Changed out OEM steps

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just ordered a set after one of our rivits popped. Yes you do need a shim kit which is only available from the manufacture.

Erika did you order the 25.5" steps. After speaking with Jarod at Torklift we needed to order two shim kits. Our width was exactly 27"

Ours are the 25.5" steps. I gave them my measurements and they sent the steps and one shim kit, (4 shims) but we needed actually 3 shims each side, so they sent another shim kit. Our opening was 27-1/8". The shim kit has adhesive strips on each shim, which made them easy to attach to the step frame and bolt into place. Longer bolts come with the shim kit and even 3 shims attached with the same bolts.

0708bcdc2ee8f80747aa7ae65a0a7f42.jpg

This is the side of the step housing, with three shims "stuck" to it.

rjr6150

Thanks Erika
Jarod told me we would need two shim kits also based on our width. Great company to work with.

Jpetrey

First trip update:
Before:View attachment 43376
After:View attachment 43377

What a world of difference they make. My wife is 4'9" and I built the deck for her to use the OEM steps.
They are very stable even with me in them.
View attachment 43378
---------------------------------------
Our last trip included a new addition to the steps the Dirt Destroyer attachment. it did a great did helping to keep dirt and mud out of the trailer.
IMG_1134.JPG

ram_1955

I'd like something like these but really need a five step and maybe if the steps adjust to the height could use a six step.
My wife has mobility issues and more shorter steps are better. I have thought about buying the the torklift glow steps in six step but not sure how it will fit or open and close. At $425 from trailer that is a lot of what if.

TravelTiger

I'd like something like these but really need a five step and maybe if the steps adjust to the height could use a six step.
My wife has mobility issues and more shorter steps are better. I have thought about buying the the torklift glow steps in six step but not sure how it will fit or open and close. At $425 from trailer that is a lot of what if.

Call them, they are very helpful on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

I installed the Tork Lift Steps. The steps adjust two levels at the top as well as the feet at the bottom. They are very sturdy and deploy easy. I love them. My wife likes that they are firm. She is an amputee and really needed the sturdiness of the steps. Well They are right side up down under!

IMG_1063.jpg IMG_1064.jpg

GOTTOYS

I just finished installing a four step unit in place of my wobbly three step set up. Very nice. One other feature that I like is that you can padlock them closed while in storage. One more reason for the crooks that want to break in to go look at someone elses trailer instead...Don

donr827

I just finished installing a four step unit in place of my wobbly three step set up. Very nice. One other feature that I like is that you can padlock them closed while in storage. One more reason for the crooks that want to break in to go look at someone elses trailer instead...Don

That's is a good idea and very little cost added to the stairs.
Don

TxCowboy

These steps are quickly working their way to the top of my "must have" list. The four step OEMs, even with an aftermarket brace under the bottom step, just isn't doing it for my 5 feet tall wife.

It appears you can take these steps and adjust them so that they are five step, not just four steps. Is that correct? That will also aid my aging cocker spaniel. And I do like the pet-safe inserts between the steps. Auggie (my cocker) has slipped coming up the OEM stairs and slid between the steps. Not pretty!

And while the extended hand rail looks good, it appears that won't work with Landmarks with their doors opening to the right and having a slide just to the left of that door. There appears to be no place to attach the horizontal brace. Unless I missed something in the videos?....

TravelTiger

Folks, please check with Torklift if you want to add a step. I don't know if adding one will help if the distance to the ground is not adequate for the steps to remain horizontal.

We just got back from a 1250 mile round trip. Stopping for restroom breaks for the two of us in the rig, and three different overnight parks, the steps were a hit!

It takes a little getting used to deploying and stowing, but once you do it a few times it gets easier to judge how far to pull them out and what level setting you use for the proper height.

I am beyond thrilled with them!

We showed them off to many folks at the Missouri Rally we attended, and all who watched us fold them up and deploy them were impressed, as well as those that walked up and down the steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk