Carefree Awning help

Lou_and_Bette

I have the Carefree of Colorado Travel'R flat pitched power awning on my 2011 Road Warrior. It has an automatic dump feature that folds the front arm assembly to dump accumulated rain water from the flat pitched roof. Well, recently the dump feature failed to activate and the entire front arm, instead of folding and dumping water, collapsed breaking and bending multiple parts of the arm. Before you ask, there was no wind and only a gentle, steady rain...we were in the RV at the time. I contacted Carefree of Colorado and even sent them photos, per their request, only to be told they no longer manufacture that style arm (? poor design) and my only recourse was to replace both arms with the new "variable pitch arms" at a cost of +/- $700. Seems like a manufacturing defect but they offered no assistance nor would they sell the parts directly to me. Now, I usually don't slam the makers of products we have on these rigs, but I have to bite my tongue over Carefree's product and especially their customer service. Does anyone know of a salvage parts dealer that might have the part I need.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have the Carefree of Colorado Travel'R flat pitched power awning on my 2011 Road Warrior. It has an automatic dump feature that folds the front arm assembly to dump accumulated rain water from the flat pitched roof. Well, recently the dump feature failed to activate and the entire front arm, instead of folding and dumping water, collapsed breaking and bending multiple parts of the arm. Before you ask, there was no wind and only a gentle, steady rain...we were in the RV at the time. I contacted Carefree of Colorado and even sent them photos, per their request, only to be told they no longer manufacture that style arm (? poor design) and my only recourse was to replace both arms with the new "variable pitch arms" at a cost of +/- $700. Seems like a manufacturing defect but they offered no assistance nor would they sell the parts directly to me. Now, I usually don't slam the makers of products we have on these rigs, but I have to bite my tongue over Carefree's product and especially their customer service. Does anyone know of a salvage parts dealer that might have the part I need.

Then contact your insurance company and let them handle the repair. I seriously broke the manual awning on our former TT due to accumulated rain, and the $1200 replacement cost me the $100 deductible. They (Foremost) honored the claim even though I got it replaced before calling them.

Lou_and_Bette

Bret, looked at rvsurplus.net earlier and they didn't seem to have what I needed but will give them a call tomorrow. I'll also call Jakes since they don't have a catalog on line. My antivirus kicked the rverscorner out when it said there was a Trojan Horse there...tried going through putting the address in myself and the same thing happened BEWARE of this site. John, hadn't thought of the insurance thing but I have a $500 deductible...might be worth it if I have the arms dealer installed, just waiting on a quote from the repair guy. Thanks to you both