Carefree Travel'r Electric Awning Motor Repair

Stinger381

I lost my awning this past week and determined it was the motor that went bad. I pulled the motor and checked on the Carefree Website for the replacement part and a couple of RV parts dealers on the web as well. The places that did have the motor wanted upwards of $200 for a replacement. Whoa ... I thought that was extremely high for a 12v motor and continued searching the net and realized when I googled the part number that the motor and gear box is actually a part from 1996 Buick Regal. It is a Power Window motor for the right front driver's door. When I went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts to order the replacement it was only $33. A lot better than the $200+ that carefree wanted. Plus the replacement part has a lifetime replacement warranty. Just a little something that might help someone I the future.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That's good information to know. I am sure it will save a bunch of people some cash.
Oh, is this an English car??? Right front drivers door???:)

Peace
Dave

HornedToad

A thunderstorm blew my Carefree awning off the tracks and onto the roof of my trailer. Luckily I was able to pull it back down and put the arms back in the tracks but it broke the motor. Turned out to be a busted nylon gear that was only a few bucks for the part but I wound up paying an RV shop the minimum one hour labor to fix. A new motor for $33 bucks sounds like a lot better deal.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have always wondered why most after market things use GM parts. Even most Hot Rods parts are GM parts. My guess would be, the failures are because the are "new" China made parts......not a part in a GM box. A GM window motor would cost at least $200. If you look at the year of the car....it might even be a reman unit. I am sure for $33 its a reman part.

Stinger381

Well the remanufactured motor was only a dollar cheaper than a new motor. The new motor was $34 bucks ....take your pick I guess ....

This is for an American made left hand drive vehicle.

Rgill

I used a cardone motor #82-126. Purchased from O'reilly auto Parts.
Thanks so much for the part number.
May I ask, do you have the adjustable pitch awning? Ours is non adjustable and I really don't like the flat pitch. I wish it tilted down somewhat.
Ray

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I realize this is an old thread but I am in the same boat at this point. I have tested the switches and I have power going to the motor wires ( assuming that there is not a break in the wires between the switch and the motor. I can not figure out how to get to the motor to verify that I have power and then to replace it if it is bad. The Awning is in tight and there are no screws on the front of the motor housing. before I go just trying to pull things apart - can someone tell me the correct way to attack this?

IMG_2131.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

recumbent615

Thank you that is exactly what I needed - We should add that to the manuals in the tools section.

recumbent615

Thanks Dan. I'm Glad Mike had the link, because even with all my Google Skills I had no come up with it...

Kevin

recumbent615

SO to add just a little more information to this thread for those who find themselves in this same situation. I am going to add a few part numbers out there.

OEM Part number for this motor: GM1556102
ACI Part number for this motor: 82-326
Cardone Part Number for this motor: 42-127
Part number on my motor is CSD71P1
That is the MFG part number and will only result in hits for Carefree or an export company from China.

You will not find the GM part for sale, only the OEM but you can get a lot of hits for replacements when searching with the GM number. Be aware, if you buy on line some of these vendors are just drop shipping and I found some of the cheapest prices were being drop shipped from China with free shipping - but that takes weeks ( many ) to arrive... so be sure they have the part instock or better yet go to your local Parts Counter and have them get it from their warehouse. it will take a few days but no shipping.

The part is the rear driver side window motor.

Kevin

Huge thanks from me to all who provided me with the information to get this project "ordered" - I hope to complete it before next weekend.. if the Mass weather will co-operate...

Last edited:

wdk450

I seem to remember reading a similar thread that someone got this for a pretty good price at NAPA Auto Parts. Parts places that sell electric window motors should be able to cross the GM part number. If you have a car brand and model for the motor, you may be able to get it from Rock Auto online. I have had good experiences with getting Dodge Ram Truck parts from them.

danemayer

SO to add just a little more information to this thread for those who find themselves in this same situation. I am going to add a few part numbers out there.

OEM Part number for this motor: GM1556102
ACI Part number for this motor: 82-326
Cardone Part Number for this motor: 42-127
Part number on my motor is CSD71P1
That is the MFG part number and will only result in hits for Carefree or an export company from China.

You will not find the GM part for sale, only the OEM but you can get a lot of hits for replacements when searching with the GM number. Be aware, if you buy on line some of these vendors are just drop shipping and I found some of the cheapest prices were being drop shipped from China with free shipping - but that takes weeks ( many ) to arrive... so be sure they have the part instock or better yet go to your local Parts Counter and have them get it from their warehouse. it will take a few days but no shipping.

The part is the rear driver side window motor.

Kevin

Huge thanks from me to all who provided me with the information to get this project "ordered" - I hope to complete it before next weekend.. if the Mass weather will co-operate...
Hi Kevin,

Can you share with us your process for identifying and cross-referencing the motor part numbers.