're packing and unpacking, so where the slides block (or don't block) access is a big selling point.
I, too, like to be able to make lunch and use the bathroom at a rest stop with the slides in. Access to the fridge and toilet with slides is a requirement.

I'm always careful of where I step, but we put a lot of weight on the slide-out rooms with furniture - some of which is original, heavy, stuff - so I see no reason to worry about using the room, as long as you're careful of the corners.

whp4262

My slide floors do not have any support on the front edge when they are in so I try not to step on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mizmary

I would think that there is more support under the slide-out when it is in rather than when it is out, since it is not dangling over the ground on two geared yet unsupported beams or two cables.

Maybe in some areas and some models. I destroyed a slide out once. Stepped on it wrong when it was in and the floor separated from the wall. Not this rig. But I'm extra careful now. Especially where we have removed factory furniture.