Chesapeake Bay Campgrounds? Cherrystone Family Campground?

happyappy

Considering a trip to the Chesapeake Bay with wife and two older kids. Does anyone have experience with Cherrystone Family Camping Resort? It seems to get good reviews and would appear to have plenty to do.

I'd love to hear any other recommendations you may have as well.

Thanks!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The campground seems to have plenty to do for everyone. Unfortunately, I had a very unpleasant experience with their owners/management just trying to set up a rally there a couple of years ago and based on that will never go there. It also seems to have a propensity for some of the sites flooding according to reports I've seen.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
We stayed at Cherrystone one time, it was during a clam bake weekend. We had a nice site facing the Bay, however the clam bake was a BIG bust (burned clams, and ran out). You may enjoy the campground, but we have other choices now so I do not see us going back there. I do highly recommend Tall Pines Harbor Campground that is some 20 miles or so north of Cherrystone (it is opposite Chincoteague but located Bay side). We just had our Virginia Chapter Rally there in June. The campground has a theme or special just about every weekend with plenty to do onsite and surrounding area, and the owners aim to please. Another option is Kiptopeke State Park Campground, which is on the Bay just like Cherrystone, located just a few miles north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel exit on the Eastern Shore. We have not stayed at Kiptopeke yet, but friends have and they really liked it. Kiptopeke has full hook up sites as well.

happyappy

Thanks for the information and alternatives to look into. This will be my wife's first extended stay in the camper and I want to ensure it's a good one!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MdMike

I just left Cherrystone after a week visit last Sunday. It is clean, plenty to do for the kids (fishing, clamming, crabbing, swimming, arts/crafts, live entertainment, free Kayaks/Paddle Boats in the pond, Bike rentals and golf cart rentals)... There is a very nice public beach in Cape Charles (5 mins away). The campground was clean, sites were large enough to be creative with how you place your rig on the site. The staff was all courteous and helpful. We will be going back.

My only gripe was that I had a plumbing emergency in my rig and had to drive over 1 1/2 hours in rush hour traffic across the Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel to get parts as there were no parts available at the local hardware store or the campground. The drive was really only 30 mins one way but it was rush hour when I had to go to the Lowe's store in Hampton Va.

The crabbing, clamming and fishing was awesome. Crabbing and fishing from any of the piers is great on the incoming high tide. Clamming and soft crabbing was good as well.

Their store is well stocked (except for the odd fitting I needed for my plumbing emergency) and there is a lady on site with a produce stand selling a variety of fresh veggies/fruit as well as seafood (cooked or raw). The campground also has a cafe serving fresh seafood, subs, pizza and hand dipped Ice Cream and they have a great breakfast buffet on Sunday!

We had a fair amount of rain over a few days there and never noted any flooding.

I would give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars for a rating.